Topics

locked "Your groups"

Frances

Hi Mark,

This label “Your Groups" is duplicated in the navigation, but used to access different information.

On the black nav bar, it goes to a drop-down menu of your groups.
In the Inbox, it goes to useful details of your groups - your role, whether moderated or not (“approvals needed”), group size, number of recent messages and your delivery option.

I suggest you give these different labels. Perhaps keep “Your Groups” on the nav bar and use “Groups details” or something similar for the Inbox label.

This will help people navigate better on the website.

Frances

Frances,

I agree. The duplication doesn't look right. I think "Groups Details" may work, although two plural words together look a little strange to me. So I've been trying to think of another term for that screen. The best I could think of was 'Subscriptions', although that's a little generic. What do you think?

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Frances <travel@...> wrote:
Hi Mark,

This label “Your Groups" is duplicated in the navigation, but used to access different information.

On the black nav bar, it goes to a drop-down menu of your groups.
In the Inbox, it goes to useful details of your groups - your role, whether moderated or not (“approvals needed”), group size, number of recent messages and your delivery option.

I suggest you give these different labels. Perhaps keep “Your Groups” on the nav bar and use “Groups details” or something similar for the Inbox label.

This will help people navigate better on the website.

Frances

Frances

Hi

Yes, I think the plural form Subscriptions would work.

In the individual group, you use Subscription for that particular group and it includes some of the same info but just for the specific group.

Unless anyone else can come up with a better idea! It’s hard to get the name right.

Frances

On Jan 19 15, at 8:03 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Judy F.

I like Subscriptions, sometimes ‘generic’ is better.

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

[...]

I think I'd go with "Your Subscriptions" or even "Your Group Subscriptions" - at least for the page tab. For the menu drop-down, where space is more at a premium, "Subscriptions" alone may be sufficient.

I think the word "Your" serves to cue the user that this is a list of things they already have. Otherwise ones eyes might scan right past it, thinking it refers to things you're not looking for right now.

Like the "All My Groups" page in Yahoo Groups, I expect the "Your Groups" (or "Your Group Subscriptions") page to be an essential resource - at least for those users with more than one group subscription. It should always be one of the easy places for a novice user to find.

-- Shal

Judy F.

Having it explained that way, I agree.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

I like Subscriptions, sometimes "generic" is better.
I think I'd go with "Your Subscriptions" or even "Your Group Subscriptions"
- at least for the page tab. For the menu drop-down, where space is more at
a premium, "Subscriptions" alone may be sufficient.

I think the word "Your" serves to cue the user that this is a list of things
they already have. Otherwise ones eyes might scan right past it, thinking it
refers to things you're not looking for right now.

Like the "All My Groups" page in Yahoo Groups, I expect the "Your Groups"
(or "Your Group Subscriptions") page to be an essential resource - at least
for those users with more than one group subscription. It should always be
one of the easy places for a novice user to find.

-- Shal

I changed it to 'Your Subscriptions'. I think that's definitely better, because on that page you can modify your subscriptions. I think 'Your Groups' in the black header makes sense because you use that to go to a particular group.

Unless someone has a better idea. :)

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 1:29 AM, J. Faulkner <jfaulkner44@...> wrote:
Having it explained that way, I agree.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

> I like Subscriptions, sometimes "generic" is better.

I think I'd go with "Your Subscriptions" or even "Your Group Subscriptions"
- at least for the page tab. For the menu drop-down, where space is more at
a premium, "Subscriptions" alone may be sufficient.

I think the word "Your" serves to cue the user that this is a list of things
they already have. Otherwise ones eyes might scan right past it, thinking it
refers to things you're not looking for right now.

Like the "All My Groups" page in Yahoo Groups, I expect the "Your Groups"
(or "Your Group Subscriptions") page to be an essential resource  - at least
for those users with more than one group subscription. It should always be
one of the easy places for a novice user to find.

-- Shal

About that Your Groups in the black header, I am seeing a white  "1" inside of a grey circle.  When I click on it to view the drop down menu, I see that the "1" is next to Shal's test group.  When I click on that group, I see the "1" next to Members.  I click on Members and don't see it next to any of the members' names.  I am guessing that it means there is a new member; but the newest member joined the group 17 days ago.

If the "1" means something else, can you explain, please?  If it means what I think it means, how long will it stay there?  Is there a way to remove it?

Donna

Donna,

About that Your Groups in the black header, I am seeing a white "1"
inside of a grey circle. When I click on it to view the drop down
menu, I see that the "1" is next to Shal's test group. When I click
on that group, I see the "1" next to Members. I click on Members and
don't see it next to any of the members' names. ...

If the "1" means something else, can you explain, please?
It meant that there was one pending member. Since November. Oops, not sure why I was ignoring that.

Is there a way to remove it?
It should go away now that I've approved the member.

-- Shal

Duane

I figured out that the number is the total number of people and/or messages awaiting approval. At that point I usually go to what is now named Your Subscriptions (https://groups.io/groups) and it shows which of those are pending on each group. You could also go to the group and it will show the individual numbers next to Pending or Members. I'm the owner of the groups where I've seen this. I don't know if mods would see it or not. Probably depends on their permissions.

Duane

Shal and Duane, thank you for your input.  I no longer see the '1' so, what Shal did fixed it.  I'm a moderator on the test group and now wonder if there are degrees of moderator abilities.  I know that the group at one time had sent an alert to my email inbox saying there was a pending member.  But, it didn't do it this time.  If the number shows as I described in my previous message.  I'm wondering why, when I clicked on Members, I did not see the '1' on any of the tabs?

You should only get the numbers for groups in which you're a moderator/owner and for which you have the correct privileges to act on whoever/whatever needs approval.

Mark