Topics

locked yahoogroup message archive transfer?

Green Fizzpops

Hi

I own a 10 year old support yahoogroup of about 300 members and 10 moderators. We've been experiencing more and more broken functionality lately so I've been looking for alternatives and found groups.io and it looks awesome.

I've read up on the easy group membership transfer, which is nifty.

My question is : is it possible to transfer the message archive? It is pretty valuable to us. I'd be happy with just copying over all the first posts (not replies) of the 10 moderators and the owner address as a bare minimum. I have all group emails from july 2005 to april 2007 in a folder of a yahoomail account and all group emails under a label of a gmail account from april 2007 to present day. I saw tantalising mention of using hashtags to silently "load" messages into a group, but could not find further details?

Green

Green,

My question is : is it possible to transfer the message archive?
No (not yet?).

There is a tool to download a copy of your Yahoo Group's messages, but there's no tool for uploading it somewhere else.
http://yahoogroupedia.pbworks.com/Chrome+Application+To+Download+Messages

And, there is a permission issue with doing that: Yahoo makes it pretty clear that you need your contributing members' permission:
http://info.yahoo.com/guidelines/us/yahoo/groups/
(item 5)

It is pretty valuable to us. I'd be happy with just copying over all the
first posts (not replies) of the 10 moderators and the owner address as
a bare minimum.
That would cover the permission issue then.

I saw tantalising mention of using hashtags to silently "load" messages
into a group, but could not find further details?
That mechanism has at least two defects for this purpose. First is that the messages "loaded" this way would be attributed to ("From") the person doing the loading, not the original poster. Second, they would be dated as of the date loaded and appear in that order in the message lists. The first may not be a problem for your limited case, the second is harder to guess.

To do it, you create a hashtag and give it the NoEmail property. Then you send (via email) or post (via web) those messages with that hashtag in the subject line. For your purpose you might name the hashtag "history" or "archive" or something like that indicating that these are messages copied from the old group.

An altogether different approach is to leave the old groups' content in place at the Yahoo Group as the archive of its content. For more detail see:

-- Shal

Hi Green,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 2:57 PM, Green Fizzpops <greenfizzpops@...> wrote:

My question is : is it possible to transfer the message archive? It is pretty valuable to us. I'd be happy with just copying over all the first posts (not replies) of the 10 moderators and the owner address as a bare minimum.

I would be happy to work with you to import your archives. As Shal mentioned, the Yahoo ToS means that we can only import the messages from the posters who have given permission. The archives should be in mbox format if possible. Send me an email off-list and we'll get started.

Cheers,
Mark