Topics

moderated What is the algorithm for the display order of groups after entering a keyword search? #misc

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 11:52 AM, Marv Waschke wrote:
The sort order of the results of a search and the search itself are different beasts.
Yes, and hey, have a look at my bug post. That's correct and it looks like the page itself was designed to search (filter) on a term, and then display the results ordered on the user's choice of criterion from among those offered at the left (most active, most popular, newest, name). The bug is that if you select anything besides "by name," and you enter a search term (which the page allows you to do even if you don't select "by name" - it does not gray out the search box), the sort criterion jumps down to "by name" and wipes out your selection. The results are then displayed in reverse alpha (not forward alpha) order by group name. (That's a secondary small bug or inconsistency. If you do select "by name" and do *not* enter a search term, the results, namely all the public groups in existence, are displayed by forward, not reverse, alpha order.)

Marv Waschke

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 12:01 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
To be even more ;) pedantic, in SQL and similar query languages, SELECT is not the same as ORDER BY, nor are the things selected or ordered.
Exactly!
I'll add that this search page was fine when gio had only a few hundred groups, but a lot of the frustration here stems from the length of the lists now that gio has grown to tens of thousands of groups. Without filtering the list before sorting the results, the result list almost unusable if the search criteria are not narrow, but narrowing the search criteria in a way that will produce a useful result set sorted only by group name is difficult. Outfits like Google have invested millions on millions of dollars in developing searches that return what users expect rather than the criteria they enter. We can't anticipate that from gio, but all the suggestions here point to ways the search could be greatly improved without massive investment.

Best, Marv

ro-esp

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 08:52 PM, Marv Waschke wrote:

Here's a little background on how searches like this work.
good call

The first, and default, is Most Popular. The group with the most members
appears first. The group with the next largest membership appear next, and so
on.

Next is Most Active. The group with the most topics appears first.
What do you mean by "topics"? Threads or messages?

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

Marv Waschke

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 04:05 PM, ro-esp wrote:
What do you mean by "topics"? Threads or messages?
The number sorted on is labeled "Topics".  In gio-speak, I think topics usually refers to threads rather than individual messages. But I could be wrong. I didn't verify.

Best, Marv

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 10:27 AM, Marv Waschke wrote:
In gio-speak, I think topics usually refers to threads rather than individual messages
Not usually. Always.