Topics

locked What is Facebook 2 (was Calendar is live)

Mark,

When you say that Groups.io not be turned into Facebook 2, I'm not sure
I understand. Is that because you don't think there should be likes, or
is it something more?
One of the consistent complaints in the Yahoo Groups community about "becoming Facebook" had to do with the style of presenting messages, and authoring replies.

In classic Yahoo Groups the message list had three views available to the user:

"Simple", which showed just the subject, author and date:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shalf/10130300773/in/set-72157636272401705

"Summaries", which added a summary of the content (much as Groups.io's Thread and Message View of the Archives):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shalf/10130179514/in/set-72157636272401705

"Expanded", which showed the whole message bodies:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shalf/10130171945/in/set-72157636272401705

If I recall correctly one of the short-lived redesigns copied Facebook even to the extent of displaying the message archive as a list of topics, with the replies inline under the topic, much as a Facebook status update and its comments.

The other factor that was considered Facebook-like was opening up a reply inline with the message, and not providing for a quote of the original message (marked with the standard plain-text > indentation) in the edit box for the reply. This, alas, is replicated in Groups.io, leaving those who read by email in the dark for context. It also makes it difficult for me to practice my preferred style of interspersed quote and reply when addressing a longer message, or any message with more than one point.

Many of us were more comfortable with a Reply interface that more closely resembled an email message composition window after clicking "Reply".

-- Shal
(Classic Yahoo Groups's web UI could be modelled, in many ways, as simply a group-enhanced webmail MUA.)

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 7:53 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

The other factor that was considered Facebook-like was opening up a reply inline with the message, and not providing for a quote of the original message (marked with the standard plain-text > indentation) in the edit box for the reply. This, alas, is replicated in Groups.io, leaving those who read by email in the dark for context. It also makes it difficult for me to practice my preferred style of interspersed quote and reply when addressing a longer message, or any message with more than one point.

Yeah, that's a missing feature. It's on the todo list.

Many of us were more comfortable with a Reply interface that more closely resembled an email message composition window after clicking "Reply".

Not sure I understand. Click Reply and have it refresh to a new window instead of opening up inline?

Mark,

Many of us were more comfortable with a Reply interface that more
closely resembled an email message composition window after clicking
"Reply".
Not sure I understand. Click Reply and have it refresh to a new window
instead of opening up inline?
It wasn't so much about refreshing the page (an artifact of how classic groups was built) as about the evident capabilities. Both in terms of editing the body and controlling header fields.

Some of the redesigns presented little more than a postage-stamp text box in which to type your reply. Too reminiscent of Facebook's "Write a comment..." box, and implying too much that a reply should be minimal and without context (quoted original).

In the Neo re-design of Yahoo Groups it took forever to get them to open a decent size edit box, and to show the formatting toolbar - they initially hid it behind a button one had to click to add formatting. Even now the To and From fields are hidden behind an "Expand header" button.

In that regard Neo now has a few legs up on Groups.io - your Group Reply button offers no ability for a moderator to send the reply "From" the +owner address, nor to direct a reply to the member or to +owner rather than the group. Nor to change the Subject.

-- Shal