Topics

locked Welcome

Hello,

There have been several new subscribers to beta in the last couple of days. If you're one of them, welcome! I'm always looking for feedback about groups.io. Did you have any issues registering/subscribing? Are there parts of groups.io that are not clear? I want to hear about it.

A quick update: digest subscriptions were added on Wednesday. I haven't announced them yet, because I'm still tweaking them a bit. They're a little different than 'normal' digests, in that, anything you've muted (threads or hashtags) will not show up in the digests. So, everybody's digest will be a little different, depending on what they've muted.

Also, several improvements have been made to the website when viewing it on mobile devices. Viewing it on a phone isn't a great experience yet, but it's better than before. And it's something that'll be continuously improved.

I'm also currently working on calendar events, polls and sign up sheets.

Cherrill <cdjamieson@...>

I did not have any trouble joining your group.  I have not looked completely over the website as yet; but I see there are quite a few groups already there.  At some point, I suspect those groups will have to be categorized to make it easier for people to find the type of group they want.

I have small yahoo groups and generally no one is on digest; but we do use the calendar so that will be a nice addition.  We do put up pictures often as well.

thank you for going to so much trouble to open up a better option to whatever it is yahoo groups are presently doing to everyone.

Cherrill
I've learned that being kind is more important than being right.

On Oct 10, 2014, at 11:15 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Hello

I've just joined the group and had no problems doing so, but I do have two queries:

1. I don't understand what hashtags are or what they are for. Can you explain please?

2. I don't see any mention of uploaded files in the way Yahoo offers. I own a few small Yahoo groups, and this is one of the few facilities, other than email of course, that we use. Some of them occasionally put up photos as well, and in one case the links section is used (again, I see no sign of one here). Am I asking for facilities still on the to do list, perhaps?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Hashtags are words that start with '#'. In the case of Groups.io, they only apply to the subject of a message. So, if you send a message to your group with the subject 'This is a sample message #test', the message will be categorized with the hashtag '#test'.

You can search the archives by hashtags. And you can set hashtags so that any messages tagged with them will be deleted automatically after a specified period of time..

One potential use: intros. Tell people when they join your group that they should post an intro message about themselves, and have them tag it with #intro. Then, you can search on the #intro hashtag and see everyone's intros.

Another potential use is for neighborhood groups with people offering things for sale. Those messages can be tagged with #forsale, and that tag could be configured such that messages tagged with it are automatically deleted from the archives after a month. So you're not left with a bunch of for sale messages in the archives that no longer apply.

Hope that explains it. They are, of course, completely optional. Clearly I need to do more on the site to explain them, as they're a new concept for email groups.

As for files and photos, we do not currently have a dedicated area for those. It's definitely on the todo list.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Jim Fisher <ejf@...> wrote:
Hello

I've just joined the group and had no problems doing so, but I do have two queries:

1. I don't understand what hashtags are or what they are for. Can you explain please?

2. I don't see any mention of uploaded files in the way Yahoo offers. I own a few small Yahoo groups, and this is one of the few facilities, other than email of course, that we use. Some of them occasionally put up photos as well, and in one case the links section is used (again, I see no sign of one here). Am I asking for facilities still on the to do list, perhaps?

Thanks,

Jim

Cherrill <cdjamieson@...>

Mark,
Is it possible to put a photo directly into the email.  Or a gif of some sort .. I will try here and see if it shows up.

On Oct 10, 2014, at 1:27 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

lol, yes, it is possible.

On Oct 10, 2014, at 1:34 PM, Cherrill <cdjamieson@...> wrote:

[...]

Oh, I just remembered one other cool thing about hashtags. Members can mute specific hashtags, which means they'll never see messages tagged with the muted hashtags. If someone isn't interested in #forsale messages, for example, they can mute that tag and they'll never see the messages. And you can combine this with integrations. If you've using the Feed integration to get blog posts into your group, those posts can be tagged with a specific hashtag. Members who aren't interested in seeing the blog posts can just mute that tag.

Mark

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like your hashtags are similar to tags on
Tumblr but with a few useful extra facilities attached. Good stuff.

Jim

--
http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom

Frances

Hi, another newbie!
Easy to add the subscription but then I decided I wanted some kind of digest so I am not inundated by messages throughout the day.
I am not sure about the wording of the option - Group messages together as one email instead of individually.
I am assuming you mean "daily digest". All the day's messages come together.
Perhaps you don't want to use that term, but perhaps something such as:

Get daily messages as one email instead of receiving individual emails. Maximum of one email per day
or
Get the day's messages in one email instead of individually.
or
Daily digest: Group messages together as one email instead of individually.

Otherwise, it isn't clear how often you get them, if there is traffic every day. Grouping also just sounds like threading which some people hate!

Thanks for the suggestion Frances. I've changed the text.

Mark