Topics

moderated Weird message title in group activity log #bug

The log entry for a recently sent message looks like this:
[name redacted] <[redacted] @hotmail.com> sent message #29269, =?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFtGZWxpbmVfU0NMXSBSdXN0eeKAmXMgc2lkZSBlZmZlY3Rz?= via email

Another one this morning, from a different member:
[name and email address redacted] sent message #29279, =?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFJ1c3R54oCZcyBzaWRlIGVmZmVjdHM=?= via web

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 08:29 AM, J_Catlady wrote:

[name and email address redacted] sent message #29279,
=?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFJ1c3R54oCZcyBzaWRlIGVmZmVjdHM=?= (
It's a base64 encode. If you go to https://www.base64decode.org/ and put the "UmU6IFJ1c3R54oCZcyBzaWRlIGVmZmVjdHM=" part of that message into the upper box and hit the DECODE button, it translates to "Re: Rusty’s side effects".

Chances are it shouldn't be written this way into the Group Activity Log.

JohnF

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 06:42 AM, JohnF wrote:
Chances are it shouldn't be written this way into the Group Activity Log.
Ya think? ;)

Just wanted to point out that yesterday's message was via email and today's was via the web. So it's happening from both sources.

Mark,
Here's a link to my group's activity log, in case you want to check this out:
https://groups.io/g/Feline_Smallcell_Lymphoma/activity
The message numbers are 29273 and 29279.
Thanks.

Dave Sergeant

UTF-8 is not supported in email headers, including subject lines, as
everything in the header should be plain text. But for some reason I
have seen some GIO messages with UTF-8 subject lines.

Dave

On 10 Mar 2021 at 6:42, JohnF via groups.io wrote:

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 08:29 AM, J_Catlady wrote:

[name and email address redacted] sent message #29279,
=?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFJ1c3R54oCZcyBzaWRlIGVmZmVjdHM=?= (
It's a base64 encode. If you go to https://www.base64decode.org/ and
put the "UmU6IFJ1c3R54oCZcyBzaWRlIGVmZmVjdHM=" part of that message into
the upper box and hit the DECODE button, it translates to "Re: RustyTMs
side effects".

Chances are it shouldn't be written this way into the Group Activity
Log.

JohnF

http://davesergeant.com

Duane

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 09:30 AM, Dave Sergeant wrote:
But for some reason I
have seen some GIO messages with UTF-8 subject lines.
I see them now and then.  They always seem to originate with phones and Yahoo mail that use base64.  I haven't noticed any others.

Duane

The emailed one was from hotmail and the web one was from gmail. Pretty sure that the gmail user was on her iphone. I can check.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 6:22 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
The log entry for a recently sent message looks like this:
[name redacted] <[redacted] @hotmail.com> sent message #29269, =?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFtGZWxpbmVfU0NMXSBSdXN0eeKAmXMgc2lkZSBlZmZlY3Rz?= via email

This should be fixed now for all activity log entries.