Topics

moderated Web notifications now enabled #update

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 07:45 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Not sure who that question was addressed to
Apologies, I think was actually addressed to you but as I was also reporting FF issues I responded.

Andy

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 11:45 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Not sure who that question was addressed to, but I'm also using Firefox 77.0.1. (64-bit). To be absolutely sure, I just updated after getting the question and still have the issue.

Unfortunately I currently don't have any ideas why notifications don't work in your Firefox. I have them working in mine.

Mark

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:37 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 06:29 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Firefox notifications should now be working. Also, I've added a 'Send A Test Notification' button to the notifications page.
Hi Mark,

if I send a test notification from Firefox on my laptop, I do not receive anything on Firefox on my mobile.

TIL Firefox mobile restricts the size of the notification payload. It should be fixed now. Hopefully.

Thanks,
Mark 

Uh-oh. I didn't tell you my OS. It's the obsolete ol' El Capitan, the same one that got me into trouble with Safari. Could that be affecting this? I've been putting off updating as long as I could. Maybe will get a new PC soon anyway.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 11:45 AM J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Not sure who that question was addressed to, but I'm also using Firefox 77.0.1. (64-bit). To be absolutely sure, I just updated after getting the question and still have the issue.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

--
J

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

--
J

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 07:39 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
What version of Firefox are you using?
Firefox Version 77.0.1 (64-bit)
OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.18363 Build 18363

Andy

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:41 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Desktop notifications are not supported in this browser.

What version of Firefox are you using?

Mark 

Also, since I can't enable the current thing, I have no idea what the possibilities are for other places they could pop up. or what you have in mind. So a description of what you have in mind now, and the possible options you're thinking about for where they could appear, would also help. Otherwise I'm totally in the dark and can't possibly venture an opinion.....
--
J

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 11:28 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I’d want to see a complete list of current and planned notifications. 
To put it another way: I'd want to know the "what" before trying to figure out the "how"

--
J

Mark,

To answer that I’d want to see a complete list of current and planned notifications. 

But even before that I’d like to know why I’m still getting “not supported on this browser.” What the heck is this, a beta test group or something? 😁

On Jun 16, 2020, at 11:11 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi J,

I think the biggest thing left to figure out about notifications is where they should appear. Existing group notifications are just emails. They get sent to members, they appear in the Messages/Topics pages. Should they be pulled out into their own section?

Mark

--
J

Hi J,

I think the biggest thing left to figure out about notifications is where they should appear. Existing group notifications are just emails. They get sent to members, they appear in the Messages/Topics pages. Should they be pulled out into their own section?

Mark

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:41 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
and desktop browser
However, I appreciate this revision of the text ^^^

--
J

I still see only the following under "Notifications" in Firefox on a Mac laptop. I've checked both my system preferences for notifications and my firefox and nothing is disabled:
-----

In addition to email, you can receive notifications about events through push notifications on your mobile device and desktop browser.

You currently have no devices enabled to receive notifications.

Note: Notifications are activated per device and desktop browser. To receive notifications on multiple devices, sign in on each device, enable notifications, and make sure you're online.

Desktop notifications are not supported in this browser.

--
J

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 06:29 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Firefox notifications should now be working. Also, I've added a 'Send A Test Notification' button to the notifications page.
Hi Mark,

if I send a test notification from Firefox on my laptop, I do not receive anything on Firefox on my mobile.

Regards,
Andy

Hi All,

Thanks,
Mark

Yay! Thanks, Mark!

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 8:00 AM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi J,

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 9:08 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

All these years I’ve been thinking that the planned “notification overhaul” I’ve been fantasizing about, and eagerly awaiting, would consist of including more information as possible notification options - e,g., “sent message to member,” and all the other many notifications that are “missing” and have been requested. I didn’t think that the overhaul would consist of the notification *method*. I thought it was going to be about *content*. So while I have no objection (at least so far;) to this new method besides the fact that it’s initially confusing, I am still hoping that you also plan to add notification content. Is that a correct assumption?

Yep, that's coming.

Thanks,
Mark 

--
J

Hi J,

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 9:08 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

All these years I’ve been thinking that the planned “notification overhaul” I’ve been fantasizing about, and eagerly awaiting, would consist of including more information as possible notification options - e,g., “sent message to member,” and all the other many notifications that are “missing” and have been requested. I didn’t think that the overhaul would consist of the notification *method*. I thought it was going to be about *content*. So while I have no objection (at least so far;) to this new method besides the fact that it’s initially confusing, I am still hoping that you also plan to add notification content. Is that a correct assumption?

Yep, that's coming.

Thanks,
Mark 

Dave Sergeant

And for information:
https://www.palemoon.org/info-url/push.shtml
Push notifications in Pale Moon

Web Push allows websites to notify users of new messages or updated
content. While the browser is open, websites who have been granted
permissions can send notifications to your browser and display them on
the screen, even when you don't have a page open to that website.

For privacy reasons, Web Push is not considered a supported feature in
Pale Moon; the DOM interface is disabled by default (indicating to
sites it's not a supported API) and Pale moon does not include the UI
components to properly deal with Web Push, so even if you enable it in
the advanced configuration editor, it may not provide you with the
controls or interface to properly manage it. Do not enable this
platform feature in Pale Moon.

On 16 Jun 2020 at 6:57, Dave Sergeant wrote:

I get the "Desktop notifications are not supported in this browser."
message. This is on Palemoon (Firefox compatible), it looks like a
fairly restricted subset of browsers are supported at the moment.
Dave

http://davesergeant.com

Bruce,

Although I've just enabled it (Chrome/W10), I'm still not seeing any
function by which to receive or retrieve a "web push notification."
I'm with you. Although I see the new UI controls (drop-list for moderator notifications, checkbox for hashtags) I don't see any hint of notifications, even when I deliberately take an action that should provoke one.

I checked Firefox's exclusion list for sites where I've blocked notifications, Groups.io was not in that list. I've now added it as Allowed. I turned off Cortana's hiding of notifications because it thought I had a window full screen somewhere.

No clue what else to check.

At least I found out where to look - in the address bar or hanging under it (if browsed to Groups.io). Not sure where if it is a push, probably lower right corner of the main display, as Thunderbird does.

Shal
Firefox 77.0.1 (64-bit)
Win 10 Pro 1903.

Dave Sergeant

Yes, also in the dark and trying to get my head round it.

I get the "Desktop notifications are not supported in this browser."
message. This is on Palemoon (Firefox compatible), it looks like a
fairly restricted subset of browsers are supported at the moment.

Since I do everything via email it is not something I would use myself
anyway.

Dave

On 15 Jun 2020 at 21:50, J_Catlady wrote:

Mark, I'm in the dark on this.

http://davesergeant.com