Topics

moderated web-based questionnaire for restricted groups a pressing issue #suggestion

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 09:40 am, Chris Jones wrote:
We would at least see every application when it was submitted.
How would that happen just by making the send manual? You still would not see applications originating from email until after they're confirmed. That would have to be a change made by Mark. And once they're confirmed, I don't see any advantage to having to send the Pending Sub notice by hand. We can assume the system dutifully attempts to send it. Whether or not it reaches the person would be independent of whether groups.io sent it or we asked groups.io to send it via the tab.

Chris Jones

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 09:50 am, J_Catlady wrote:
How would that happen just by making the send manual? You still would not see applications originating from email until after they're confirmed.
Ah... are you referring to applicants who do not already have a Groups.io Account? As I (mis?)read things "confirmation" only applies to those who do not have an account at the time of application, and I assume that it is a protection against spoof requests. For myself I have no wish to see unconfirmed applications, but fully accept that others might think differently.

However, "confirmed applications" by email that are invisible until the applicant has answered the Pending Subscription message are a different matter entirely. If I have read things correctly web applications appear immediately while those by emails remain hidden pending the response. If sending the P/S message was "manual" then automated P/S sending would be "off", meaning that email applications would be immediately visible.

I think..

Regards,

Chris

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 10:07 am, Chris Jones wrote:
are you referring to applicants who do not already have a Groups.io Account? As I (mis?)read things "confirmation" only applies to those who do not have an account at the time of application
No. This is independent of whether or not they're already a groups.io member. As Shal just explained, "confirmation" for current groups.io members means "confirmation that they want to join the particular group." It needs (badly) to be reworded in all forms of communication.

If I have read things correctly web applications appear immediately while those by emails remain hidden pending the response.
No. Email applications remain "hidden" until the member confirms. After confirmation, they appear as pending members as immediately as web applicants do

Chris Jones

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 10:35 am, J_Catlady wrote:
No. Email applications remain "hidden" until the member confirms. After confirmation, they appear as pending members as immediately as web applicants do
That's not so bad from "our" perspective then.

Thanks.

Chris

Patty Sliney

Mark, I'd like to revive this old thread if I might, to see if having a Comments section (and the ability for the list owner to set it as a required feature for their list) in the Membership Request screen is on the list of things to add to Groups.IO?  That comments section in Y!G is used pretty frequently for list owners, as a screening tool.  I am hoping it's on the list of things you're planning on adding?  Thanks so much for considering this.

Patty S.

I just wanted to add my own +1 to this request. It would be helpful in our group to have more information about a potential member besides their email address, and a questionnaire (or even a text box) would go a long way to help us in moderating new users!

Thanks,

Nick

Marina

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:26 PM, Nick Schweitzer wrote:

It would be helpful in our
group to have more information about a potential member besides their email
address, and a questionnaire (or even a text box) would go a long way to help
us in moderating new users!
I know that this feature is on Trello and I know that Mark has loads of different requests, but I am really looking forward to see it implemented. My moderators and I spend quite a bit of time soliciting prospective members to introduce themselves (as required by the Pending Member message).

Thanks,
Marina

Nancy Funk

I hadn't seen this topic before, but as an owner of a group of people who meet in person with our children, I would love to have the ability to have a member questionnaire. As it is now when someone applies to our group we send them to a google forms application that needs to be completed before we allow them to join our group. So I've got to monitor not only the member request here on GIO, but also the google form and then transfer some of their info to a database here. It would be awesome to be able to have the full application process all in one place. The idea Mark stated earlier of having an application that allows owners the ability to decide what information to share to the entire group and what info to keep for mods eyes only is terrific. We were able to do this on BigTent, unfortunately, they are shutting down. While we love the simplicity of GIO, we do miss the ability to more fully screen our applicants without the use of another outside website.