locked we need a better name for this website! so that people can remember it easily! how about "EGROUPS"?!! Please comment!!!! #suggestion

Steven M

hi everyone. I have a suggestion; we need to pick a much better name for this site!!! I have been trying to repeatedly tell other about this site and its great features!!! there is just one problem.... they forget the name of the site or how to find it, within  ten seconds after I have told it to them repeatedly!!

No one remembers the name "groups.io. they forget the name ten seconds after they talk to me... even if I said it to them ten or twenty times!!!

  • so here's my suggestion: can we please call this site "eGroups"?

Do you see the benefits of using this as a name?!! since that was the original name anyway!!

How about we attach that name to this site, where it truly, truly belongs??!!! or how about we call it "iGroups"??!! either of those seem fine to me!! please reply, and let me know what you think. I appreciate any and all feedback, comments, ideas, etc.

Thanks!!!!

Steven

Glenn Glazer

On 01/25/2022 17:02, Steven M via groups.io wrote:
No one remembers the name "groups.io. they forget the name ten seconds after they talk to me... even if I said it to them ten or twenty times!!!

Respectfully, I've never had this problem. All of my group members of my various groups seem to remember the name easily enough when they need it.

Best,

Glenn

--
#calcare
PG&E Delenda Est

Would that be like Facebook changing to "Meta"? ;)

Joseph Hudson

Steven, I'm sorry but I cannot before this proposal, because it has been groups.io since the very beginning of the service and I've been a part of the service since the beginning. And I think that would make a lot of us have to change our group addresses and everything else and I think that would just be a big problem for a lot of people. May I make a suggestion, that you send them a link to your group homepage, that way that they can market as a favorite so that they can remember where your side is located.

On Jan 25, 2022, at 7:02 PM, Steven M via groups.io <sm890.geo@...> wrote:

[...]

I agree, we need to leave it ast groups.io

[...]

Armando L. Vias

I also agree as well. I suggest that you send a link to them.

[...]

Dave Daniel

Please, someone, kill this thread? We are not going to rename groups.io.

DaveD

On 1/25/2022 8:02 PM, Steven M via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Avast logo

Andy

Seriously, I thought this was a joke!  Especially with EGROUPS (eGroups) in the subject line.  That's cruel.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 08:28 PM, Andy wrote:
Especially with EGROUPS (eGroups) in the subject line
This is going over my head. Please explain. ;)

Andy

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 11:32 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
This is going over my head. Please explain. ;)

As I understand it, one of the early mail list services of this kind was ONElist, which was created by Mark Fletcher, back in the previous century.

Later, ONElist merged with his competitor, eGroups.

Then they were bought out by Yahoo and it became Yahoo!Groups.

Andy

Bob Bellizzi

Egroups is what Mark Fletcher sold to Yahoo.  We went from ecircles to egroups when they merger to Yahoo.
Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Bob
--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers

This is going over my head. Please explain. ;)
J-
The long version:
https://onelist.wingedpig.com/

Dano

>>> so here's my suggestion: can we please call this site "eGroups"?

Egroups.com/.net are not available so Egroups.io wouldn't be too much of an improvement over Groups.io

Cheers,
Christos

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 02:12 AM, Steven M wrote:
No one remembers the name "groups.io. they forget the name ten seconds after they talk to me
Is that a problem with the message or the messenger 😉   Seriously though, a name change would impact every group and user. There are tens of thousands of groups listed in the public directory alone and the number of users must be in the millions (there are over 1 million subscribed to the Updates group alone).  It has been called Groups.io since its inception so I don't really see a name change happening. I've got members in my group of 1100+ who say they they like it; they don't it or that they wish it had other features but those are different matters. I've just never had anyone say they cannot remember the name Groups.io.

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 03:43 AM, Dave Daniel wrote:
Please, someone, kill this thread?
Surely all suggestions are valid if the OP believes it will help the use of the system.

We are not going to rename groups.io.
Well, that would be Mark's decision but given the level of support this suggestion has received and the and effort spent developing the platform under the name Groups.io, I don't see it happening.

Regards
Andy

Chris Jones

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 02:12 AM, Steven M wrote:
No one remembers the name "groups.io. they forget the name ten seconds after they talk to me... even if I said it to them ten or twenty times!!!
What? No one? IMHO that is a rather sweeping over - generalisation.

  • so here's my suggestion: can we please call this site "eGroups"?
Preferably NO

As an aside (again IMHO) very few arguments are enhanced by the excessive use of ! and ? This isn't one of those very few.

Chris

Andy

I am still unconvinced that this suggestion was not some sort of cruel joke.

Or a troll.

Andy

It is also possible that Steven M doesn't know that top-level domain names are limited.  Maybe Steven thinks the domain name should be nothing more than "egroups" -- without the ".com" or ".io" or whatever.

On the one hand, this thread should be killed. On the other hand, I am watching it with a kind of perverse fascination ;)

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 02:24 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
No one remembers the name "groups.io.
Actually I've seen a bunch of group members refer to it as "io groups" or just "io." :-)