Topics

locked View selections

Laurence Taylor

On 21/11/2014 23:49, Shal Farley wrote:
Laurence,

> If it could be turned on or off by the user, that would be nice for
> both camps.

Actually, I shouldn't have used the word "options", as that might imply
needing to go to a settings page somewhere to change it. What I mean is
an immediately accessible control to let the individual user choose the
viewing style that suits that user's needs of the moment. The user's
choice should be remembered from session to session, naturally.
I don't mind a settings page, as long as it's easy to find and use. Some
are so hidden and convoluted I suspect the compay doesn't want anyone to
use them.

--
rgds
LAurence

LAurence,

I don't mind a settings page, as long as it's easy to find and use.
I don't mind a settings pages either, they are perfectly appropriate for some controls.

In Groups.io examples would be the controls in one's "Edit Profile" pages, or the choice of Email Delivery in one's Subscription page.

But I wouldn't want to have to go to the Subscription page to switch the Archive View between "Threads" and "Messages", nor to flip the date sorting order; I believe those (and the new controls I suggested) properly belong "in situ" - easily accessible on the page they control.

It can be even better if they are direct affordances, rather than choices in a menu. This can be subtle (the fact that the "Date" button immediately flips the order, rather than opening a menu where you need a second click to select "latest" or "oldest" first).

Or it can be more integrated. Such as having a movable bar on the screen that separates the message list from the preview of the selected message - and being able to turn off preview by simply sliding that bar all the way to the edge of the window. No menu needed.

But I'm not really a UI/UX expert, so I'll just throw the ideas out there without claiming that they are certainly the best (or even a better) way to do it. Sometimes it is more important to do things in a consistent fashion than to do a particular thing in the "slickest" fashion. A coherent UI goes a long way to making a site feel natural and easy to use, even if it has lots of powerful capabilities.

That's a lesson Yahoo badly failed in the Neo redesign. Every type of list of messages (pending, possible spam, archive, search results, and pending Pinboard posts when that existed) has a different appearance and different affordances for viewing, navigating, and interacting with the messages. That tends to make a site feel complex even when it can't actually do much.

-- Shal

Hey All,

I have been paying attention to the discussion, but I'm not sure yet what the right answer for all this is. But I did just add an option in archives for 'Expanded Message View' which gets you the individual messages displayed in date order.

Mark

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
LAurence,

> I don't mind a settings page, as long as it's easy to find and use.

I don't mind a settings pages either, they are perfectly appropriate for some controls.

In Groups.io examples would be the controls in one's "Edit Profile" pages, or the choice of Email Delivery in one's Subscription page.

But I wouldn't want to have to go to the Subscription page to switch the Archive View between "Threads" and "Messages", nor to flip the date sorting order; I believe those (and the new controls I suggested) properly belong "in situ" - easily accessible on the page they control.

It can be even better if they are direct affordances, rather than choices in a menu. This can be subtle (the fact that the "Date" button immediately flips the order, rather than opening a menu where you need a second click to select "latest" or "oldest" first).

Or it can be more integrated. Such as having a movable bar on the screen that separates the message list from the preview of the selected message - and being able to turn off preview by simply sliding that bar all the way to the edge of the window. No menu needed.

But I'm not really a UI/UX expert, so I'll just throw the ideas out there without claiming that they are certainly the best (or even a better) way to do it. Sometimes it is more important to do things in a consistent fashion than to do a particular thing in the "slickest" fashion. A coherent UI goes a long way to making a site feel natural and easy to use, even if it has lots of powerful capabilities.

That's a lesson Yahoo badly failed in the Neo redesign. Every type of list of messages (pending, possible spam, archive, search results, and pending Pinboard posts when that existed) has a different appearance and different affordances for viewing, navigating, and interacting with the messages. That tends to make a site feel complex even when it can't actually do much.

-- Shal

Linda

Hi Mark,
Hope you plan to allow editing/deleting of the expanded messages...?
Thanks,
Linda

Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: [beta] View selections

Hey All,

I have been paying attention to the discussion, but I'm not sure yet what the right answer for all this is. But I did just add an option in archives for 'Expanded Message View' which gets you the individual messages displayed in date order.

Mark

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
LAurence,

> I don't mind a settings page, as long as it's easy to find and use.

I don't mind a settings pages either, they are perfectly appropriate for some controls.

In Groups.io examples would be the controls in one's "Edit Profile" pages, or the choice of Email Delivery in one's Subscription page.

But I wouldn't want to have to go to the Subscription page to switch the Archive View between "Threads" and "Messages", nor to flip the date sorting order; I believe those (and the new controls I suggested) properly belong "in situ" - easily accessible on the page they control.

It can be even better if they are direct affordances, rather than choices in a menu. This can be subtle (the fact that the "Date" button immediately flips the order, rather than opening a menu where you need a second click to select "latest" or "oldest" first).

Or it can be more integrated. Such as having a movable bar on the screen that separates the message list from the preview of the selected message - and being able to turn off preview by simply sliding that bar all the way to the edge of the window. No menu needed.

But I'm not really a UI/UX expert, so I'll just throw the ideas out there without claiming that they are certainly the best (or even a better) way to do it. Sometimes it is more important to do things in a consistent fashion than to do a particular thing in the "slickest" fashion. A coherent UI goes a long way to making a site feel natural and easy to use, even if it has lots of powerful capabilities.

That's a lesson Yahoo badly failed in the Neo redesign. Every type of list of messages (pending, possible spam, archive, search results, and pending Pinboard posts when that existed) has a different appearance and different affordances for viewing, navigating, and interacting with the messages. That tends to make a site feel complex even when it can't actually do much.

-- Shal

ro-esp

Shal wrote:

> I wouldn't want to have to go to the Subscription page to switch the Archive View between "Threads" and "Messages", nor to flip the date           > sorting  order; I believe those (and the new controls I suggested) properly belong "in situ" - easily accessible on the page they control.

I agree with that. The main thing for me would be the ability to read either threads or all messages in chronological order, that is, from old to new and not the other way around (like it is in facebook)

                                                                                           groetjes, Ronaldo

I'm on digest for this group and have received about five copies of the first two messages in this thread as well as two copies (so far) featuring the responses. None of my other groups have had messages added recently, so I don't know if it's a general problem or not.

Linda,

I just pushed to the site the ability to edit/delete/reply to messages while in the expanded message view.

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Linda Star-Freedman <donlin2@...> wrote:
Hi Mark,
Hope you plan to allow editing/deleting of the expanded messages...?
Thanks,
Linda

Linda

Thank YOU, Mark, that's perfect!