Topics

use either User Name or Display Name consistently in banning/banned list and removal/past members list #suggestion

Banning activity and the banned members list show the member under their User Name in the first column, but removal and the past members list show the Display Name there. You can see that in this removed/banned member's activity log, gleaned from the banned members list (this will be accessible only to Mark):
https://groups.io/g/Feline_Smallcell_Lymphoma/activity?p=Created,sub&subid=7710274

The second from the top line says that I removed X, but the top line says that I banned Y. Which is not big deal, because the email address is the same, and these are consecutive in the log. However, when I looked a few days later for the member in the past members list, I was looking for the wrong name and thought at first that the member did not appear there (I had to search for the email address). Possibly, once a member is removed, the Display Name is no longer accessible? That somehow doesn't seem right. It seems like it should be available in the history.

(BTW note the NMM3 badge in the Banned List record, whereas the history shows the member had some messages approved. But that's for the other topic.)

J,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 12:03 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Banning activity and the banned members list show the member under their User Name in the first column, but removal and the past members list show the Display Name there. You can see that in this removed/banned member's activity log, gleaned from the banned members list (this will be accessible only to Mark):
https://groups.io/g/Feline_Smallcell_Lymphoma/activity?p=Created,sub&subid=7710274

The second from the top line says that I removed X, but the top line says that I banned Y. Which is not big deal, because the email address is the same, and these are consecutive in the log.

All log lines are using the display name. Here's what happened in your case: When that person subscribed to your group, either you or they changed the Display Name associated with them for your group. That's on the subscription record (ie it's unique to your group and not to all the groups she may be subscribed to). You removed her from your group, which deleted that subscription record, along with the 'customized' display name. You then later banned her. We no longer had the 'customized' display name, so we used her default display name, which is what you see in the Banned activity log.

Mark

We no longer had the 'customized' display name, so we used her default display name, which is what you see in the Banned activity log.
Mark,

That's what I suspected, as I wrote here: "Possibly, once a member is removed, the Display Name is no longer accessible? That somehow doesn't seem right. It seems like it should be available in the history."

So when you say "we no longer had the 'customized display name,' I am asking, why not? Couldn't the log use the last Display Name the member had in the group? Or is it too much of a PITA to have to go thru the history to get it? I do understand that if the email address/account being banned was never a member of the group, all that's available is the account/user (or "default") display name. But I don't understand, at least in theory, why the group display name couldn't be used, even if the member is no longer in the group.

To be clear, not finding the member in the Past Members list as a result of the mismatch had me flummoxed for some time, and may flummox others.

Mark,

Another thing I'm noticing: when I go into the member's history (the link above) and from there into her member page, the Display Name is showing up again as her user name (i.e., to what it was before we changed it in our group). Yet the name has *not* been changed back to that in our group. What seems to be happening is that after a member is removed from a group, and they change their Display Name overall, the name changes *in the group history*. That seems akin to rewriting history and strikes me as very wrong. I think all historical records of the member, while they were in the group, should maintain their history in the group and not be rewritten to take into account anything that changed outside the group. If that's what's happening, I don't think the situation is just that the display name is no longer (easily) available. It has actually been (wrongly) changed in the group's records.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 02:20 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
All log lines are using the display name.
Would it be easy enough to prioritize the email address so that there's a relationship on all lists?  Basically swap the way it's now displayed so address is first.  Or would that be even more confusing and/or difficult?  I realize the link goes to the group subscription record (which would no longer exist in this case), but maybe having the address first would make it more obvious how things are displayed?

Duane

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 12:43 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
What seems to be happening is that after a member is removed from a group, and they change their Display Name overall, the name changes *in the group history*.
Amending this: either that, or, more likely, the display name changes back to their overall/account/default display name *in the group's member record*. That also seems wrong.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 12:50 PM, Duane wrote:
Would it be easy enough to prioritize the email address so that there's a relationship on all lists?
Good idea and that would be an improvement for this particular situation, but I think the display order now, where the display name is first, is better for most other situations. I think the solution is not to retroactively change the member's display name in the group after they leave or are removed, which is what is happening now, from all appearances.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 12:58 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 12:50 PM, Duane wrote:
Would it be easy enough to prioritize the email address so that there's a relationship on all lists?
It also would not help the weirdness of the log entries ("removed X," and later "banned Y") where X and Y are the same person.

The bottom line seems to be that if you are going to ban a member, you better know it at the time you remove them. That's because if you remove first and later ban, you get the display name mismatch described here. But if you simply ban, which removes the member too, the system does not "forget" their group-specific display name, and it uses that for all log entries. Banning alone (rather than removing first, banning second) also does not replace their group-specific display name with their default display name in their historical member page.

I submit that this is an inconsistency. It should not matter whether you remove first and ban later, or OTOH simply ban. The results should be the same.