moderated Use bounce tracking on private replies #suggestion

Mark,

In attempting to reproduce Sean's problem I noticed that my Email Delivery History contained no record of the successful delivery of the Private reply.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/30105

I think it would be useful to log the response to those, especially in cases where they bounce.

Shal

I'm confused. You posted a reply in beta. Did you also send a PM?

J,

I'm confused. You posted a reply in beta. Did you also send a PM?

Now I'm confused. This suggestion was not (intended as) a reply. I did not PM anybody for this.

I did CC Sean directly in my message to him prior to my reply to him in Beta, if you are actually talking about that topic.

Shal

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 04:49 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
if you are actually talking about that topic.
Yes, I was talking about that, because you referred to it. It seemed that perhaps you hadn't realized you'd replied to the group. But you're saying you did both. (I now recall that you sometimes reply to a group with a cc to an individual.)

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 04:54 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
It seemed that perhaps you hadn't realized you'd replied to the group
(meaning, perhaps that's why you didn't see any record of a private reply).

J,

It seemed that perhaps you hadn't realized you'd replied to the group
(meaning, perhaps that's why you didn't see any record of a private
reply).
Oh, I see.

No, to reproduce (what I think was) Sean's case I used the Messages page of my test group on the web to click "Reply", "Private" and "Reply to Sender" on a message posted by a different member of the test group.

Now that I look for it, that action also seems to have not been recorded in the test group's Activity log either. I think that lack has already been a suggestion here in beta.

Shal

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 07:26 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
In attempting to reproduce Sean's problem I noticed that my Email Delivery History contained no record of the successful delivery of the Private reply.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/30105
Private replies sent via email are go directly to the recipient; they never go through groups.io and thus cannot be logged. Private replies sent via the web interface could conceivably be logged; and yet, I wonder if creating a discrepancy of this sort -- based only on how the message was sent -- could become a source of future confusion.

I think it would be useful to log the response to those, especially in cases where they bounce.
I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that all bounces are logged.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce,

Private replies sent via the web interface could conceivably be
logged; ...
Correct, that is the scenario I tested.

and yet, I wonder if creating a discrepancy of this sort -- based only
on how the message was sent -- could become a source of future
confusion.
I believe that the utility of having this information vastly outweighs any possible confusion over why it is unavailable for private replies by email.

Easy enough to explain that any delivery failure when replying privately by email will be reported to you by your email service's postmaster (often called the "mailer daemon").

I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that all bounces
are logged.
Sadly, no.

I believe all message posts are tracked for bounces, but not all notices or other things are. For example, email notices forwarded to mods and owners in response to a message to the +owner address are not bounce tracked, and I think those too should be.

Shal