moderated Uploading a bad/misnamed photo file causes unexpected whitescreen failure #misc

Andy I

For the heck of it, I wanted to see what would happen if someone tries to upload a bad or misnamed "photo" file into a group's Photo Album.  I took a non-photo file (PDF), renamed it so that it seemed to be a photo file (PNG), and went through the steps to upload it.

Result:  Groups.io 'hangs' when I press the "Add" button, with a totally blank screen.  No error message.  It is not a real hang, because I can press the Back button and go somewhere else.

Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 09:47 PM, Andy I wrote:
For the heck of it, I wanted to see what would happen if someone tries to upload a bad or misnamed "photo" file into a group's Photo Album.  I took a non-photo file (PDF), renamed it so that it seemed to be a photo file (PNG), and went through the steps to upload it.

Result:  Groups.io 'hangs' when I press the "Add" button, with a totally blank screen.  No error message.
The dialog is probably hanging because it's unable to render a thumbnail. I've never been fond of this particular behavior because it requires all the images involved to be read in their entirety before the upload can proceed. Others may like it, though.

Regards,
Bruce

Andy I

On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 09:05 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
The dialog is probably hanging because it's unable to render a thumbnail. I've never been fond of this particular behavior because it requires all the images involved to be read in their entirety before the upload can proceed. Others may like it, though.

Oddly enough, it got past the step of rendering a thumbnail.  Well, that is to say, the thumbnail that shows while you are still in the dialog and have not yet pressed "Add" to complete the upload.  The thumbnail showed just the filename and size because it couldn't display a picture.

It's the step after that (pressing "Add") that fails.  Nothing gets uploaded - nothing is left in the Album.  And Groups.io gets stuck at that point, unable to either move forward, or show you an error message that "Your upload has failed" or something to that effect.

So it had an opportunity to recognize that the photo file I'm about to upload is bad, but it didn't - other than to display the filename instead of an image in that thumbnail.

Andy

On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 6:47 PM Andy I <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
For the heck of it, I wanted to see what would happen if someone tries to upload a bad or misnamed "photo" file into a group's Photo Album.  I took a non-photo file (PDF), renamed it so that it seemed to be a photo file (PNG), and went through the steps to upload it.

Result:  Groups.io 'hangs' when I press the "Add" button, with a totally blank screen.  No error message.  It is not a real hang, because I can press the Back button and go somewhere else.

This is fixed now. It now displays an error message saying we can't read the photo.