moderated Unknown bounce issue #bug


Alexis
 

Hi,

For about 6 months now I have been having an extremely annoying issue with messages being bounced from one individual

The reason given is:

<!--

That is it!

Basically the message sent to the affected email address is created by an automated script. Emails from other people using the same script get delivered just fine.
The email address it goes to has a script attached to it. This script reads the email contents and processes it. No reply is given. Again, all other messages sent to it are totally unaffected.

The processing script was written about 10 years ago and has stood the test of time and works just fine, with this one exception.
If only I knew the reason for the bounce, then I can at least contact my email host, but without that, I am stuck. And obviously every few days the account gets flagged as bouncing.

Oh yes, I do notice that the bounce notification is always for a message 2 days prior to the date of the bounce notification, if that makes a difference.

I am pulling my hair out here, as this one issue is stopping the auto processing of all other messages.

Any help would be most appreciated

Cheers
Alexis


Jim Wilson
 

There is not enough information or clarity posted to identify an issue. It sound like you're saying each individual is using a script to generate a message (to the group?) and then you say the script reads the email and processes the contents. This sounds very convoluted and confusing!

That said, the single most common reason for bouncing is spam prevention on the receiving end where there is a perceived issue with the content or the source of the message. That's where you start but, sometimes, little or nothing can be done about it.

If you're including or attaching a script to a message, I would not (and I do not) allow it as an email administrator.

Also, you cannot rule out a script simply because you believe it "has stood the test of time." I would be extremely skeptical of any script written 10 years ago.

I strongly urge you to consider doing – whatever it is you're trying to do – in a way that meets currently-accepted email security and validation practices.

--
Jim


Derek Milliner
 

Alexis,

First instinct is that the recipient machine running the script is throwing an error and breaking the SMTP connection without sending any message back to the sender; this might explain why the only entry in the 'Reason' is that HTML comment ((<!-- ). Various reasons for this, including:
  • Mail handler doesn't have permission to run the script
  • Mail handler doesn't have permission to read the script
  • Component required to run the script isn't present, is broken or has incorrect permissions/privileges (possibly due to being updated)
  • Non-printing character embedded in script, often due to cut & paste between dissimilar OSes (e.g. Windows -> Linux) causing a syntax error

There may be others of course, but without knowing the setup it's speculation right now. I presume from the way you describe the process that you have a script that generates a message which is posted to the group, the message then being delivered to members and processed by the second script. It's highly unlikely to be a problem at the Groups.io send given that only this one account has the issue.

 

I would try manually connecting to the recipient's mail server and emulating the delivery process with SMTP commands (EHLO, RCPT TO, MAIL FROM, DATA etc.); this would at least indicate whether it's possible to make a successful delivery (get an SMTP '250' code back). If you have a sample message it can be pasted in after the DATA command to try & generate an expected reply.

If the manual process doesn't work either, then it's a question of the user checking their system & logs to try and nail down the cause of the problem. 


 

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 9:07 AM Alexis <yahoo@...> wrote:
Hi,

For about 6 months now I have been having an extremely annoying issue with messages being bounced from one individual

The reason given is:

<!--

That is it!

I need more information in order to investigate this. Is this the reason given in the Email Delivery History for this individual? What is their email address? And what is the name of the group.

Thanks,
Mark 


Alexis
 

Hi Mark,

that is the only reason given

The group is
https://mode-s.groups.io/g/mode-s-logs

or specifically it is a sub group of
https://mode-s.groups.io/g/mode-s

the email address of the account that keeps bouncing is:
sbs1@antonakis.co.uk


The ONLY message that causes this problem is from:
Tony Scott Warren

and the emails all have the subject line of :
PlanePlotter Log from Howden, East Yorkshire 23/05/2021
(Where the date changes)

There are also messages produced by the same piece of software which do not bounce, and a couple of examples are those with subject lines starting with:
PlanePlotter Log from East Devon
&
PlanePlotter Log from Macapá, AP - Brazil

I cannot remember exactly when the bouncing issue started, but it was about 6 months ago, for the 1-2 years we have been using your service prior to that, everything was just fine.

If you need any more info please just ask as this really is frustrating me.

Cheers
Alexis

On 24/05/2021 11:07, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 9:07 AM Alexis <yahoo@antonakis.co.uk> wrote:

Hi,

For about 6 months now I have been having an extremely annoying issue with
messages being bounced from one individual

The reason given is:

<!--

That is it!

I need more information in order to investigate this. Is this the reason
given in the Email Delivery History for this individual? What is their
email address? And what is the name of the group.
Thanks,
Mark


Alexis
 

Thanks for the info Derek,

I am confused when you say "it is breaking the SMTP connection without sending any message back"

Emails are sent to a recipient without any form of response being required, so unless I have misunderstood what you have said, this makes no sense to me.

As for the possible reasons you have given, very helpful.

The thing is, the script works just fine for all other messages it receives, including messages produced by the same piece of software that the offending 'sender' uses, which in my mind would negate all of those reasons, would it not?

Sorry I have not explained things clearly.

In my group, aircraft logs are posted using a variety of different software.

One of the members of that group is an email address that I have 'attached' a script to. A script, that when it receives any emails, it extracts the data contained and puts it into a database.

No message is automatically sent back, although a sender does have the option to receive one if they so wish. In this case they do not wish it.

I have put some error trapping into my script, by sending myself a copy of the message as soon as it receives it. I receive copies of all messages sent, EXCEPT the one that bounces, which in my mind implies that the message is not being received by my mail server, which makes sense if that message is bouncing.

Hope that clears things up and sorry for the confusion

Alexis

On 23/05/2021 11:55, Derek Milliner wrote:
Alexis,
First instinct is that the recipient machine running the script is throwing an error and breaking the SMTP connection without sending any message back to the sender; this might explain why the only entry in the 'Reason' is that HTML comment ((<!-- ). Various reasons for this, including:
* Mail handler doesn't have permission to run the script
* Mail handler doesn't have permission to read the script
* Component required to run the script isn't present, is broken or has incorrect permissions/privileges (possibly due to being updated)
* Non-printing character embedded in script, often due to cut & paste between dissimilar OSes (e.g. Windows -> Linux) causing a syntax error
There may be others of course, but without knowing the setup it's speculation right now. I presume from the way you describe the process that you have a script that generates a message which is posted to the group, the message then being delivered to members and processed by the second script. It's highly unlikely to be a problem at the Groups.io send given that only this one account has the issue.
I would try manually connecting to the recipient's mail server and emulating the delivery process with SMTP commands (EHLO, RCPT TO, MAIL FROM, DATA etc.); this would at least indicate whether it's possible to make a successful delivery (get an SMTP '250' code back). If you have a sample message it can be pasted in after the DATA command to try & generate an expected reply.
If the manual process doesn't work either, then it's a question of the user checking their system & logs to try and nail down the cause of the problem.


Alexis
 

sorry, affected email should read:
sbslists1@antonakis.co.uk

On 24/05/2021 16:51, Alexis wrote:
Hi Mark,
that is the only reason given
The group is
https://mode-s.groups.io/g/mode-s-logs
or specifically it is a sub group of
https://mode-s.groups.io/g/mode-s
the email address of the account that keeps bouncing is:
sbs1@antonakis.co.uk
The ONLY message that causes this problem is from:
Tony Scott Warren
and the emails all have the subject line of :
PlanePlotter Log from Howden, East Yorkshire 23/05/2021
(Where the date changes)
There are also messages produced by the same piece of software which do not bounce, and a couple of examples are those with subject lines starting with:
PlanePlotter Log from East Devon
&
PlanePlotter Log from Macapá, AP - Brazil
I cannot remember exactly when the bouncing issue started, but it was about 6 months ago, for the 1-2 years we have been using your service prior to that, everything was just fine.
If you need any more info please just ask as this really is frustrating me.
Cheers
Alexis
On 24/05/2021 11:07, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 9:07 AM Alexis <yahoo@antonakis.co.uk> wrote:

Hi,

For about 6 months now I have been having an extremely annoying issue with
messages being bounced from one individual

The reason given is:

<!--

That is it!

I need more information in order to investigate this. Is this the reason
given in the Email Delivery History for this individual? What is their
email address? And what is the name of the group.

Thanks,
Mark






Derek Milliner
 

Alexis,

I made a broad and possibly invalid assumption that your incoming mail is handled by your own mail server (e.g. postfix, sendmail etc.) and that how your script is called by the mail server. If this is not the case then my references to the SMTP dialogue don't apply. If it is your own mail server, then the key debug info will be in the mail server logs.

If you haven't already done so I'd add a debug line in your script that simply writes to a local file when it's called just in case there's something in the message which also causes the copy to you to fail. Belt 'n' braces.

If the message isn't even getting as far as calling your script and it's not your own mail server then you'd need to work with the provider to get log details on what's happening with that specific source. It may be of course that they changed something about 6 months ago. Mark may be able to use the info you've provided to shed a little more light from the GIO end.


 

Alexis,

This is full bounce message:

<!--
//usr/bin/php
/// line 567 in acarsfunctions.inc
///airnav problem
#!/usr/local/bin/php
/SBS codeing
1
if (ereg('^([0-9A-H]{6})',$message[$i]) and $start==0)
if (substr($fltno,3,4)!="0000" and !ereggasp
g("[@]",$fltno))


$message[$i]=preg_replace("/\(.*?.\)/", "", $message[$i]);
/echo $i." ".$message[$i]."<br>";
echo "|".$day."-".$month."-".$year."|<br>";
echo "|".$start." ".$stop."|<br>";
echo "0:".$split[0]." 1:".$split[1]." 2:".$split[2]." 3:".$split[3]." 4:".$split[4]." 5:".$split[5]." 6:".$split[6]."<br>";
echo $sbs."=".$reg." - ".$fltno." - ".$time." - ".$date."<br>";
/echo $date." ".$day." ".$month." ".$year." ".$time."<br>";
$data1.=process($fltno,$reg,$date,$time,$source,$conn,$message,$i,$sbs);
echo "0:".$datetmp[0]." 1:".$datetmp[1]." 2:".$datetmp[2]." 3:".$datetmp[3]." 4:".$datetmp[4]." 5:".$datetmp[5]." 6:".$datetmp[6]."<br>";
/-->
///Fatal error: Cannot break/continue 1 level in /home/alexis/public_html/cyoaw/includes/emailsbsreport.php on line 651
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

I've also fixed the bounce processing system to more correctly parse this.

Thanks,
Mark


Alexis
 

You're a star Mark, just the info I need, thanks very much

On 25/05/2021 09:48, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Alexis,
This is full bounce message:
<!--
//usr/bin/php
/// line 567 in acarsfunctions.inc
///airnav problem
#!/usr/local/bin/php
/SBS codeing
1
if (ereg('^([0-9A-H]{6})',$message[$i]) and $start==0)
if (substr($fltno,3,4)!="0000" and !ereggasp
g("[@]",$fltno))
$message[$i]=preg_replace("/\(.*?.\)/", "", $message[$i]);
/echo $i." ".$message[$i]."<br>";
echo "|".$day."-".$month."-".$year."|<br>";
echo "|".$start." ".$stop."|<br>";
echo "0:".$split[0]." 1:".$split[1]." 2:".$split[2]." 3:".$split[3]."
4:".$split[4]." 5:".$split[5]." 6:".$split[6]."<br>";
echo $sbs."=".$reg." - ".$fltno." - ".$time." - ".$date."<br>";
/echo $date." ".$day." ".$month." ".$year." ".$time."<br>";
$data1.=process($fltno,$reg,$date,$time,$source,$conn,$message,$i,$sbs);
echo "0:".$datetmp[0]." 1:".$datetmp[1]." 2:".$datetmp[2]."
3:".$datetmp[3]." 4:".$datetmp[4]." 5:".$datetmp[5]."
6:".$datetmp[6]."<br>";
/-->
///Fatal error: Cannot break/continue 1 level in
/home/alexis/public_html/cyoaw/includes/emailsbsreport.php on line 651
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.
I've also fixed the bounce processing system to more correctly parse this.
Thanks,
Mark


Alexis
 

Thanks for the info Derek and now Mark sorted out the full bounce reason the problem became apparent. Turns out I had a max length limit of an incoming email in my script, and that limit was being exceeded by this one email,

But you have come up with some very good points there and I thank you for those.

Alexis

On 25/05/2021 02:37, Derek Milliner wrote:
Alexis,
I made a broad and possibly invalid assumption that your incoming mail is handled by your own mail server (e.g. postfix, sendmail etc.) and that how your script is called by the mail server. If this is not the case then my references to the SMTP dialogue don't apply. If it is your own mail server, then the key debug info will be in the mail server logs.
If you haven't already done so I'd add a debug line in your script that simply writes to a local file when it's called just in case there's something in the message which also causes the copy to you to fail. Belt 'n' braces.
If the message isn't even getting as far as calling your script and it's not your own mail server then you'd need to work with the provider to get log details on what's happening with that specific source. It may be of course that they changed something about 6 months ago. Mark may be able to use the info you've provided to shed a little more light from the GIO end.