moderated Unexpected muted topic message in the middle of a topic #bug

Paul Kanevsky

A few recent messages are muted, as if I muted the topic. Except that I didn't, and only some of the messages are muted this way. (See the second message in the screenshot below):

  1. Using browser and web interface (desktop and mobile, Chrome and Safari)
  2. Muted Topics menu shows that You have no muted topics
  3. Muted Hashtags shows that You have not muted any hashtags
  4. Message showing ×Your message has been sent instead of the actual message from the poster (I didn't send any messages)
  5. Clicking on "Unmute this Topic" button doesn't seem to do anything, same strange message remains
  6. I'm the group owner
If I log out from GIO and go to the same topic, I can see all the messages without any muted content.

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 05:02 PM, Paul Kanevsky wrote:
A few recent messages are muted, as if I muted the topic. Except that I didn't, and only some of the messages are muted this way. (See the second message in the screenshot below):
I am guessing that you think a message is muted in this example as the message sequence numbers are not consecutive.  There is no evidence here that message #73009 exists.   My other observation from the screenshots is that the items per page is set to 100 in the first example but 20 in the second. Can you confirm these views are actually taken from the same account?

Andy

Paul Kanevsky

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 02:40 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
I am guessing that you think a message is muted in this example as the message sequence numbers are not consecutive.  There is no evidence here that message #73009 exists.   My other observation from the screenshots is that the items per page is set to 100 in the first example but 20 in the second. Can you confirm these views are actually taken from the same account?
The funny thing is that this is just part of the problem: this is a single screen shot, showing a single topic in the browser. For some reason, one message appears as 'muted' (73008), and the next message after that seems to start a completely new listing of the same topic, but in the opposite date order, 20 per page (my default setting is 100 per page). It's a very strange behavior, and I can't tell if message 73008 is real or not, or why it shows up the way it does.

Here's the thread, try it for yourself (just make sure to sort it in date-decreasing order):

https://groups.io/g/Losmandy_users/topic/83484031?p=Created,,,100,2,0,0

Regards,

    -Paul

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 08:16 PM, Paul Kanevsky wrote:
The funny thing is that this is just part of the problem: this is a single screen shot, showing a single topic in the browser. For some reason, one message appears as 'muted' (73008), and the next message after that seems to start a completely new listing of the same topic, but in the opposite date order, 20 per page (my default setting is 100 per page). It's a very strange behavior, and I can't tell if message 73008 is real or not, or why it shows up the way it does.
OK - I can see what you are saying with the exception that it's that way regardless of whether I am logged in to Groups.io or not.  It looks like some corruption in message #73008 that is causing the issue. Definitely one for Mark to look at I think.

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 05:02 PM, Paul Kanevsky wrote:
Using browser and web interface (desktop and mobile, Chrome and Safari)
It's the same in the app too.

Andy

Duane

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 02:16 PM, Paul Kanevsky wrote:
The funny thing is that this is just part of the problem: this is a single screen shot, showing a single topic in the browser.
It looks to me like message 73008 is nothing but a screen shot/copy&paste, so all the Mute, etc. is part of what was sent.  Makes no difference which way it's sorted, that's the contents of that message.

Duane

Paul Kanevsky

It’s not a screen shot, since the buttons are clickable and text selectable.

Regardless, it doesn’t explain why the content following is a reverse order of the same topic. I can’t see any messages slightly older than 73008, since the next message shown is the first message in the whole thread.

Regards,

    -Paul

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 09:47 PM, Duane wrote:

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 02:16 PM, Paul Kanevsky wrote:
The funny thing is that this is just part of the problem: this is a single screen shot, showing a single topic in the browser.
It looks to me like message 73008 is nothing but a screen shot/copy&paste, so all the Mute, etc. is part of what was sent.  Makes no difference which way it's sorted, that's the contents of that message.

Duane

Andy

Paul,

I agree with Duane.  It looks to me that message #73008 contains considerable HTML, including graphics and clickable links and buttons.  If you open just that one message (https://groups.io/g/Losmandy_users/message/73008) without the rest of the Topic around it, you can see it.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 07:25 AM, Andy wrote:
 It looks to me that message #73008 contains considerable HTML, including graphics and clickable links and buttons.  If you open just that one message (https://groups.io/g/Losmandy_users/message/73008) without the rest of the Topic around it, you can see it.
After further checking it does seem like #73008 contains a lot of unusual stuff that makes the display confusing. It appears as though it's showing #73008 and the message before is #73007. However if you just open #73008 on it's own and then use the left/right arrow buttons either side of the message number you can go forward to #73009 but back one message takes you to #73005. Messages #73006 & #73007 do not exist (as can also be confirmed by using the Messages view) so #73007 at least appears to have been deleted after #73008 was posted. Confirmation of when #73006 & #73007 were deleted should be in the Activity log.

Regards
Andy

Paul Kanevsky

Thank you, Andy and Duane!

Yes, that was it. By selecting that one message, I was able to edit it and remove all the extra HTML in the message. After that, everything shows up as normal. Somehow all that HTML caused the rest of the page after the message to appear broken. Looks good after editing. Again, thanks for your help!

Regards,

    -Paul