Uncheck of Auto Follow Replies in Advanced Preferences is not saved #bug

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

in Advanced Preferences, when Following Only is selected, it's not possible to uncheck and save Auto Follow Replies. If you expand the Advanced Preferences again after saving, Auto Follow Replies is still checked.

Regards
Andy

My understanding, after the long and drawn-out conversation about this awhile back, is that Auto-Follow Replies is now automatic when Following Only is checked. I always wondered why it was even left as a check box (but always checked), and thought that the box was strictly informative - i.e., that Following Only now automatically implies Auto-Follow Replies and that AFR can't be unchecked.

So it's unclear whether the bug consists of allowing the box to even be unchecked, or on the other hand, not clearing the option when the box is unchecked.

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 04:02 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
after the long and drawn-out conversation about this awhile back, is that Auto-Follow Replies is now automatic when Following Only is checked.
Yes, I remember that topic only too well.  For Auto Follow Replies the manual states "This checkbox is selected automatically when you select Following Only" but to me that means that it is initially selected to try and be helpful and the fact that a check-box is there means I should be able to uncheck it.  If it's not supposed to be possible to uncheck it then it's pretty pointless being there and the comment in the manual is superfluous.

Andy

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 08:11 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
If it's not supposed to be possible to uncheck it then it's pretty pointless being there and the comment in the manual is superfluous.
I would say not superfluous, but definitely needing clarification. As written, it sounds to me like it's uncheckable. And I agree with you that in that case, the box should not even be there (as I suggested after this was originally implemented) and in its place there could be a short informative blurb.

 For Auto Follow Replies the manual states "This checkbox is selected automatically when you select Following Only" but to me that means that it is initially selected to try and be helpful and the fact that a check-box is there means I should be able to uncheck it.  If it's not supposed to be possible to uncheck it then it's pretty pointless being there and the comment in the manual is superfluous
<<<

Agreed, it's not working quite right.  Even if I personally don't see why someone who is FO wouldn't want to AFR their own replies, I agree that the way it behaves now, it's like "I'm always on as if the checkbox is disabled".

I think this is a case of the AdvPrefs UI-display/defaults init code doing its thing regardless without checking what AFR was previously set-to or changed-to.  Or it could be the uncheck is actually saved on the db but then the reopen resets it anyway overwriting it, maybe in the validation code part.

Cheers,
Christos