Topics

moderated unable to add groups.io calendar to google calendar by URL #bug #fixed

David McBride

I tried adding a groups.io calendar to google calendar by URL.  I retrieved the following URL from the TSC sub-group at lists.opnfv.org: [link removed by mod]

Unfortunately, the events are not appearing on my google calendar.  I tried removing and re-adding the calendar multiple times.  In some cases, I waited one or more days to see if there was some sort of time delay.  Also, note that I have followed this process for multiple calendars in the past, so this is not something new to me.

It's possible that this could be user error, but I've been over it multiple times and I can't see what I could've done wrong (isn't that always the case?).

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 9:25 PM David McBride <dmcbride@...> wrote:
I tried adding a groups.io calendar to google calendar by URL.  I retrieved the following URL from the TSC sub-group at lists.opnfv.org: [link removed by mod]

Unfortunately, the events are not appearing on my google calendar.  I tried removing and re-adding the calendar multiple times.  In some cases, I waited one or more days to see if there was some sort of time delay.  Also, note that I have followed this process for multiple calendars in the past, so this is not something new to me.

After much testing and trial and error, I think I've fixed the problem. It was a combination of two issues. One is that we were not properly escaping some characters when generating the ICS file. The other issue is that it appears Google Calendar cannot handle colons in event descriptions. So, we now replace colons with spaces when we generate ICS files.

David McBride

That's great to hear.  I was half expecting to hear that it was a user error on my part. When will the fix get deployed?

David

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 9:28 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Release Manager
Linux Foundation Networking (LFN)
Email: dmcbride@...
IRC: dmcbride

Duane

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 01:55 PM, David McBride wrote:
When will the fix get deployed?
Looks like it should be available now, "I think I've fixed the problem".  You'll probably need to recreate the ICS files.

Duane

David McBride

Yep - seems to be working now.

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 12:33 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 01:55 PM, David McBride wrote:
When will the fix get deployed?
Looks like it should be available now, "I think I've fixed the problem".  You'll probably need to recreate the ICS files.

David McBride
Release Manager
Linux Foundation Networking (LFN)
Email: dmcbride@...
IRC: dmcbride

Chuck Palmer

Per @Duane's suggestion, I am tagging onto this thread with an issue I posted in the GMF regarding the Calendar Downloading Event feature not working properly.
That topic is here - https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/downloading_calendar_event/75529805

Apologies if I should have started a new thread.

I'd like to also add this bit of info I found after posting the above message earlier today.  I mentioned in that post that this weirdity also occurs when I download the .ics file then click on it to add to my calendar.  If I open the .ics file with a text editor, it shows the same lack of ":", duplicate info, extra space, etc.

Here is the DESCRIPTION section - truncated in some spots for privacy:

 sion about the health and heart features of the Apple Watch with Dr. xxxxx.\, a local cardiologist and electrophysiologist..\n\n*GUEST
  SPEAKER * Dr. xxxxxxxxxx\n*TOPIC * She will discuss how her sta
 ff and patients use the Apple Watch to monitor cardio activity.\n\n*Mee
 ting Link * https //zoom.us/j/9608xxxxx? pwd=bzZLVE-xxxxx-tGYm
  pRUT09 ( https //zoom.us/j/96087945376?pwd=bzZLVEl2VE-xxxxx-GYmpRU
 T09 )

In addition, if I go to the bottom of the Calendar, subscribe to it, then paste that info into my Google calendar, all its events with URL's in their Description fields have similar errors.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-chuck