Topics

moderated Turn off Credit Card tab #suggestion

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 07:05 AM, Duane wrote:
But it doesn't hurt anything either.  It could be a nightmare, IMO, to keep track of whether any group a person belongs to has Donations enabled at any given time since they can be turned on and off as needed.
Exactly. Seems like someone here gets it.

“If Donations are not enabled” for what, exactly? Are you saying groups.io should daily monitor whether any of the user’s groups have Donstuins enabled, and toggle the enablement of their credit back and forth accordingly, depending on their groups? People here are addressing this issue as if “Donations enabled” applied to a user (it doesn’t), or as if the user is only in one group. Doesn’t make sense because the former is not correct and the latter probably is usually not.

On Sep 1, 2020, at 6:04 AM, Chuck Palmer <palmerct@...> wrote:

On the contrary — it does not make sense for members to be able to enter a credit card in their account info if they are not owners or if Donations are not enabled.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 08:04 AM, Chuck Palmer wrote:
it does not make sense for members to be able to enter a credit card in their account info if they are not owners or if Donations are not enabled.
But it doesn't hurt anything either.  It could be a nightmare, IMO, to keep track of whether any group a person belongs to has Donations enabled at any given time since they can be turned on and off as needed.  People can also join and leave groups as often as they want.  Having the card info already entered would make it easier for someone that creates a group and decides to upgrade.  The new manuals in the Help Center certainly make finding things a lot easier than they used to be, but unfortunately many people don't read them.  Having unused/unavailable options disabled/grayed would be useful in this respect.

Duane

Terry Slattery <tcs@...>

I agree with Mark. People learn where things are, even if they are not enabled. "Now, where did I see that option?" and an ensuing search through the GUI to try to find the option, only to find out that the 'mode' you were in didn't show it. This is why User Interface guidelines prefer that items be disabled (grayed out) instead of removed.
  -Terry

Chuck Palmer

On the contrary — it does not make sense for members to be able to enter a credit card in their account info if they are not owners or if Donations are not enabled.

Chuck Palmer

Agree. By “turn off” I meant disable — not remove.

paul fox

mark wrote:
> My inclination has been to not remove things in the interface that are not
> available, but to disable them/grey them out, when possible. My thinking
> is that I want people to know where everything is, even if they can't
> currently use a given feature. I've been frustrated with other software
> where things appear and disappear depending on settings. "Why should I
> look there, I've never seen it there before!" Also, at least for me, it
> creates awareness that the software can actually do that particular
> feature, even if I can't take advantage of it at the time.
> But Mark, you say, things disappear on the group sidebar if they are not
> enabled. You're right! Perhaps I should change that so that instead of
> them disappearing, they should be disabled. Anyone object to that?

Could the list at least be ordered such that the features that _are_
enabled are all at the top? When many things are disabled, there will
be long jumps between active elements in the list.

paul
=----------------------
paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 66.0 degrees)

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 10:35 AM Chuck Palmer <palmerct@...> wrote:
See this thread in GMF - https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/76526722

Suggestion is to turn off Billing->Credit Card under Account if the member is not a group owner or Donations is not turned on.
If Donations is not turned on, its presence is not needed and only adds confusion for those who are not group owners.

My inclination has been to not remove things in the interface that are not available, but to disable them/grey them out, when possible. My thinking is that I want people to know where everything is, even if they can't currently use a given feature. I've been frustrated with other software where things appear and disappear depending on settings. "Why should I look there, I've never seen it there before!" Also, at least for me, it creates awareness that the software can actually do that particular feature, even if I can't take advantage of it at the time.

But Mark, you say, things disappear on the group sidebar if they are not enabled. You're right! Perhaps I should change that so that instead of them disappearing, they should be disabled. Anyone object to that?

Sorry, typo! Toggle, not goggle 😊

On Aug 31, 2020, at 10:48 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

But isn’t Donation a group-specific goggle? Whereas the credit card tab is account-specific. So the suggestion doesn’t really make sense.

On Aug 31, 2020, at 10:35 AM, Chuck Palmer <palmerct@...> wrote:

See this thread in GMF - https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/76526722

Suggestion is to turn off Billing->Credit Card under Account if the member is not a group owner or Donations is not turned on.
If Donations is not turned on, its presence is not needed and only adds confusion for those who are not group owners.

Thanks!
-chuck
[Mod note: edited the subject to be more descriptive]