Topics

moderated Transfer GIO group to another GIO subgroup?

Jon Matcho

Is it possible to transfer (and merge) an existing Groups.io subscription into another subscription as follows:

1) The main source list would move to a sub-group in the destination subscription.
2) The three source sub-groups would move to respective sub-groups in the destination subscription.

This happened with related/sister groups in the Yahoo frenzy and we're looking to merge memberships.

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 1:53 PM Jon Matcho <jonmatcho@...> wrote:
Is it possible to transfer (and merge) an existing Groups.io subscription into another subscription as follows:

1) The main source list would move to a sub-group in the destination subscription.
2) The three source sub-groups would move to respective sub-groups in the destination subscription.

This is something that I'd have to write code to do. Which means, not until January at the soonest.

Greg Elmassian

A similar request, so trying not to derail this topic.

Need to subsume one group into another.... created a group since original yahoo group did not want to move (actually procrastinating)....

this year the original yahoo group decided to move, and I am the owner of the first, smaller group: Zimo, and the larger migrated group Zimo-DCC....

All I need is the messages from Zimo copied into Zimo-DCC, then I will delete the Zimo group.

I can export messages, just not import.... so we just need one small piece... clearly there is a way to import since you have transferred Yahoo groups.

Greg Elmassian

James Dilworth

+1 to this request.

I've recently taken over our club's groups.io - In the early days, a new group was created instead of a subgroup. Now that splinter group has 230 members and several hundred messages. There is large crossover on the member lists between the two groups, so it's mainly a question of how we keep the messages and move them into a subgroup of the main group.

We would like the ‘rowing’ group to become a subgroup of the main group.

I found the 'export' functionality, but as noted, just lacking the import side.

BTW... loving groups.io! - Recognize that you must have lots of items in the backlog.

Thanks

James

Greg Elmassian

I agree, instead of defining this request as this big complex thing with lots of options of where to move files, just write an import program, and then with the export, we can move messages as we need to. If we have to put a disclaimer on the group for legal reasons, so what.

Greg