Topics

locked Tracking features/bugs

All,

I've been looking around for a way to better organize what features and bugs I'm working on/tracking. Up till now, I've been using a todo list, which isn't great, for many reasons.

I'm experimenting with Trello. Trello lets you create boards, on those boards are lists of items. Each item can be added to over time. It's one of those things that makes more sense if you see it. Anyways, one of the features is that I can make the board public, so everyone here can see what's on the to-do and bug list. Here's the Groups.io Beta board:

I have just started populating it (my todo list is a couple pages long). Anyways, let me know if you think this is useful. There may be ways to do a Trello integration with Groups.io. (For the record, I have no association with Trello, I just found out about them).

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

I've been looking around for a way to better organize what features and
 bugs I'm working on/tracking. Up till now, I've been using a todo list,
 which isn't great, for many reasons.

I'm experimenting with Trello.

I know Ticket management is not quite the same thing, but it overlaps. Is it too heavyweight a solution? Or are you not ready for User-supplied feedback in that form?

Hence what about zendesk's ticket tracker (since you're already using them)?

Same question for UserVoice, which I only ask about because I'm reasonably happy with its user experience. The ability of users to post items, comment on items, and vote on items seems like it could give you a "sense of the community" without performing explicit polls or on-list discussion.

I don't know either product from the developer side of the fence, so those are naive questions.

At work we like Fossil's ticket-tracker. That's really more geared for the development team's use, but it does provide a web UI that one can host and open to the public; with access controls for who can read or modify. Probably more fussy to set up than you want, unless you happen to already like and use Fossil as a DRCS.

Here's the Groups.io Beta board:

https://trello.com/b/qu3WgzVq/beta

Nice!

I guess I'll learn some more about it. I do appreciate being able to see your "to-do" list, and I think that can help keep us up to date without repetitive traffic in the beta list. Will you be the only "Member" of that board, or is this a system that could also be used as a Feedback type of forum?

The "elephant in the corner" then is: why not the beta group's wiki page for this purpose? I see you started down that path, but I imagine that a tool like Trello, already honed for this purpose, proved to be more facile.

-- Shal

Shal,

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 1:33 AM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

I know Ticket management is not quite the same thing, but it overlaps. Is it too heavyweight a solution? Or are you not ready for User-supplied feedback in that form?

The answer to all your excellent questions is, "I don't know." I want to run Groups.io as transparently as possible, in terms of development. Part of that is this group, beta. Part of it is me posting what changes have been made to the site with the #updates tag. But there are a couple pieces missing, so I'm exploring options. For my own sanity I need something to track and prioritize features and bugs to work on. And that should be publicly viewable (and easy to understand for non-developers, which eliminates some bug trackers). I can see as beta gets bigger that a dedicated system for voting on features would be a good idea as well.

I've never run a company like that before, so it's uncharted waters for me. So, ya, trying some things and seeing what works. It seems like Trello might work at this stage of things for some of this.

The "elephant in the corner" then is: why not the beta group's wiki page for this purpose? I see you started down that path, but I imagine that a tool like Trello, already honed for this purpose, proved to be more facile.

Right. It felt like a more dedicated solution was better in this case. 

So, anyways, suggestions and feedback are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Duane

Minor suggestion.  On your Trello page, there's a note about "Easy Group Transfers".  It doesn't specifically mention Yahoo, though I think most of us understand that's the intent.  I moved some of my groups to BigTent when I left Yahoo, so the format is totally different and wouldn't work the same.  I wouldn't expect you to be able to transfer things, but others might assume you could.

I, for one, really like having that page to refer to.  It allows me to get a glimpse of your thought process and the direction things are moving.

Thanks,

Duane

Changed it.

Thanks,
Mark

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

Minor suggestion.  On your Trello page, there's a note about "Easy Group Transfers".  It doesn't specifically mention Yahoo, though I think most of us understand that's the intent.  I moved some of my groups to BigTent when I left Yahoo, so the format is totally different and wouldn't work the same..  I wouldn't expect you to be able to transfer things, but others might assume you could.

I, for one, really like having that page to refer to.  It allows me to get a glimpse of your thought process and the direction things are moving.

Thanks,

Duane