Topics

locked The case for social logins

I believe that social logins (ie. login via Google or Facebook) are some of the most important features that this site could have.

  1. Social logins are convenient for users who forgot their password.
  2. Many people use a password manager. If they aren't at their computer, then they can't log into Groups.io.
  3. Social logins reduce the friction in signing up for a site.
  4. Groups.io bills itself as a "modern" alternative to Yahoo/Google groups. Social logins would help create this branding and hence increase the sign up rate.

Social logins as an option maybe, but I wouldn't want it as a required way to log in. A lot of my members aren't on google+ or facebook and have no plans to be.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Chris Leong <walkraft@...> wrote:

I believe that social logins (ie. login via Google or Facebook) are some of the most important features that this site could have.

  1. Social logins are convenient for users who forgot their password.
  2. Many people use a password manager. If they aren't at their computer, then they can't log into Groups.io.
  3. Social logins reduce the friction in signing up for a site.
  4. Groups.io bills itself as a "modern" alternative to Yahoo/Google groups. Social logins would help create this branding and hence increase the sign up rate.

I would never use so-called ‘social logins’. If people want that sort of thing, then by all means have it available to them, but don’t let’s all have to suffer it to the exclusion of a proper login. Those of us who abhor social media do not want to go down the road of copying the likes of Google and Facebook. The slide of Yahoo Groups into that sort of thing is exactly why we need a home for our Groups away from Yahoo Neo in the first place!

Regards,
Robert.

Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 1:24 PM

I believe that social logins (ie. login via Google or Facebook) are some of the most important features that this site could have.

  1. Social logins are convenient for users who forgot their password.
  2. Many people use a password manager. If they aren't at their computer, then they can't log into Groups.io.
  3. Social logins reduce the friction in signing up for a site.
  4. Groups.io bills itself as a "modern" alternative to Yahoo/Google groups. Social logins would help create this branding and hence increase the sign up rate.

The problem with this is, what happens if your primary email account gets compromised and it's the one you're using for your "social signin" stuff? If you don't catch it, you just lost access to everything, and may very well have a hard time convincing other people that the person that insulted them using your social login somewhere wasn't you. As others have said, let it be an option, if Mark wants to implement it; don't replace real secure systems (password management applications and hardware) with the false security of a unified login.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

I believe that social logins (ie. login via Google or Facebook) are some of the most important features that this site could have.
  1. Social logins are convenient for users who forgot their password.
  2. Many people use a password manager. If they aren't at their computer, then they can't log into Groups.io.
  3. Social logins reduce the friction in signing up for a site.
  4. Groups.io bills itself as a "modern" alternative to Yahoo/Google groups. Social logins would help create this branding and hence increase the sign up rate..

Well put. I consider the likes of Faceache to be as leaky as an old watering can.
Robert.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the O2 network.
[...]

Nightowl >8#

I second that. I have no desire to have to be on a social group such as those, to use this one.

Brenda

I meant social logins as an additional feature - social logins only would be frustrating for many people.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Chris Leong <walkraft@...> wrote:
I meant social logins as an additional feature - social logins only would be frustrating for many people.

Agreed on all counts. I've had other requests to add social logins as well. I'll add it to the list; it will of course be optional.

Judy F.

I second this.

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA