Topics

moderated The ability to resize all uploaded Photos, or even a a single Photo #suggestion

paul fox

I'm going to paraphrase a bit of a thread from GMF that occurred in November 2019.  ("Resizing photos?")  At the time, it was suggested that I wait until after all of the Yahoo transfer churn had settled down, and then post this to beta.  So here I am.

The issue for me (and similarly for others, if I search for "photo resize" in GMF) is this:  I'm a relatively new co-owner of a group that was started 7 years ago, and as a result of our recently hitting the free storage limit (1G plus a very generous .4G overage) I've realized that no one had ever set up resize-on-upload for images.  So we have a relatively small number of huge images consuming our space.

I'd love to be able to do a resize on all images, but the steps to do so manually involve downloading, resizing, deleting the original, uploading, and then reverting it to the original owner (if its an admin doing the work).  For each and every oversize image. The idea of doing this for an entire Photos collection is daunting, to say the least.

It would be great to have a way (either with a UI button, or a request to an uber-admin) to resize an entire Photos collection.

Next best would be to have a "Resize" button on the photo Edit page, which would eliminate most of the drudgery described above.  It might default to resizing to the group max upload size, and of course it would never increase an image's size.

Thanks for maybe considering this!

txercoupemuseum.org

My groups are much the same.  We need this also; as, undoubtedly untold “free” (or will be “free” come fall) groups.  So “Me too”!

WRB

—

On May 21, 2020, at 6:33 PM, paul fox <pgf@...> wrote:

[...]

_._,_._,_

paul fox

Another possible solution to this problem occurred to me.

As I understand it, I have the ability to export all Photos and end up with a big zip file.  Assuming (and this is a big assumption) that the folders and folder names are preserved in that zip file, then it could be possible to:
  • Export to zip file
  • Do an offline batch resize of the photos
  • Create a fresh zip file
  • Pay groups.io a one-time fee to wipe out the current photos and replace them with the contents of the zipfile
Ownership of the files would likely be lost (I assume the zip file wouldn't contain that information), but it could be probably be restored by group admins on an as-needed basis.

Chris Jones

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 04:51 PM, paul fox wrote:
Ownership of the files would likely be lost (I assume the zip file wouldn't contain that information), but it could be probably be restored by group admins on an as-needed basis.
And what about any additional text that might have been added for various photographs? I know that many "uploaders" are lazy when it comes to tidying up photographs names and adding explanatory text, but those that are diligent should not have to see their efforts come to nothing.

If any change is to be requested, IMHO it ought to be resizing in situ.

Chris

I'm another one with the same problem of needing to resize some photos. If it makes any difference, I have three premium groups that have the problem in, but only on random images. I didn't resize on transfer because I don't want all images resampled. There are a few, however that are not worth the space they take up now.

As has been suggested, it's possible to resample them manually and replace the original and reassign ownership, but that's a lot of fooling around for something that should be more simple. I would really like to see a function where an owner or moderator with such rights can select an image and have the system resample them down without changing the ownership or other information.

I might be something that could be added to the extra abilities of Premium groups. A group that needed to do this one time might be able to go Premium for a month to do this. Personally, I prefer to keep a few groups Premium to help support groups.io.

A related thing I would like is to be able to move an attachment to another folder without losing the connection to the original message, so the attachment didn't cycle out. I wouldn't worry so much about later appearances in a group, and am only concerned with the first appearance in a thread.

Dano

chris jones via groups.io wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 04:51 PM, paul fox wrote:
>

> > Ownership of the files would likely be lost (I assume the zip file
> > wouldn't contain that information), but it could be probably be restored
> > by group admins on an as-needed basis.
>
> And what about any additional text that might have been added for
> various photographs? I know that many "uploaders" are lazy when it

Good point. As it turns out that the downloaded zip file (I fetched
one, to see what it looked like) contains a json file for each folder
and image containing the original datestamp and description fields.

Example:
{"Created":"2016-01-12T20:14:10-08:00","Name":"Edge.jpg", \
"Desc":"This View shows how the Wood is tapered for Better Fit"}

It's not hard to imagine an import process that honored that json file.

> comes to tidying up photographs names and adding explanatory text,
> but those that are diligent should not have to see their efforts
> come to nothing.
>
> If any change is to be requested, IMHO it ought to be resizing in situ.

Obviously that would be optimal.

And actually, as much as I'd love a bulk resize, I think a per-file
button on the edit box might be better: we have photos in our
Photos section that are scans of antique newspapers and manuals. Those
should probably remain big, and should have gone to the Files section
in the first place. But I'd hate to lose their detail in a bulk operation.

paul

=----------------------
paul fox, pgf@... (arlington, ma, where it's 77.2 degrees)

paul fox

I need to report back to my group about our Photos situation.

Can I ask (and I guess this is directed directly at Mark) what the
probability is of either one of these two things happening, sometime,
say, in the next few months?
1) Some sort of online photo resizing feature is implemented, as
discussed in this thread. (Solutions involving a one-time
payment included.)
or
2) Basic (free) group Photo storage is (at least) doubled.

Our (Wheeler and Wilson Sewing Machines) current situation is this:
- Our group is currently over limit, and even the very cumbersome
download/re-upload trick can't be used because even after
deleting the original, the Add button is still grayed out.
- A downloaded copy of our Photo archive takes 1.2G. If I bulk
resize that collection to 1024x1024, it takes just .25G, or
20% of its former space.
- The group was formed in 2013, so it took 7 years to collect
that many photos. We could go on as normal for a very long
time if we could resize, or if storage was increased even
modestly.

Our other option, of course, is to start paying. Almost more than the
cost, it's that the logistics of having to solicit the funds from the
members every year seems daunting to me. The donations feature seems
like it should help, but I'm not really interested in setting up
a back account and Swipe account. Is there a way to use the Donations
feature to have donations go directly to groups.io on behalf of a
given group's annual fee?

paul

paul fox, pgf@... (arlington, ma, where it's 58.8 degrees)