Text stripped from messages #bug

Andy

To me, this is a Bug, but it's possible it is a feature that I used improperly.  Also, I'm not sure if this message will post the way I sent it, so bear with me if it doesn't.

If I post a group message from the web interface, that has some text like this:

    "C:\Users\ <username> \My Documents\subdir"

but without the spaces around the "<username>", GIO strips out the "<username> completely.  The line becomes this:

    "C:\Users\\My Documents\subdir"

Did my text inadvertently trigger an escape sequence or hidden code?  Is this just something that I shouldn't try using on groups.io?  It seems it is not accepted when I use <...> between backslashes, but if I add a space between the backslash and the angle brackets, it works.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 02:34 AM, Andy wrote:
Did my text inadvertently trigger an escape sequence or hidden code?
I've just tried this with spaces surrounding <username> and without, and in both cases the message posted to the archive (and received by email) was as I typed it. The <username> tag was not stripped out.

Regards
Andy

Andy

Thank you, Andy, for your experiment.  I did what you tried and got the same result as you.  But hang in there.

I think I now know when the problem happens.  I think it only happens when the message is opened for Editing after it has been posted.  In other words, only if you Edit an existing message, and the text disappears as it is opened into the editor (not when it is saved or sent).  But since it's already missing in the editor, that is how the edited message will be sent or posted.

Try the following:  I will send a reply after this one which has several lines of odd-looking text.  Copy-and-paste those lines into a message in whatever group you have for testing stuff like this.  (The group must allow you to edit your own messages.)  Send the message.  Open the message.  It should look OK.

Now click More > Edit Message.  What comes up in the edit-message box this time?

If it is like my experience, every instance of text that has a < followed by a non-space character is now missing!  It strips out all the text between the < and the >, including those characters themselves.  If there is no > on that line, then it strips out the entire remainder of the line, including the carriage-return (new-line) character at the end, thus concatenating the two lines together.

It appears this happens only when < is not followed by whitespace, and it doesn't seem to matter what comes immediately before it or what else comes after.  The thought that adding spaces around the <text> made it work, had nothing to do with it.

Give it a try.

Andy

Andy

The following are lines of text, for testing what happens when a message is opened in GIO's message editor:

1 <username>
2 <username >
3 < username >
4 < username>

5 <This is a line of text.>
6 <This is a line of text. >
7 < This is a line of text. >
8 < This is a line of text.>

9 "<This is a line of text.>"
10 "<This is a line of text. >"
11 "< This is a line of text. >"
12 "< This is a line of text.>"

13 stuff<This is a line of text.>stuff
14 stuff<This is a line of text. >stuff
15 stuff< This is a line of text. >stuff
16 stuff< This is a line of text.>stuff

17 <Here is a line of text
18 <and more text
19 <and even more text>
20 END OF TEST
.

I tried OP-Andy's line-numbered test (where are the GOTOs??) and this happens only on HTML messages and only when editing, it posts fine but if you edit it things get messed-up.  Since <> are used for beginning & end HTML tag delimiters, this looks like some kind of parsing issue.  This can explain it, especially the lines 17-20 bit where some of the brackets are missing & are not balanced and that causes the missing lines.

Here's another possible clue, it seems it only happens when the editor is invoked for editing but not for replying.  If you quote the line-numbered test text from one of these numbered-test messages (as originally sent complete) and click reply, the original <> text shows fine in the quoted text in the editor so apparently in that case it doesn't do whatever it is that causes this.  To see what would happen afterwards, I then re-pasted the numbered-test below the quoted numbered-test text in my reply and sent it.  It looks fine in the archive, but when you edit it, it now does the same stripping, from both the original quoted text and the current reply text.

Cheers,
Christos

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 02:00 PM, Christos Psarras wrote:
It looks fine in the archive, but when you edit it, it now does the same stripping, from both the original quoted text and the current reply text.
Exactly...when you reopen a message in the editor, escaping of angle brackets is lost, as I originally stated here.

Hopefully this is fixable by invoking one of the TinyMCE options. If not, I can live with it, as I have for the past four years.

Regards,
Bruce

Hi All,

This should be fixed now.