Topics

Testing notifications #misc

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 1:04 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

Some other things I have noticed:

• push notifications do not identify the (sub)group that the activity took place in. As I am in multiple groups and my main group has 20+ subgroups, knowing which (sub)group the activity took place in is kind of important.

All notification titles now are prefixed by the group's subject tag.

• The spacing on the email notification for certain events is not consistent:

Think this is fixed now.

• The HTML code for some table descriptions is shown:

Fixed.

Thanks,
Mark 

Mark,

Hm... That will take some getting used to. Not saying it is a bad idea.

Now they look so much more like ordinary group messages. By eye my first reaction to my Inbox was "how did all these messages post without approval notifications?" It took a moment to realize half of them /were/ notifications, not messages.

I'd almost recommend including "Notice:" in that prefix, but that seems a bit heavyweight. "Note:"? "Nt:"? Is there a standard abbreviation or latin import that would suit? "nb:" is almost right.

Shal

Andy,

Which sort of comes back to Chris' point that the notifications work
in different ways
Vive la différence!

The underlying mechanisms are in fact different in a relevant way.

The email notifications stack up in my Inbox all day long until I get around to looking; hence the reaction people had in the first day about they and their members being "bombarded", "flooded", and other descriptions of an undesirable excess of notifications.

The web notifications are transient: here and gone on my screen in a few seconds. They don't need combining because they don't build up anywhere. I'm not sure how the app notifications will be, hopefully they won't stack up in the notification bar.

That said, I think the combiner could be modified to have an immediate "first out" if that were desirable. I had advocated such a thing, but I'm no longer so concerned about it. It would preserve immediacy in a low-activity group, but it might add to the overall complexity and apparent inconsistency of Groups.io behavior.

Shal

Chris,

The only solutions ... would be one in which the notification was sent
after (say) 10 minutes *in*activity on the part of the originator, or
perhaps one whereby the originator was prompted by /Send Notification
Now?/ somewhere.
A simpler solution would be to keep the "Notify Members" checkboxes where they are, and implement them where they aren't. Then the originator decides when he/she is "done enough" to notify the rest of the members.

Shal

Chris Jones

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 06:40 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
Then the originator decides when he/she is "done enough" to notify the rest of the members.
A provision for the originator to click OK; I'm finished, Send Notification would be just about ideal! :)

Chris

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 11:52 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
The web notifications are transient: here and gone on my screen in a few seconds. They don't need combining because they don't build up anywhere.
Apart from the Windows 10 Action Centre where you can control how many you want and their priority:

Regards,
Andy

Hm... That will take some getting used to. Not saying it is a bad idea.
Now they look so much more like ordinary group messages.
For this reason I dislike the group's subject tag in _moderator_ notifications. Group name in From was enough.

--
Lena

Andy Wedge

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 11:07 AM, Lena wrote:
For this reason I dislike the group's subject tag in _moderator_ notifications. Group name in From was enough.
Hi Lena

the group subject tag was added to the push notifications as without it, it was not possible to determine which group it was from:

Before:

After:

From what I can see, the subject tag was always sent on email notifications so that hasn't changed.

Regards
Andy

Mark,

Now they look so much more like ordinary group messages.
And this has broken at least one moderator's email filters, sending actionable mod notifications off into the "later" folder with group messages:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/32492

Shal

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 04:00 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:

From what I can see, the subject tag was always sent on email notifications so
that hasn't changed.
Email notifications of pending messages and members hadn't subject tag but had group name in From. Now group name is in both From and Subject. I ask to remove subject tag in email notifications of pending messages and members.

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 06:02 AM, Lena wrote:
From what I can see, the subject tag was always sent on email notifications so
that hasn't changed.
Email notifications of pending messages and members hadn't subject tag but had group name in From. Now group name is in both From and Subject. I ask to remove subject tag in email notifications of pending messages and members.
OK - I see which ones you're referring to now. I thought you were talking about the new notifications for database and wiki changes etc.

I think having the tag in the email subject is good and with that, we don't really need the email address of the group at the end of the subject as that is normally in the From field.

I have an email rule in Outlook that looks for the string "groups.io Notification" in the message headers and that seems to work OK in allowing me to divert these types of message from any group to another folder.

Regards,
Andy