Topics

moderated Testing new feature request/tracking system


 

I didn’t know about the notification. That’s a nice feature. But while we’re on the subject of my comment, which said that the feature you requested already exists, I think it would be a good idea for people new to groups.io to make an effort to find out whether a feature already exists, for example by asking about it in GMF, before making the feature request in the new software - which, if I understand Mark correctly, actually costs him money. 😊


On Dec 14, 2019, at 7:34 PM, Shane Grimm <shane_grimm@...> wrote:

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 11:17 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I agree now that the title length limit is good.
But disagree with adding categories. As you say, simplicity is great.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


Yes, always best to start simple. You've changed my mind as well. Also saw your reply in the site, thank you. I like how I had a notification when I opened the page to let me know you commented.

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


 

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 11:04 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
my comment, which said that the feature you requested already exists,
Per a discussion with Shane on the canny site, I have seen that his requested feature is for searchability, not access, of the member directory, and does not already exist. Also, we are in agreement that the canny site is working really well!
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


Gillian Kerr
 

I'm an owner of a premium group and can't log in to https://groupsio.canny.io/ . The error message just says "Oops sorry! Looks like something isn't working 😢 Please try again later."

Requested feature: Multilingual capacity to the groups.io user interface so we can use it in Canada for national groups (which requires a French interface because we're a bilingual country). We could translate it into French. I'll add this feature request as soon as I can log into Canny.
Gillian


 

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 7:31 PM <gillian@...> wrote:
I'm an owner of a premium group and can't log in to https://groupsio.canny.io/ . The error message just says "Oops sorry! Looks like something isn't working 😢 Please try again later."

I think this is fixed now.

Thanks,
Mark 


Chris Jones
 

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 12:22 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've restricted the login ability to people who are moderators or owners of premium groups only.
Mark; a large part of me fully understands this limitation (not least because of the possible costs involved inwidening it) but the "remainder" is a little concerned.

It seems to give an edge to those recently migrated from Yahoo who had to pay to relocate, and in many cases they may be reluctant Premium Group Owners, and almost by definition they are probably "inexperienced" group owners, at least as far as groups.io is concerned.

Meanwhile Basic Group Owners & Moderators, who are likely to be more experienced and possibly even more committed to the smooth operation of their Groups and by extension Groups.io itself, are locked out.

I hesitate to shout "isn't fair" for obvious reasons but I sincerely hope that the outcome is that any skewing of the suggestions that make the cut and get adopted simply doesn't happen.

Chris


 

I agree with Chris and had the same thought. This separation seems likely to cause a deluge of requests on canny by people completely unfamiliar with the product and who likely should be taking many of their concerns to GMF. There are already a few such requests. OTOH, it’s no problem for Mark to ignore such requests, and there seems to be no easy way around it besides possibly a restriction to having had a premium group for at least a certain amount of time. 


On Dec 26, 2019, at 4:20 AM, Chris Jones via Groups.Io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 12:22 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've restricted the login ability to people who are moderators or owners of premium groups only.
Mark; a large part of me fully understands this limitation (not least because of the possible costs involved inwidening it) but the "remainder" is a little concerned.

It seems to give an edge to those recently migrated from Yahoo who had to pay to relocate, and in many cases they may be reluctant Premium Group Owners, and almost by definition they are probably "inexperienced" group owners, at least as far as groups.io is concerned.

Meanwhile Basic Group Owners & Moderators, who are likely to be more experienced and possibly even more committed to the smooth operation of their Groups and by extension Groups.io itself, are locked out.

I hesitate to shout "isn't fair" for obvious reasons but I sincerely hope that the outcome is that any skewing of the suggestions that make the cut and get adopted simply doesn't happen.

Chris

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


Rush Kester
 

I suggest deferring the ability of all users to request new features until the backlog of requests from paid subscribers via their moderators has been worked down.  When the development team has the capacity for additional improvements, they should be submitted via the group's moderator.   Group owners (who created their group with a purpose in mind) can decide if the new feature is consistent with their group's goals.  

Rush Kester 
[Be Green] Please do not print this email unless necessary


-----Original Message-----
From: J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...>
To: main <main@beta.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Dec 26, 2019 8:01 am
Subject: Re: [beta] Testing new feature request/tracking system

I agree with Chris and had the same thought. This separation seems likely to cause a deluge of requests on canny by people completely unfamiliar with the product and who likely should be taking many of their concerns to GMF. There are already a few such requests. OTOH, it’s no problem for Mark to ignore such requests, and there seems to be no easy way around it besides possibly a restriction to having had a premium group for at least a certain amount of time. 


On Dec 26, 2019, at 4:20 AM, Chris Jones via Groups.Io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 12:22 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've restricted the login ability to people who are moderators or owners of premium groups only.
Mark; a large part of me fully understands this limitation (not least because of the possible costs involved inwidening it) but the "remainder" is a little concerned.

It seems to give an edge to those recently migrated from Yahoo who had to pay to relocate, and in many cases they may be reluctant Premium Group Owners, and almost by definition they are probably "inexperienced" group owners, at least as far as groups.io is concerned.

Meanwhile Basic Group Owners & Moderators, who are likely to be more experienced and possibly even more committed to the smooth operation of their Groups and by extension Groups.io itself, are locked out.

I hesitate to shout "isn't fair" for obvious reasons but I sincerely hope that the outcome is that any skewing of the suggestions that make the cut and get adopted simply doesn't happen.

Chris

--
J
Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


Duane
 

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 09:26 AM, Rush Kester wrote:
I suggest deferring the ability of all users to request new features until the backlog of requests from paid subscribers via their moderators has been worked down.  When the development team has the capacity for additional improvements, they should be submitted via the group's moderator.
One of the problems I see with that is that some requests may be easily implemented and don't really need to be delayed.  Based on past experience, Mark is open to all suggestions and, if worthwhile, will add them as time allows.  I certainly don't envy him the job of trying to prioritize these things!

Duane


 

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 07:26 AM, Rush Kester wrote:
I suggest deferring the ability of all users to request new features until the backlog of requests from paid subscribers via their moderators has been worked down.
Only moderators (of premium groups) can log into canny anyway, so I don't know what you mean. Do you mean on beta? This thread is about feature suggestions on canny. Plus, the "backlog" of requests from anyone, moderators or other, will never be "worked down." Stick around for awhile. :)
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


 

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 08:32 AM, Duane wrote:
I certainly don't envy him the job of trying to prioritize these things!
It is definitely a sisyphean one!
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


 

I liked the Trello board. Simple, clear, room for comments. Just archive the out of date stuff.
Maybe it's too simple and not high tech enough?

Patti


Gillian Kerr
 

No, it's still not fixed. I tried it with 2 browsers and incognito windows. Same error message. I emailed Canny with no response


Gillian Kerr
 

Still not working. I've communicated with 2 people at Canny who say it's a configuration problem at groups.io.
I give up on Canny. Sounds like it just creates more hassle for you and groups.io members.