Topics

locked Taglines

I think that it would be useful to be able to list your relation to a topic next to your name via a tagline. Specifically, this is a group specific text label that would be displayed next to your name within the Groups.io interface. For example, in GroupManagersForum I might set my tagline to "Mod of future_tech", in the-tech-zone I might set my tagline to "Web developer" and so on... These would benefit the group by making people seem less anonymous and also give a better idea of where everyone is coming from. My suggestion would be that these taglines could be either moderated or unmoderated. There are a few issues that would have to be resolved.

  1. How would this be handled via email?
  2. Reddit has "flair" in which a user is assigned one of a limited set of tags and flair can only be assigned by the moderators. Is this a better or worse system than taglines?
  3. What would be an appropriate maximum length?

This is definitely an interesting idea. Profiles are an undeveloped area of Groups.io. Let me take this and write up a bit of a proposal and get a discussion going in the new year.

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 4:18 AM, Chris Leong <walkraft@...> wrote:

I think that it would be useful to be able to list your relation to a topic next to your name via a tagline. Specifically, this is a group specific text label that would be displayed next to your name within the Groups.io interface. For example, in GroupManagersForum I might set my tagline to "Mod of future_tech", in the-tech-zone I might set my tagline to "Web developer" and so on... These would benefit the group by making people seem less anonymous and also give a better idea of where everyone is coming from. My suggestion would be that these taglines could be either moderated or unmoderated. There are a few questions about this proposal that I am unsure about:

  1. How would this be handled via email?
  2. Reddit has "flair" in which a user is assigned one of a limited set of tags and flair can only be assigned by the moderators. Is this a better or worse system than taglines?
  3. What would be an appropriate maximum length?

Chris,

I think that it would be useful to be able to list your relation to a
topic next to your name via a tagline. Specifically, this is a group
specific text label that would be displayed next to your name within the
Groups.io interface.
Another way of looking at this is like the sig-lines familiar to email systems. In Gmail, for example, this would be the "Signature" that one can specify through the General Settings page. Likewise in Yahoo Mail it is on the Writing email settings page.

A member could configure this via the Subscription page for each group.

How would this be handled via email?
In messages generated via the Groups.io interface or posted by email it would be simple enough to append the sig-line to the message body. Then it would show in the Archive as well as in messages received by email. They could be distinguished using the Usenet standard "hyphen, hyphen, space" as a separating line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block

In the Archives they could perhaps be detected and displayed at the top, next to the posting member's name rather than at the bottom of the message, if they are not too long. A length restriction could be part of the detection method, leaving the signature at the bottom of the message if it is too long.

-- Shal

Duane

I'd like to see a signature configured for each group,probably as part of the Subscription page as Shal said.  I'm on several here already and my preferred sig on my own groups wouldn't make much sense on some of the others.

On a somewhat related item, what's the difference between Full Name and User Name?  When is each used and where/when do they show up?

Duane

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 5:05 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On a somewhat related item, what's the difference between Full Name and User Name?  When is each used and where/when do they show up?

Full Name is supposed to be your full name (or what you consider your full name).. User Name is a short, no spaces, username, like a twitter username. Usernames are unique in the system, full names are not. If you do not have a username set, your profile is private (the public profile URL is https://groups.io/profile/username). I originally had it in the archives so that if we see a @username in a message, that would get linked to the profile of the person, although I just checked and it appears to not be working at the moment.

Mark