moderated #suggestion to facilitate ease of contacting specific members #suggestion

Peter

Hello Mark,

Is it possible to add an 'Actions' box for Owners and Moderators to the bottom  (or top!) of a Database, similar to that in the Members List.  But to only have one action?

In our Group, we often create a database for a specific meeting/reason etc that includes an email address column and it would be really good if the Owner / Mod could simply tick the box adjoining each line entry or all, then select the 'Action' and send a message to any or all of the people in the Database?

Not sure if this can be done but it would be really great to have this facility.

Looking forward to your thoughts and knowledge.

Kind regards

Andy Wedge

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 04:40 PM, Peter wrote:

Is it possible to add an 'Actions' box for Owners and Moderators to the bottom  (or top!) of a Database, similar to that in the Members List.  But to only have one action?

In our Group, we often create a database for a specific meeting/reason etc that includes an email address column and it would be really good if the Owner / Mod could simply tick the box adjoining each line entry or all, then select the 'Action' and send a message to any or all of the people in the Database?

As far as I can see, the Actions buttons on other screens (such as the one on RSVP events when viewing the responders) have one thing in common and that is that they operate against group members. Given that any email address could be entered in a database, having an Action button that allows you to send a message to that address could mean sending messages to non-members.  Shouldn't those messages be limited to invites or related to subscription requests?

If you use the calendar and RSVP events for your meetings, you can easily contact those who respond and you don't have to maintain a separate list of email addresses.

Regards
Andy

Peter

Thank you Andy for your message.

However, as our database(s) do not contain non-members (in fact only confirmed members can post to the Group or access any of the extant facilities), I don't see this as an issue.

In common with other groups, many of our members are non-pc and have enough problems with using the system - thankfully, the majority now know how to access a database, thank goodness!

An Actions button would only be used by a table owner or the moderators.

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 12:23 PM, Peter wrote:

However, as our database(s) do not contain non-members

That may be the case for your group but that won't be the case for other groups.

In common with other groups, many of our members are non-pc and have enough problems with using the system - thankfully, the majority now know how to access a database,

If your members are savvy enough to access a database, then 'RSVP'ing to a calendar event should be no more of a challenge.

Regards
Andy

Peter

Andy,
As my message was addressed to Mark, I’ll await his sage thoughts.  I see what you say but beg to disagree‘

Pete Cook

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 03:05 PM, Peter wrote:
As my message was addressed to Mark, I’ll await his sage thoughts.
This is a discussion group, so you can expect commentary. And I agree with Andy - my main group has a database of people that includes both members and non-members.

Pete

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think it makes sense right now. Perhaps if we had a dedicated Email column type, but otherwise I'd have to figure out if a given text cell is an email address or not, and the option would have to be offered for all tables, even with ones without email addresses in them. Perhaps a better solution is a way to tie a database row to a given group member, then we could offer some sort of contact ability. But not for random email addresses.

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 11:56 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Perhaps a better solution is a way to tie a database row to a given group member, then we could offer some sort of contact ability.
I believe that would be the better option since it would follow the existing convention of allowing messages only to group members as Andy mentioned.

Duane