Topics

locked Suggestion for files settings - testing calendar feature for reminder notices (possible bug?) #bug

I set up some calendar events with reminders. My first reminder came through this morning. I don't know if there's a limit to number of lines or characters allowed in the description box, but here's how my first test came through.

I tried one test with "All day" checked instead of a specific time. It appears the reminder didn't come through with that test, so that could be a bug. I'll try it again to see if I can get the bug to repeat.

This one is set for 10 am for one hour with a 5 minute reminder. Reminder notice is below.

So if you're looking for a way to have files repeat, but they aren't necessarily tied to when you join, are pending, or leave/banned, then the calendar seems to be a pretty flexible way to do that. It allows for more flexibility in repeat timing/frequency than Yahoogroups does.

Trish

"Calendar Test set to repeat daily with an alert 5 minutes before. Scheduled time is 10 am" Reminder

When:Monday, 26 January 2015
10:00am to 11:00am
(GMT-05:00) America/New York
Where:Location field
  1. Test set to repeat daily with an alert 5 minutes before. Scheduled time is 10 am
  2. Does all of this text come through?
  3. Does all of this text come through?
  4. Does all of this text come through?
  5. Does all of this text come through?
  6. Does all of this text come through?
  7. Does all of this text come through?
  8. Does all of this text come through?
  9. Does all of this text come through?
  10. Does all of this text come through?
  11. Does all of this text come through?
  12. Does all of this text come through?
  13. Does all of this text come through?
  14. Does all of this text come through?
  15. Does all of this text come through?
  16. Does all of this text come through?
  17. Does all of this text come through?
  18. Does all of this text come through?
  19. Does all of this text come through?
  20. Does all of this text come through?
  21. Does all of this text come through?

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 7:12 AM, pnrfan@... <pnrfan@...> wrote:
I'm going to play around with the calendar feature for this and see if it can meet my groups' needs.

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 2:40 AM, christopher hallsworth <challsworth2@...> wrote:
Oh yes please. I have uploaded welcome messages to my lists which contain some guidelines. Currently, members have to view it on the website. Thanks, any updates greatly appreciated.

On 24 Jan 2015, at 23:39, pnrfan@... wrote:

I don't know if this has been mentioned by anyone yet, but it would be a useful feature for my groups.

When uploading files, I'd like to have the ability to have that file be sent to to the group members automatically periodically. For example, once a week, once a month, once a year, or on a certain date.

I'd also like an option to send it to them when they join the group for something other than the generic groups.io welcome message. I have several different files that go out to new members.

Thanks
Trish

Duane

I also did a test, but using All Day, repeating every 1 day.  Here's what I got:

"test" Reminder

When: Monday, 26 January 2015 12:00am to
Tuesday, 27 January 2015 12:00am
(GMT-06:00) America/Chicago
Where:

If the When would show just the first Date without time/zone for All Day events, I think it would be more clear, though not precise.  I had the reminder set for 2 minutes, so it came in at 23:58 Sunday night.  Adding a choice button on the reminder to send by email or send to group archives would be my preferred choice.  By choosing send to group archives, even those on No Email would see it posted in the group.  Would send to group archives be the preferred default for most people?  Would there be events where this wouldn't be preferred?

I like having all the options to start, repeat interval, etc.

I noticed that the Event was deleted from today on the Calendar.  This makes sense since it's already happened, but there may be instances when I'd like to keep it on there for future reference.

I have another test pending using the group name in the Where field, just to see what it looks like.  I'm thinking that using an event name of "Monthly groupname" would look a little better and more clearly explain what it was.  That should show up as "Monthly groupname" Reminder, so leaving the location blank would make more sense to me in that case.

Duane