Topics

locked Suggestion for files settings

I don't know if this has been mentioned by anyone yet, but it would be a useful feature for my groups.

When uploading files, I'd like to have the ability to have that file be sent to to the group members automatically periodically. For example, once a week, once a month, once a year, or on a certain date.

I'd also like an option to send it to them when they join the group for something other than the generic groups.io welcome message. I have several different files that go out to new members.

Thanks
Trish

Duane

I'm sure the scheduled messages have been discussed, but I don't think an attachment was mentioned. There are currently options for Welcome, Pending, Goodbye, and Banned. If it were me, it would contain a link to the file on the group, especially if it's very large. I have several members still on dialup, so I try to minimize message size. (side note: Has anyone else tried to access NEO on dialup? ;>)

Duane

Duane - This was discussed earlier as there were others with the same concern. The discussion seemed to lead to the recommendation that there be a setting for individual members that could be turned on so that attachments over a certain size would be replaced with a link on the message that would take the reader to the attachment. - Dano

Oh yes please. I have uploaded welcome messages to my lists which contain some guidelines. Currently, members have to view it on the website. Thanks, any updates greatly appreciated.

On 24 Jan 2015, at 23:39, pnrfan@... wrote:

I don't know if this has been mentioned by anyone yet, but it would be a useful feature for my groups.

When uploading files, I'd like to have the ability to have that file be sent to to the group members automatically periodically. For example, once a week, once a month, once a year, or on a certain date.

I'd also like an option to send it to them when they join the group for something other than the generic groups.io welcome message. I have several different files that go out to new members.

Thanks
Trish

I'm going to play around with the calendar feature for this and see if it can meet my groups' needs.

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 2:40 AM, christopher hallsworth <challsworth2@...> wrote:
Oh yes please. I have uploaded welcome messages to my lists which contain some guidelines. Currently, members have to view it on the website. Thanks, any updates greatly appreciated.

On 24 Jan 2015, at 23:39, pnrfan@... wrote:

I don't know if this has been mentioned by anyone yet, but it would be a useful feature for my groups.

When uploading files, I'd like to have the ability to have that file be sent to to the group members automatically periodically. For example, once a week, once a month, once a year, or on a certain date.

I'd also like an option to send it to them when they join the group for something other than the generic groups.io welcome message. I have several different files that go out to new members.

Thanks
Trish

Duane

pnrfan,

You may be on to something there, using the calendar. I had done a test a few days ago to see what the Reminder looks like when emailed. It seems to contain the text from the Description box, Date, and Location. Other than having a Date and Location included, it shouldn't be too bad. I'm pretty sure that the Date can't be blank. I'm not sure about Location, but I think it can. I guess you could enter the group name here, just so it wouldn't be blank? Set up an Event, Repeat... for whatever interval and Never Ends. It does have the weekly, monthly, yearly, and a few other options.

Off to test!

Duane

Trish,

When uploading files, I'd like to have the ability to have that file be
sent to to the group members automatically periodically. For example,
once a week, once a month, once a year, or on a certain date.
I agree. I suggest that the file upload have a "Schedule" button. The button creates a calendar event that sends the file, or a link to the file, as its reminder. That would allow you to easily pick a date for the file to be sent, and all the flexibility of the repeated event controls is available.

Conversely, when creating an event with a reminder, picking a file to send or link could produce the same result:
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/beta/message/191

-- Shal

Judy F.

Trish, please let us know what you find out.  I am very interested in knowing.

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

[...]

Duane, if it doesn't also provide a way to send an automatic message to a specific email address, when they are pended, actually join, leave group, denied, etc. that doesn't help those of us that use that feature in Yahoo Groups quite extensively. Example: When someone joins the selling group, they are pended and an email is automatically, sent asking for required information and ask that it be returned within a certain amount of time. If we get it within that time and all of the information is there, I then approve them. If I don't get it in that amount of time, I deny the request to join.

I really don't see how the calendar can do this type thing, since it isn't a recurring event and is directed to a specific email address for a specific reason. The others are for information purposes only.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA