moderated #suggestion for extracting data from a database #suggestion

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 11:14 AM, Peter Rawbone wrote:
It would be good if the organiser of a particular meeting could extract some information from the database i.e. email addresses to contact attendees saving the need to download the information and convert it into excel of libre Office etc.
I'm a bit confused by the terminology here.  You seem to be wanting to extract information but without downloading it.  How would you use an extract without downloading it?

Regards
Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 09:25 AM, Peter Rawbone wrote:
What would be good is for a non-moderator to be able to access elements from within the data I.e email addresses in order to send a message to the attendees rather than exporting it to a spreadsheet.
Peter -- Try selecting one of the "Members can view" permissions for database tables. If a member can see it, they should be able to cut-and-paste the data.

If you're looking for something else, I guess I'm not getting it yet, either.

Regards,
Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 02:25 PM, Peter Rawbone wrote:

I hoped/thought that by mentioning excel or libre office would imply downloading.

It does and you also mentioned that you didn't want to download, but you also mentioned 'extract' which implies that you do - hence the confusion.

What would be good is for a non-moderator to be able to access elements from within the data I.e email addresses in order to send a message to the attendees rather than exporting it to a spreadsheet.

As the columns in a table are user-defined and none can currently be defined as an email address I'm not sure how that would work.  Perhaps something more along the lines of keeping track of who adds rows to the table and providing a facility to email those like we currently have for contacting responders to an RSVP event?  That would negate the need for a column in the database to hold an email address. It would also ensure that messages sent are going to verified addresses.

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 03:51 PM, Peter Rawbone wrote:
and Andy where did I say I "didn't want to download".
in your very first post when you said "saving the need to download the information and convert it into excel of libre Office etc."

Regards
Andy

Peter Cook

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 02:44 PM, Peter Rawbone wrote:
You appear to deliberately misunderstand my request.
I don't think so, as I had the same question about your initial post.

Perhaps - in a forum where people are here to help - you can simply assume that if someone says they're confused, they're just confused.

Pete