moderated #suggestion enter key not working on chat #suggestion

Carol Hunter

First of all, I would like to say how much I like groups.io. One of the groups I belong to uses the chat function for meetings. Although I know its not a main feature of groups.io, it meets our needs. Since the last update the enter key no longer works and the upload button need to be clicked after every message is typed. Is there a chance this could be fixed?
Thank you
Carol

Duane

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 11:27 AM, Carol Hunter wrote:
Is there a chance this could be fixed?
Since it's not broken according to the Members Manual, "After you join the chat, you can contribute to the chat by entering text in the text field and clicking the Send button.", it can't be fixed, but may be considered for inclusion.  If I remember right, it's this way because people were using the enter key to start a new line, but it was sending the message before they were actually ready.

Duane

Carol Hunter

Thank you for your prompt response and directing me to the users manual. I have been using the chat for approx 18 months and since the enter key worked for submitting text I assumed it was meant to work that way.  Thank you for considering it for inclusion.
Carol

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 10:33 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 11:27 AM, Carol Hunter wrote:
Is there a chance this could be fixed?
Since it's not broken according to the Members Manual, "After you join the chat, you can contribute to the chat by entering text in the text field and clicking the Send button.", it can't be fixed, but may be considered for inclusion.  If I remember right, it's this way because people were using the enter key to start a new line, but it was sending the message before they were actually ready.

Duane

Just a couple of suggestions for the Enter key in chats.

It seems to be a standard on Enter-sends-message systems that you can press Shift-Enter to insert a line break without sending. However, this is a bit obscure and prone to accidents.

Another idea is to have a checkbox easily available for "Enter sends message", right by the chat. Having it easily available means that a user who mostly types quick responses can leave it checked most of the time but uncheck it if a more complicated response needs to be typed.

JohnF