moderated #suggestion - default sort in database #suggestion

Jim AF3Z <jagoudie@...>

Hello,

I've used groups.io for years... and I think I've suggested this before.  It seems rather simple and obvious, but...

I would love to see it possible to set the sort function in the databases to default to a column other than ID.  We use it for scheduling and it would be so much better if it automatically sorted by our day/time column.   Only the admins have any need to sort by ID.  Everybody else needs to see the entires sorted by day/time.  After editing, saving, adding to the database, it goes back to being sorted by ID... That causes entry errors, scheduling conflicts are missed.... etc.  aargh!

So... please ;-) add a means of setting the default sort to a column other than the ID.

Thanks!  --Jim

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 8:22 AM Jim AF3Z <jagoudie@...> wrote:

I would love to see it possible to set the sort function in the databases to default to a column other than ID.  We use it for scheduling and it would be so much better if it automatically sorted by our day/time column.

For an arbitrary database, how do I pick which column to sort by?

Jim AF3Z <jagoudie@...>

Mark,

I’m not talking about anything arbitrary.  The admin of that group would pick which column to sort by.
Perhaps a simple checkbox could be used to indicate the column by which you want the table to be sorted.

Thanks
Jim

Jim Goudie   —  jagoudie@...
610 Kraybill Church Rd
Mount Joy, PA 17552

On Jan 24, 2022, at 11:24 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 8:22 AM Jim AF3Z <jagoudie@...> wrote:

I would love to see it possible to set the sort function in the databases to default to a column other than ID.  We use it for scheduling and it would be so much better if it automatically sorted by our day/time column.

For an arbitrary database, how do I pick which column to sort by?

Dan B, District 26 Webadmin <webadmin@...>

In addition to picking the default column to sort by, I think moderators would also need to be able to specify the sort direction (ascending or descending).  The most common request I have seen when scanning other forums (such as the group moderator forum) is to be able to put the most recently created items at the top, so that users don't have to go through multiple pages in order to get to current items.

In terms of absolute minimum new capability that might seem to address the 80% case, I would suggest simply having a checkbox specifying whether the default sort (by ID) is ascending or descending.  Beyond, that the ability to specify which is the default sort column (with a pull-down) would certainly be delightful.
Aside: Is there any open-source way to contribute to groups.io?  As a developer I'd be happy to take a look at this.