Topics

locked suggestion - Consistency (ies)

KWKloeber

Post v message

Don't care -- Consistency is my point. - which keeps getting conflated with arguments over one personal preference versus another.
That said, I agree POST is more better.

KWKloeber

shal

<<<< "Messages", but "Posts by members"
What I've seen in Groups.io (I mean the interface, not user content) is that /message/ is the noun, and /post/ is the action. >>>>>
Ok, I could accept that - except that gio uses message and post interchangeably,

Posts by members
is a noun (not an action -  ie, verb) some number of (1 to ?) messages displayed.
Now, if the screen read "messages that members have posted" that would be a different story.

A message is a noun, ie., one.
Pick one, and stay with it!

KWKloeber

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 02:36 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
please don't take my disagreement
with any of the specific examples as a dismissal of your overall goal.
I'm ot suggesting that at all, just that -- sometimes a person's bias (preference?) might tend to keep one's shoes tied tightly, making it more difficult to try on and walk in another's shoes.  At least I know I'm sometimes guilty of that until I remove the bias (preference?) shades.

<<<<perhaps "blowing up" the group.

My thought was that /Subscription/ better implies a personal connection
to the user - in the context of a group it could only refer to one's
personal subscription to that group.>>>>
My thought is that "subscription" is something members (of my age) used to order when we put a check in the mail to "newsweek." and it arrived by good old Post Office.   I had no say in any preferences such as delivery when or how, or when they published, or any "setting" of the sort.
> At least "Preferences" (display, communication, etc) would be
> recognizable.

That's not bad. It may be better.

I think it has a much more personal connotation than /Settings/, and a
more "friendly" one. Something offered as your preference doesn't seem
as risky as (read with a booming ominous voice in your head) A SETTING.
I see your point, I doubt the fear of blowing up the group settings, but do agree the connotation of "Preference" more personable and more personal.
It would also be consistent usage with the Preferences page in your Account.
It is consistent with the (uugh) Subscription page.   which reads... "Advanced Preferences.
I think it would be well understood that the Preferences would pertain to the group (uggh subscription) to which you are currently signed on.

I see where the disconnect is...
Rightfully, (given no shortage of screen space) the sidebar might read "Your Subscription Settings" (aka preferences) or "Settings for this subscription"  - some permutation of those.
Your TV remote (or for most any device) doesn't have a button "Your TV Settings" or "Settings for your TV"-- It's shortened to "Settings", "TV" is understood.
So shortening "Your Subscription Settings"  to "Subscription" loses all the context.

-K

Ken,

Ok, I could accept that - except that gio uses *message* and *post*
interchangeably,
Looking at the Settings page with fresh eyes I see what you mean. (And I would prefer to settle on /message/, see below).

E.g. the Message Policies section:

|_| Allow Non Subscribers to Post
Posts by non-subscribers will be moderated, instead of rejected.

The first usage is simply an implied object ("... to Post Messages"), but the second is a nominalization. It could be corrected as "Messages from non-subscribers..." (or "Posting by non-subscribers...").

Arguably the correction to "Messages from" would be an improvement.

I note that sometimes GMF gets questions that imply a belief that the Moderated setting also causes other content (Files, Photos) from members to also be held pending. Specifically:

|_| Moderated
All posts require approval before being sent to the group.

and also (in a member's membership page):

Posting Privileges
o Use Group Moderation Setting

In both those contexts "post" may be interpreted more broadly than just messages, and absent any moderation controls specific to Files or Photos some people use (or hope for or wish for) the broader interpretation.

Shal

Hi All,

I've gone through and changed a bunch of references to the word post to message instead. I'm on the fence of changing Subscription to Preferences, because there's a preferences section in your account already. I could be swayed however.

Also, limericks (and also haikus) are expressly permitted and encouraged.

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 02:20 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I'm on the fence
Are you on the fence post? ;)

Glenn Glazer

On 9/3/2019 15:04, J_Catlady wrote:
On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 02:20 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I'm on the fence
Are you on the fence post? ;)

It's okay as long as he doesn't make a fence post error.

Best,

Glenn
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-by-one_error#Fencepost_error

--
We must work to make the Democratic Party the Marketplace of Ideas not the Marketplace of Favors.

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 03:08 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
It's okay as long as he doesn't make a fence post error.
A fencepost error:
Mistaking a boundary
For what lies within.

J,

A fencepost error:
Mistaking a boundary
For what lies within.

Nice, but wrong in the context of computer programming (and fence building).

        A fencepost error:
        Miscount the number,
        One end and not the other.
Shal

Glenn Glazer

On 9/3/2019 17:01, Shal Farley wrote:
J,

A fencepost error:
Mistaking a boundary
For what lies within.

Nice, but wrong in the context of computer programming (and fence building).

        A fencepost error:
        Miscount the number,
        One end and not the other.
Shal

That's correct, Shal. The other legit answer is to count neither end. It sometimes depends on the nature of the fence.

Best,

Glenn

--
We must work to make the Democratic Party the Marketplace of Ideas not the Marketplace of Favors.

KWKloeber

Mark

What prefs are under Account?
I do see “adv email settings

However There are “preferences” (advanced)  under “Subscription”.
Why not be consistent?

 What (uggggh) Subscription is, is
“Your preferences for THIS group”.
How to best convey that in one word?  Dunno.

Wow, you guys won't give me any poetic license! That's what I meant. :) Here's a simple correction for the literal-minded:

A fencepost error:
Mistaking 10 boundaries
For 9 parts within.

Glenn Glazer

On 9/3/2019 18:22, J_Catlady wrote:
Wow, you guys won't give me any poetic license! That's what I meant. :) Here's a simple correction for the literal-minded:

Programming is not given to poetic license.

Best,

Glenn

--
We must work to make the Democratic Party the Marketplace of Ideas not the Marketplace of Favors.

Glenn,

That's correct, Shal. The other legit answer is to count neither end. It sometimes depends on the nature of the fence.

Yup. I just couldn't figure out a way to express the ambiguity in the haiku. Speaking of which...

J's private lim'rick
says my count is wrong. Oh... oops:
Lines out of order.

A fencepost error:
One end and not the other -
miscount the number.

Shal

Yeah, that fixes it. Here's the limerick:

My haiku you're bent on critiquing,
But your own poem's the one that needs tweaking.
Your syllable counts
Lack the proper amounts.
So be careful on that which you're speaking.

Glenn Glazer

On 9/3/2019 21:27, J_Catlady wrote:
Yeah, that fixes it. Here's the limerick:

My haiku you're bent on critiquing,
But your own poem's the one that needs tweaking.
Your syllable counts
Lack the proper amounts.
So be careful on that which you're speaking.

There once was a man from St. Bees
Who was stung in the arm by a wasp
When asked, "Does it hurt."
He replied, "No it doesn't."
"I'm so glad it wasn't a hornet."

------

There once was a man from Berdoo
Who's limericks would end at line two.

There once was a man from Verdun.

And then there is the limerick about Nero.

Best,

Glenn

--
We must work to make the Democratic Party the Marketplace of Ideas not the Marketplace of Favors.

Hahahahaha!

On Sep 3, 2019, at 9:33 PM, Glenn Glazer <glenn.glazer@...> wrote:

On 9/3/2019 21:27, J_Catlady wrote:
Yeah, that fixes it. Here's the limerick:

My haiku you're bent on critiquing,
But your own poem's the one that needs tweaking.
Your syllable counts
Lack the proper amounts.
So be careful on that which you're speaking.

There once was a man from St. Bees
Who was stung in the arm by a wasp
When asked, "Does it hurt."
He replied, "No it doesn't."
"I'm so glad it wasn't a hornet."

------

There once was a man from Berdoo
Who's limericks would end at line two.

There once was a man from Verdun.

And then there is the limerick about Nero.

Best,

Glenn

--
We must work to make the Democratic Party the Marketplace of Ideas not the Marketplace of Favors.

Bob Bellizzi

My boss at Seagate  and in eons past at IBM collected limericks.
But the only part I can impart to this forum is
There once was a lady from
and there were hundreds that went downhill from there.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Noel Leaver

I remember a long time ago reading this 'Ode to Virtual Memory':

The other day I had a scare
I wrote a byte that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
Oh how I wish that it would stay!

Noel

Dave Sergeant

I am deleting more and more posts on this list as being of no interest
to me. Recent posts like this surely have nothing to do with 'improving
groups.io' and I suggest we put a halt to them otherwise I will have to
unsubscribe.

Dave

http://davesergeant.com