Topics

#suggestion Allow owners more control over the Direct-Add initial email #suggestion

Jim Avera

When a subscriber is Direct Added, the first email they get is a canned message which the owner can not control except to insert text in the middle.  Some portions of that canned text can be inappropriate or confusing for reasons described in this GMF post: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/30412

I'd like to suggest either:

* Give owners complete control of that initial communication, OR

* Let owners control the initial part, and possibly also the final part, of that first email, and put the canned bits in the middle.

If you do need to force certain text to be included, force only what is strictly necessary and eliminate possibly-wrong/confusing bits (see referenced GMF post for specifics).

Possible implementations:

(1) Eliminate that initial email altogether (or provide an option to not send it), and make the "Direct Add" Notification work like the Welcome Notification, i.e. send it automatically to newly-DA'd subscribers, before the Welcome message (or possibly make it an alternative Welcome sent only to Directly-added subscribers).

The owner could then change the DA Notification as desired to introduce subscribers to the system.

A *default* D-A Notification would contain the canned text, to preserve today's behavior  by default (assumes DA Notif is made to work like Welcome).

--or--

(2) Like (1) above but require that the DA Notification include certain text, perhaps by requiring a "[Required Text]" token somewhere which gets substituted; or else always *append* the required text to the owner's D-A Notification (ideally displaying the added text in the Notification editor so the owner can see what the combined message will look like).  But allow the owner to control the first part of the message, and any group-specific information.

Thanks for considering this suggestion!

P.S. Here is a possible *default* D-A Notification with the forced bits in the middle:

Hello [Name],

You have been added by <owner name> to the <group name> group at Groups.io.

You can visit your group, start reading messages and adjust options here: https://groups.io/g/<group>.

<<BEGIN REQUIRED TEXT>>
The email for this group is: <group>@groups.io.

Most importantly, please add this email address to your safe sender list in your email client’s contacts. If you find emails from this group landing in spam, promo, or social folders, please move those emails to your primary inbox so that you can train your email client to put them directly in your inbox.

If this was a mistake, please click on the following link and you will be immediately removed:

<Unsubscribe link>

<<END REQUIRED TEXT>>

The Groups.io Team

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 03:28 AM, Jim Avera wrote:
You have been added by <owner name> to the <group name> group at Groups.io.
In cases where there are multiple owners and/or Mods with the relevant permissions, for clarity, <owner name> should really be <owner/mod doing the DA>.

Andy

Jim Avera

Hmm, there a BUG/REGRESSION may have crept in to the Direct-Add Notification stuff:

The help text says (I see now) that D-A Notifs are auto-sent if "active". But that is not the case, i.e. a D-A Notif. is not used automatically; and there is no checkbox to make a D-A Notification "active" (like there is for Welcome and Guidelines).

Here is the current help text for the D-A Notification:

Direct Add

Message sent when a moderator direct-adds someone to a premium or enterprise group. The active notice, if any, is used as the initial text and can be edited for one-time use during the Direct Add process. A Direct Add notice is always sent; if the group has not created and activated a custom notice, we activate and use a default.

John Pearce

I don't think that's a bug.  It appears to me that there is no "active" ckeckbox because it is always active.  The control you have here is if you create a direct add notice it's added to the text.  If you delete it or don't have one, the canned notice is sent without the additional text.  I have a test member that I keep on special only just to test with.  I removed it from the group then added it back direct add.  It added the text (which I had never had before).  A direct add notice does not show as active and there is not check box either.  GIO adds the text if it's there and doesn't if one is not but the notice is still sent.

John

Jim Avera

I just Direct Added a block of subscribers from our old system, and received several emails from distressed people saying, e.g.

"I have no idea what my password is and didn’t see this until the 120 minutes had passed. What can I do now to recover?"

So to reiterate, would really be helpful to not force sending DA'd subscribers that message about logging in and passwords which expire in 120 minutes -- it is just not appropriate in some cases (like ours), and makes for a negative "first impression".  Thanks.

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 06:27 PM, Jim Avera wrote:
So to reiterate, would really be helpful to not force sending DA'd subscribers that message about logging in and passwords which expire in 120 minutes -- it is just not appropriate in some cases (like ours), and makes for a negative "first impression".  Thanks.
Jim -- I'm not aware of a system message that contains anything of this nature. Are you sure it's not a problem with one of your own Member Notices? Could you please send us a copy of what you're talking about?

Thanks,
Bruce

Jim Avera

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 04:05 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Jim -- I'm not aware of a system message that contains anything of this nature. Are you sure it's not a problem with one of your own Member Notices? Could you please send us a copy of what you're talking about?
Just look at at any "You have been added to ..." email sent by the system to anyone who was Direct Added.   Or see attached screenshot.

Jim Avera

And yes, the message sent is different than what the Direct Add dialog says it is going to send.  What you see in the Direct Add dialog is not the truth.

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 05:44 PM, Jim Avera wrote:
the message sent is different than what the Direct Add dialog says it is going to send.
I can see that it's different in that the message in the DA dialog tells a member to use the Email me a link to login button but the actual email contains the link itself which is probably easier for a new member, so that should clarified. Other than that, we seem to be discussing options to amend the DA dialog and message which has been discussed elsewhere before.

Andy