moderated #suggestion Add topic creation date and last reply date to digest email and group topic list #suggestion

Mark Murphy

On digest emails, it would be useful to add topic creation date and last reply date to each topic in the list of New Replies. Among other things this would indicate new replies to "old" posts, as well as the age of the topic.

It would also be useful to add these dates to the group's topic list.

For example:

Thank you.

ro-esp

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 04:32 PM, Mark Murphy wrote:

On digest emails, it would be useful to add topic creation date and last reply
date to each topic in the list of New Replies. Among other things this would
indicate new replies to "old" posts, as well as the age of the topic.
In whose time? UTC?

For example:
Maybe better use the international standard-format rather than the USA-one. 10-14-21 reads as either the tenth day of the 14th month of the 21st year, or the 21st day of the 14th month of 2010....

I don't have an opinion in favour or against the suggestion itself

groetjes, Ronaldo

Duane

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 04:55 PM, ro-esp wrote:
In whose time?
I'd assume (yes, I know it's not the best idea ;>) it would be displayed in the users preferred notation, as they are other places.

Duane

Andy

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 05:55 PM, ro-esp wrote:
In whose time? UTC?

Why not use the time zone preference of the user it's being sent to?

(That would mean customizing the Digest for each user - is that done already?)

Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 06:11 PM, Duane wrote:
I'd assume (yes, I know it's not the best idea ;>) it would be displayed in the users preferred notation, as they are other places.
Agreed, but non-trivial. It would require generating a separate digest/summary for each subscriber, not just by time zone.

if I recall correctly, the digests do not currently conform to each subscriber's preferred date format.

Regards,
Bruce

Duane

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 06:00 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
It would require generating a separate digest/summary for each subscriber
Actually, that's already done.  It has to be because of the options on which messages a person will get based on following, muted, etc.  It's also done based on the person's selected time zone so they don't all (try to) get sent at once.

Duane

Mark Murphy

Just use the existing methods which already display date and time in the user/subscriber's preferred format. Date and time are displayed in many places already.