Topics

moderated Suggested Feature - Provide email "call" for a message by specifying the message number

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 02:59 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
Call seems a bit obscure. How about +retrieve ? Or even +GetMessage ?
I was thinking "OrderMessage." Like you're ordering it off a menu. :)

Bob Bellizzi wrote:

To make it possible, it would be helpful to have a special email
"command" that calls to have a specific message returned to the
"caller" regardless of their email setup definition (no email, special
notices, digest, individual, whatever), the message would be emailed
to them after they initiated the call.
and later:
e.g. xyzgroup+call@groups.io (with a subject of )14587
Call seems a bit obscure. How about +retrieve ? Or even +GetMessage ?

Either way, it sounds like the email-command equivalent of the web Send-to-me feature I proposed once long ago.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/2195268

In your use case it seems like you'd want the ability to call a message that was posted before you joined the group; that seems a fairly likely case when a "mentor" is directing you to a prior message. That would break a protection I suggested back then.

So it re-opens the question of whether there needs to be any protection against having a new(ish) group member collect all of the group's history by calling for the messages sequentially. For my groups I'd rather have the feature than not, so I hope there's an answer that Mark will be comfortable with implementing.

Shal

Bob Bellizzi

Possibly, or from an individual message received via email, or, in response to a request from a member one of our "mentors" might run a search and provide the message number.
Or, in a more recent email a member tells a correspondent that the procedure is described in message number NNNNNNN.
The correspondent, not one to "do the internet" can then "call" for that particular email to be sent to them.
Think of it as a remote access request for specific information.
-

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Bare bones description w/o reasons:
Provide an additional email command, similar to those for changing email delivery,
to give email only members the ability to have a specific, by number, message emailed direct to them.

e.g. xyzgroup+call@groups.io (with a subject of )14587

would cause that numbered message to be transmitted to that member's email address.
--

I'm not sure I'm understanding the idea. Is this so a member can have a message re-sent to them by the system rather than having to go to the web page to read it?

Dano

Ok. Totally distinct idea from mine and I can see where it might be useful.
One question: how would the member know the message number they want to receive in the first place? From the digest or summary?

Bob Bellizzi

Bare bones description w/o reasons:
Provide an additional email command, similar to those for changing email delivery,
to give email only members the ability to have a specific, by number, message emailed direct to them.

e.g. xyzgroup+call@groups.io   (with a subject of )14587

would cause that numbered message to be transmitted to that member's email address.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

While I don't understand the details of this request, I may have a similar request, namely: it would be very convenient to have a way to alert a certain group member to a specific a message, either by emailing it to them specifically, or emailing them a link to it, or some sort of notification. I am thinking more or less of an @ feature. This may have been requested in the past, and this may or may not be related to Bob's request.

Bob Bellizzi

I realized that most of our 3500 member depend on email rather that online communication so specifying a message number for answer's to questions and even public or other wiki doesn't help them.
While we group congisetti move back and forth between online and email, my and many other groups' member's average age tends to put them in the "not hot on internet" set and many of the features that make groups.io so great are useless to them.

Our main group for patient advocacy is for a genetic disease area that is currently very dynamic, with new surgeries and non-surgical remedies emerging.  Some subset of people will spend their lives avoiding vision restoring surgery waiting for the ngc (next great cure), and some of those are actually showing up.
So we have NGCs and people who want them.