Topics

Subscribers leaving before pricing change #misc

SP4149

Ever since the Jan18th pricing increases were announced, one, two, three subscribers leave the list each day.  Prior to the announcement of the price increases,
one or two subscribers would leave each month.
I shared Mark's announcement in total.
Told the list where it would be classified under the guidelines for fee per member pricing.
I told the list that the price increases would not affect us immediately but that we could be vulnerable in a couple of years when the cost of an upgrade would be excessive.
I did not tell subscribers that I would be collecting a fee per member; instead I told them that I would not collect a fee from each one of the 1900+ members.
Enough sponsors have promised support for the next few years aa a Premium list.

I also told the list that Mark would be making a final analysis last week; but nothing has been provided, with the pricing increases less than a week away.
I haven't had any updates to pass to the list and the exodus of members appears to be due to the uncertainty around fee per member pricing.  We are still getting new members
but the number leaving is ten times greater.  Other list owners have been asking about Mark's update.  While I don't think Mark can afford to grandfather large
free lists of 2000 subscribers for much longer; the delay from last week is creating a lot of anxiety.

ken

RCardona

If a change doesn't affect your group, why would you bother your group with this information until such time that it would?   You're creating anxiety and panic for yourself and your group members without benefit.   I don't get why you did this and then are putting this back on Mark when it doesn't affect your group.

Robert

On 1/12/21 1:37 AM, SP4149 wrote:
[...]

Bärbel Stephenson

I have also had a person leave for this very reason.  I have not made any announcements to the group.  This person left all io groups she had been in and wrote to say why.
Barbara

On 1/12/21 1:37 AM, SP4149 wrote:
[...]

Peter Cook

I have to agree with Robert. Considering the amount of confusion that ensued after Mark's original post, I wouldn't consider saying anything to my members until I knew if, when, and exactly how they'd be impacted individually.

Pete

Leeni

That person wrote to my group saying she was leaving and going over to MeWe and gave the link to her group there.
She told my members she was leaving because Groups IO was going to be charging owners who have more then 100 members in their group. What I said to myself, how does my group concern her? Her group only had 13 members at the time. But by writing this to my group, it caused panic. Members were writing to me asking me if I heard anything. Members were leaving thinking they were going to be charged. So to nip it in the bud, I had to say something to my groups, showing them Mark's email as well.

What this woman left out  was that this would be happening after January 18th and all older groups would be grandfathered in.

She left all the IO groups she was in and moved to MeWe. She also told my members to go to MeWe and join her group there.

I wrote to this member and I also wrote to my groups.
Now after she panicked everyone, I see her back in many of the IO groups she left.

Now it is a good time to bring me to the point that if Members are going to end up being charged to belong to a group, many, many, many of them, in the circles I travel,  would leave groups IO and go elsewhere

Leeni

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:03 AM, Leeni wrote:
She told my members she was leaving because Groups IO was going to be charging owners who have more then 100 members in their group.
Now you've got me wondering whether I should issue a pre-emptive reassurance to my members. I'm going to take this over to GMF.

Pete

Peter Cook

Leeni

I  wasn't going to say anything to my groups until this one person wrote to them giving out wrong information. You see not everyone understands what is being written and discussed. Many read what they want to read and it gets bad when they report untruth's back to the groups. The only reason I said anything to my groups was to set the record straight because of what that woman said. Otherwise, it wasn't affecting my groups so there wasn't a need to say a thing.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:03 AM, Leeni wrote:
She told my members she was leaving because Groups IO was going to be charging owners who have more then 100 members in their group.
Now you've got me wondering whether I should issue a pre-emptive reassurance to my members. I'm going to take this over to GMF.

Pete

SP4149

If the new price changes reflect the cost of doing business. large, free lists like mine will not be grandfathered forever, I plan on in two or three years having to become a paid list or quit.
Obviously if upgrading to a paid list will be required not now but in a couple of years, over the next five years it makes sense to upgrade before the price increases.  Most organizations are lucky to keep their promises,
not to change  anything for current members for two years, after three years all bets are off.  I only saw Mark make a promise not to force large free lists to upgrade on Jan 18th.  After that I saw no guarantee that it wouldn't happen in 2022.
Have we seen price changes in recent years? Sure.  Do I expect to see pricing changes in the future after implementation of a new price structure? Yes.  I should also plan accordingly.

ken

RCardona posted:
6:14am