Topics

moderated "Subscriber was removed for marking a message as spam" notification #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

It would be useful of the notification sent to the +owner address when someone is unsubbed for this reason contained the same "resume subscription" link that was originally sent to the affected member. That way, if he panicked and deleted the resume message, I could forward him the notification I received and help get him back into the group that way.

More generally, we need some way that a group Owner can resend that link to the [ex-]member. Seven days of expiration does not help if the one and only message sent to him is irretrievably lost.

Thanks for your consideration,
Bruce

Dave Sergeant

That seems a sensible suggestion Bruce.

As an aside, we currently have one member with Virgin Media who gets
unsubscribed regular. He has clearly sorted out what happens since he
resubscribes in just a few minutes each time, and has not contacted me
to complain. But is there a specific issue with Virgin Media at the
moment?

Dave

On 11 May 2020 at 16:08, Bruce Bowman wrote:

It would be useful of the notification sent to the +owner address when
someone is unsubbed for this reason contained the same "resume
subscription" link that was originally sent to the affected member. That
way, if he panicked and deleted the resume message, I could forward him
the notification I received and help get him back into the group that
way.

http://davesergeant.com

Andy Wedge

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 01:02 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
More generally, we need some way that a group Owner can resend that link to the [ex-]member.
My understanding is that the link to resubscribe is personalised to the member that was removed. In that sense, receiving a copy of it would suggest getting an element of control over an account that may not be appropriate. Having the ability to resend the link could be useful though and perhaps sending it as a personal or private message rather than a system message from Groups.io would reduce the chance of it being treated as spam at the receiver's end.

Andy

Michael

In my experience, nobody has ever decided to leave the group by marking a message as spam, rather, it is always their email *client* deciding something is spam and causing them to be dropped.

Then they come to me wanting to know why they aren't getting messages, or I mention to them, if I don't miss the notice, and they are confused, because they got no notice, (perhaps it went into the spam folder too).

The "dropping them like a hot potato" because of an automated spam message situation causes headaches for admins and users alike.

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 10:51 AM, Michael wrote:
In my experience, nobody has ever decided to leave the group by marking a message as spam, rather, it is always their email *client* deciding something is spam and causing them to be dropped.
My own experience is about 50:50.

The "dropping them like a hot potato" because of an automated spam message situation causes headaches for admins and users alike.
It was not my intent to restart the FBL debate. I'm just seeking a more proactive way to help someone when they invariably <vernacular on> freak out <vernacular off> about it.

Regards,
Bruce

John Pearce

Thank You Bruce.  It seems that a number of our users over time have been removed for marking as spam.  When I contact them with my gmail address they didn't do it.  And when I ask them to carefully examine their inbox and spam folders for an email that has a link to reinstate themselves they almost always never find one.  I have no idea if this is because their provider, since they just marked GIO as spam just tosses it and never delivers it even to the spam folder, or if they are not technical (many of our users are not) and just don't know what to look for.

John P