moderated Strip out more common email sigs #suggestion


Andy Wedge
 

Hi Mark,

Following on from a previous Changelog I have a few suggestions to add to the list of common email sigs to strip out:

Sent from the all-new AOL app for Android
Sent from my Galaxy
Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2
Sent from my Huawei phone
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Sent from Outlook Mobile
Sent from Nine
Sent from eM Client | www.emclient.com
from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone    (Note: not prefixed with 'Sent')
Sent from my Samsung device
Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Get Outlook for Android

Thanks
Andy


Malcolm Austen
 

Ooo, could we add the common AV advert appendages to that list please?

Malcolm.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 13:24:33 +0100, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

Hi Mark,

Following on from a previous Changelog I have a few suggestions to add to the list of common email sigs to strip out:

Sent from the all-new AOL app for Android
Sent from my Galaxy
Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2
Sent from my Huawei phone
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Sent from Outlook Mobile
Sent from Nine
Sent from eM Client | www.emclient.com
from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone    (Note: not prefixed with 'Sent')
Sent from my Samsung device
Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Get Outlook for Android

Thanks
Andy



--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...


 

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 07:04 AM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
the common AV advert
Does that mean Avast? If not, those should also be removed.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 6:38 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:








| www.emclient.com
    (Note: not prefixed with 'Sent')




I've added these, thanks.

As for the Avast ads, I agree that they're super annoying. Unfortunately, they're tricky to catch because the company is always changing the text/links. So it's difficult to write code to find all of them.

Thanks,
Mark 


Malcolm Austen
 

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 20:43:13 +0100, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 07:04 AM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
the common AV advert
Does that mean Avast? If not, those should also be removed.

I meant any AV software, not just Avast although that seems to be the most common offender of late.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...


Malcolm Austen
 

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 20:46:56 +0100, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

As for the Avast ads, I agree that they're super annoying. Unfortunately, they're tricky to catch because the company is always changing the text/links. So it's difficult to write code to find all of them.

Sure, I didn't think it would be easy Mark - especially for AV software in general rather than just Avast.

Still, if you ever think of a way to do it, please do.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...


 

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 20:46:56 +0100, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

As for the Avast ads, I agree that they're super annoying. Unfortunately, they're tricky to catch because the company is always changing the text/links. So it's difficult to write code to find all of them.

I didn't think it would be easy Mark - especially for AV software in general rather than just Avast.

Still, if you ever think of a way to do it, please do.
 

 
For AVG Free users it can be done manually.
Open AVG and go to Menu > Settings
Under "Basic protection" - "Email Shield", UNcheck "Add a signature to the end of sent emails."
 
Someone please correct this if you find it doesn't work.
 
Dano
 
 
 


Larry Finch
 



On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 4:39 PM Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...> wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 20:46:56 +0100, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

As for the Avast ads, I agree that they're super annoying. Unfortunately, they're tricky to catch because the company is always changing the text/links. So it's difficult to write code to find all of them.

Sure, I didn't think it would be easy Mark - especially for AV software in general rather than just Avast.

Still, if you ever think of a way to do it, please do.


This story is a year old, and they claim they have stopped being evil, but do you trust them?


--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 50"
W 74° 02' 55"


Drew
 

I guess I don't really get many of these annoying commercial sigs in the lists that I subscribe to, but I just searched through a bunch of email to find an Avast sig...

It is pre-pended with a "-- " (dash-dash-space sequence on a line of its own), which is the ancient standard sig separator from Usenet days of old. It may be possible to simply trim everything after a dash-dash-space sequence. I guess you would want to check an assortment of Avast sigs to see if they are consistent in this respect.

Also, regexp (regular expression) search & replace (if available) might be a more powerful way of trimming Avast and other such sigs rather than trying to specify every existing variation.

Drew

On 06/15/21 14:46, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 6:38 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@linetwo.co.uk <mailto:andy_wedge@linetwo.co.uk>> wrote:
| www.emclient.com <http://www.emclient.com>
/(Note: not prefixed with 'Sent')/
I've added these, thanks.
As for the Avast ads, I agree that they're super annoying. Unfortunately, they're tricky to catch because the company is always changing the text/links. So it's difficult to write code to find all of them.
Thanks,
Mark


Duane
 

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 04:45 PM, Drew wrote:
It may be possible to simply trim everything after a dash-dash-space sequence.
No, that's what the site uses for our signatures that we've set up for groups.  I haven't seen all of those used as AV ads, but I would think most, if not all, would say "virus free" or at least contain the word virus.

Duane


Art Kocsis
 

On 06-15-2021 12:46, Mark Fletcher wrote:
As for the Avast ads, I agree that they're super annoying. Unfortunately, they're tricky to catch because the company is always changing the text/links. So it's difficult to write code to find all of them.
I suppose that I am the outlier here but I disagree.

Virus scanning is useful info and should not be removed - unlike the strictly obnoxious advertisements "Sent from ..." and such.


 

Art commented:
I suppose that I am the outlier here but I disagree.

Virus scanning is useful info and should not be removed - unlike
the strictly obnoxious advertisements "Sent from ..." and such.
Remember - anything that can be added as a tag line can be spoofed. If you're not doing your own virus scanning you're just waiting for trouble. The only reason the VS companies put on a tag lines is advertising.

Dano


Dave Sergeant
 

Indeed, which is why I always disabled these tag lines when I used
Avast. In any case, it is quite easy for the user to disable them in
Avast options, although slightly hidden.

I don't use Avast now, having realised that it had not alerted me to
anything for many years I have moved to Windows Defender which doesn't
have these quirks.

Dave

On 15 Jun 2021 at 22:42, D R Stinson wrote:

Virus scanning is useful info and should not be removed - unlike
the strictly obnoxious advertisements "Sent from ..." and such.
Remember - anything that can be added as a tag line can be spoofed. If
you're not doing your own virus scanning you're just waiting for
trouble. The only reason the VS companies put on a tag lines is
advertising.

http://davesergeant.com


Dave Wade
 

Personally I would add a disclaimer after the Avast tag line saying
something along the lines of.....

".. later processed by several other systems that could have added a
virus"....

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Art Kocsis
via groups.io
Sent: 16 June 2021 04:25
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Strip out more common email sigs #suggestion

On 06-15-2021 12:46, Mark Fletcher wrote:
As for the Avast ads, I agree that they're super annoying.
Unfortunately, they're tricky to catch because the company is always
changing the text/links. So it's difficult to write code to find all of
them.

I suppose that I am the outlier here but I disagree.

Virus scanning is useful info and should not be removed - unlike the
strictly
obnoxious advertisements "Sent from ..." and such.





Andy Wedge
 

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 08:47 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've added these, thanks.
I'd add one more to the list and that is 'Sent from Mail for Windows 10'.  I think it would also be great if you could filter out that annoying little graphic image that gets inserted by that application as a mail separator. We moderate messages with attachments and they get caught because of it.  It seems that some replies from members using Mail for Windows 10 do not create the graphic so I think it may be related to the settings they have; I just haven't found out if there's an option to turn it off yet.

Regards
Andy