moderated Stricter treatment of invalid hashtags #bug

Peter Cook

This seems to me to lie somewhere between a suggestion and a bug.

We use hashtags a lot in my premium group, which is set up so that members can only use existing hashtags; if an invalid hashtag is used. the message is kicked back. But if someone puts a hashtag in the subject line and inadvertently follows it with a punctuation mark (for example, "#FREE:" instead of the valid hashtag "#FREE"), the message is not kicked back. It goes right on through and of course the string is not recognized as a hashtag. However, if someone were to send a message with the string "#FREEP," it would be treated as invalid.

I'd like to see stricter rules so that any string in the subject line beginning with # is seen as an invalid hashtag unless it corresponds precisely to an existing one. So "#FREE:" would be treated as an invalid hashtag just as "#FREEP" would, and the message would be kicked back.

Pete

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 4:38 PM Peter Cook <peterscottcook@...> wrote:

I'd like to see stricter rules so that any string in the subject line beginning with # is seen as an invalid hashtag unless it corresponds precisely to an existing one. So "#FREE:" would be treated as an invalid hashtag just as "#FREEP" would, and the message would be kicked back.

I've changed how we parse hashtags in subject lines so that they now include all punctuation, except periods, question marks, and exclamation points appearing at the end of a hashtag, which are ignored (which is something we've always done).

Peter Cook

Thanks, Mark!

pete