moderated Strange new "Members" selections #bug


Andy
 

Maybe a bug, but I'm not sure.  Read on.

I see there is a brand new way for Moderators to view their Members lists under Admin > Members.  Instead of clicking the dark blue "Members" button at the top, now there is a light blue filter button next to it with a drop-down menu and several more choices that can be selected.  OK.

However, if I select "Bouncing" and click "Apply", Groups.io changes my selection to be both "Bouncing" and "Not Confirmed".  It appears there is no way to select "Bouncing" members only.

Was that intentional?  Or a bug?

Andy


 

It's weirder than that. Here's the sequence I just experienced:
1. I select "bouncing" via the light-blue filter and get back no members (so far so good, because I have no bouncing members)
2. I then click on "Members" on the left and get back, instead of the full members list, my one pending member
3. I click the dark-blue (former dropdown) Members on the top and got the full members list
4.But if I go out and then back into my group, I am forever plagued with getting *first* just the pending members list, and then having to check the dark-blue box to get the full members list again. Clicking "Members" on the left doesn't do it any more. And I see that the filter has (seemingly forever) changed itself from "bouncing" to "pending members"

My eyes are glazing over from this because I've tried it numerous times and I'm not writing down the results each time - just trying to remember them. But the bottom line seems to be that I can no longer easily get to my full members list, because this new filter has set itself to pending.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

After a reload, the pending box is no longer checked, but I still get only the pending members list when I click Members on the left. I don't think that used to be the case.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

J,

After a reload, the pending box is no longer checked, but I still get
only the pending members list when I click Members on the left. I
don't think that used to be the case.
Yes, if there is one or more Pending member it did/does. Much to the confusion of many a new group owner/mod.

Shal


 

Shal,

It did that with the drop down. But it didn’t do that if I clicked Members on the left. Seriously? In six years I hadn’t noticed that? When I wanted to see the full members list, I had to go through two steps? Am I completely losing it?

On Apr 8, 2021, at 9:42 PM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@gmail.com> wrote:

J,

After a reload, the pending box is no longer checked, but I still get
only the pending members list when I click Members on the left. I
don't think that used to be the case.
Yes, if there is one or more Pending member it did/does. Much to the confusion of many a new group owner/mod.

Shal




--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Wait, don’t answer that


Shal,

Am I completely losing it?
On Apr 8, 2021, at 9:42 PM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@gmail.com> wrote:

J,

After a reload, the pending box is no longer checked, but I still get
only the pending members list when I click Members on the left. I
don't think that used to be the case.
Yes, if there is one or more Pending member it did/does. Much to the confusion of many a new group owner/mod.

Shal





--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu




--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Andy
 

Sorry if I misspoke by posting this as a separate Topic.  I didn't know it was already being discussed in another topic.

Andy (not the one from U.K.)


 

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 11:24 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
After a reload, the pending box is no longer checked, but I still get only the pending members list when I click Members on the left. I don't think that used to be the case.
In my experience, that has always been the case. If I had a pending membership application, only the pending memberships showed up when I clicked "Members" on the left, and I had to select "Members" from the drop down list (blue "Members" button) at tthe top left of the pending members list to view the whole list. It wasn't 100% consistent, but most of the time that's how it worked. I could also select "Pending", "Bouncing", "Moderators", and "Past". Most of those show up as filtering options now, except for "Past", which has its own button.
 
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas
https://t-vog.groups.io/g/main    https://davidcbryant.net


Chris Jones
 

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:23 PM, David Bryant wrote:
In my experience, that has always been the case. If I had a pending membership application, only the pending memberships showed up when I clicked "Members" on the left, and I had to select "Members" from the drop down list
Agreed; this "phenomenon" has always been the case, at least since I came on to Groups.io several years ago.

Chris


 

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 4:30 AM Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:23 PM, David Bryant wrote:
In my experience, that has always been the case. If I had a pending membership application, only the pending memberships showed up when I clicked "Members" on the left, and I had to select "Members" from the drop down list
Agreed; this "phenomenon" has always been the case, at least since I came on to Groups.io several years ago.

It was coded this way because I thought it'd be a 'shortcut' for moderators. If you have a pending member, you'd want to view it when going to the members page. If it causes too much confusion, I can easily remove this behavior.

Thanks,
Mark 


 

Yes, please remove it! I don’t want to see pending members every time I view the members list. I only look at pending members when I’m going to act on them in some way, and that’s not very often, since I wait for their pending notice response to come in, which usually takes at least a few days anyway. I view (or need/want to view) the full members list an order of magnitude more often than pending.


On Apr 9, 2021, at 10:30 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:


On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 4:30 AM Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:23 PM, David Bryant wrote:
In my experience, that has always been the case. If I had a pending membership application, only the pending memberships showed up when I clicked "Members" on the left, and I had to select "Members" from the drop down list
Agreed; this "phenomenon" has always been the case, at least since I came on to Groups.io several years ago.

It was coded this way because I thought it'd be a 'shortcut' for moderators. If you have a pending member, you'd want to view it when going to the members page. If it causes too much confusion, I can easily remove this behavior.

Thanks,
Mark 

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Duane
 

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:30 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It was coded this way because I thought it'd be a 'shortcut' for moderators. If you have a pending member, you'd want to view it when going to the members page. If it causes too much confusion, I can easily remove this behavior.
I agree with your logic and would like to keep it this way.

Duane


Chris Jones
 

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 06:30 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If it causes too much confusion, I can easily remove this behavior.
I honestly can't see why it should; it's not a new feature and owners & moderators are almost certainly used to it being there.

Chris


Andy Wedge
 

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 06:30 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It was coded this way because I thought it'd be a 'shortcut' for moderators. If you have a pending member, you'd want to view it when going to the members page. If it causes too much confusion, I can easily remove this behavior.
 
I like the way it currently works and would like it to stay that way.

Thanks
Andy


 

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:30 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It was coded this way because I thought it'd be a 'shortcut' for moderators. If you have a pending member, you'd want to view it when going to the members page. If it causes too much confusion, I can easily remove this behavior.
 
Please leave it as is. I like being notified about pending memberships whenever I view the membership list. Two extra mouse clicks to view the full list is no big deal.
 
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas
https://t-vog.groups.io/g/main    https://davidcbryant.net


Duane
 

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 01:45 PM, David Bryant wrote:
Two extra mouse clicks to view the full list is no big deal.
Actually, it's only one now, just click Members next to the Filter button.  I suspect most will be wanting to filter anyway, so you can just change the filter options without even going to the full list.

Duane


 

Right, only one now, so actually an improvement.


On Apr 9, 2021, at 12:11 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 01:45 PM, David Bryant wrote:
Two extra mouse clicks to view the full list is no big deal.
Actually, it's only one now, just click Members next to the Filter button.  I suspect most will be wanting to filter anyway, so you can just change the filter options without even going to the full list.

Duane

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


JenniferEverSews
 

No change needed, the shortcut is practical & effective for my groups.
Jennifer