Topics

locked Special Notices, it is done

Linda

Hi Mark,
Congrats on your anniversary! Thanks for all your hard work.

I noticed that the description of the new option was not correct:
"Only messages in threads you start or post in are emailed to you."
(same as above, Replies Only)

BTW I still find the placement of the Daily Digest option confusing.

Thanks,
Linda

Linda,

BTW I still find the placement of the Daily Digest option confusing.
The key is that it is a checkbox, independent of the other choices. This is not the same as Yahoo Groups, where Digest is the same as "All", but in a digest. The meaning in Groups.io is that whatever messages you get, as a result of the other choices, arrive as a digest instead of individually.

-- Shal

Judy F.

Shal, if members are used to Digest where you get all of the messages and
then all of a sudden Digest has a totally different meaning that will cause
a lot of confusion. Does All Mail mean you are getting everything
individually? If yes, maybe change that to also say as single messages or
something like that. Then describe Digest more clearly like from options
above.

All I will be doing is explaining how that works because I'm sure you know
that most people do not read.
Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

BTW I still find the placement of the Daily Digest option confusing.
The key is that it is a checkbox, independent of the other choices. This is
not the same as Yahoo Groups, where Digest is the same as "All", but in a
digest. The meaning in Groups.io is that whatever messages you get, as a
result of the other choices, arrive as a digest instead of individually.

-- Shal

Judy - You have to remember that users are not moving to Yahoo again. They're moving to a different group system; one that may have originated from the roots of Yahoo groups, but much changed and improved. They should expect that some things will be different than Yahoo. Mark is not recreating Yahoo groups here - he's trying to build something even better. Otherwise there would be no reason to move. Dano

Judy,

Does All Mail mean you are getting everything individually?
It means you get every message.

Individually, or in a daily digest, depending on the Daily digest checkbox. Likewise for the other selections.

I haven't actually tested this, but that's the inference I take from the controls and their description.

-- Shal

On 1/17/2015 1:14 PM, J. Faulkner wrote:
Does All Mail mean you are getting everything
individually? If yes, maybe change that to also say as single messages or
something like that.
I agree - especially since all other listerver programs use
"Individual Messages" to mean just that.

I would think that back to what I'd said before - there
are delivery options, and then there are LSoft like "topic"
options - and they should be separate.

Individual Messages or Digest or NoMail or Admin Notifications.

Those are delivery options - and since Admin notifications can
contain information on something affecting the web-group access,
I prefer to use that option instead of NoMail. With the caveat
that I often have two addresses subscribed, and the second is set
NoMail.

Topic options should be put in a separate file cabinet - it
affects *what* you see, not *how* you see it. So if I am set
to Individual Messages, but opt to not see #catchat - I get
all messages except #catchat, as separate individual messages
in my email. If I've chosen Digest, then the Digest would also
hopefully have everything but #catchat.

I don't know how easy that is to code - I do know that is one
place that LSoft fails (and probably is the main reason I do
not like Digest). If you choose Digest on LSoft, you get
*EVERYTHING*, whether you've subscribed to the topic or not.

Question, however - if you "mute the thread", does it just
refer to the actual subject? Or to the subject *and* all the
hashtags used by that subject?

Would assume that the hashtags would have to be a setting,
the way you do with LSoft - and the thread refers to whatever
is after the hashtags?

dg

Judy F.

Dano, I am well aware that this is not another Yahoo Groups redo and also that things will look and work differently.  I am not asking that things work the same based on the fact that I am a Yahoo groups user.  I only know Yahoo Groups terminology since that is the only social media type site I have ever used.  So it’s only natural that I would use that terminology that I know as an example of what I am talking about.

Thanks,

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA