Topics

moderated Special Notices #suggestion

Frances

I sent a message special notice from my group home.
I ticked the Special Notice box.
However, there is no marking on the incoming message.
I confirmed in Activity that it was sent as special.

I think it would be useful if the hashtag was added automatically when you tick the Special Notice box.
Or a pop-up reminder to add the hashtag yourself.

Some members might wonder why they got mail from the group all of a sudden.
Not a huge deal, but it confused me at first.

Frances

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 11:33 am, Frances wrote:
I think it would be useful if the hashtag was added automatically when you tick the Special Notice box.
What hashtag? Do you mean adding a hashtag coded as special notice? That will cause not only the message itself, but also all replies to it, to be sent as special notices.

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 12:20 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
Do you mean adding a hashtag coded as special notice?
Yes, one can create a hashtag that automatically gets sent out as a Special Notice. What Frances wants is [kinda] the flip site of that -- that any special notice will automatically receive a hashtag (like polls, events and chat announcements currently do), to distinguish it from a regular post.

Bruce

Bruce Bowman

You bring up a good point, though. Replies might have to be disabled to make this work right.

Bruce

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 12:26 pm, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Yes, one can create a hashtag that automatically gets sent out as a Special Notice.
Yes and my point is that that's not what Frances thinks it is. It causes the entire message thread to go out as special notices. It's not just marking a messages as a special notice.

Frances

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 12:20 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
What hashtag? Do you mean adding a hashtag coded as special notice? That will cause not only the message itself, but also all replies to it, to be sent as special notices.

J_Catlady, good point. I would only want the original to be hash tagged.
So that wouldn't work.

It is not something I do often and I thought I had made a mistake. Only when I looked at Activity, I was able to confirm that it went Special Notice.

And from the other end, the receiver, who prefers no email. It would be nice if they realized this is unusual, not a site malfunction!

Frances

Frances

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 12:20 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
What hashtag? Do you mean adding a hashtag coded as special notice? That will cause not only the message itself, but also all replies to it, to be sent as special notices.

J_Catlady, good point. I would only want the original to be hash tagged.
So that wouldn't work.

It is not something I do often and I thought I had made a mistake. Only when I looked at Activity, I was able to confirm that it went Special Notice.

And from the other end, the receiver, who prefers no email. It would be nice if they realized this is unusual, not a site malfunction!

Frances

Duane

I hope this suggestion doesn't make anyone dizzy. ;>)  How about a hashtag named #SpecialNotice that is attached to items sent as a Special Notice, but not set as a Special Notice type?

Duane

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 01:08 pm, Duane wrote:
How about a hashtag named #SpecialNotice
Or call it #SpecialNoticeMessage

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 01:42 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
#SpecialNoticeMessage
Maybe #SpecialMessage or #AdminMessage or ?  I think what we're looking for is something that will let folks know this is an uncommon communication and won't be a regular thing.

Duane

Sarah k Alawami

I use #admin in my case then I lock the topic so no replies can come to it. See if that works for you?

On Jun 7, 2018, at 3:00 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 01:42 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
#SpecialNoticeMessage
Maybe #SpecialMessage or #AdminMessage or ?  I think what we're looking for is something that will let folks know this is an uncommon communication and won't be a regular thing.

Duane

Admin message is not great imo. It might be anything, not necessarily anything administrative.

On Jun 7, 2018, at 3:00 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 01:42 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
#SpecialNoticeMessage
Maybe #SpecialMessage or #AdminMessage or ?  I think what we're looking for is something that will let folks know this is an uncommon communication and won't be a regular thing.

Furthermore, some groups already use the #Admin hashtag and not necessarily all want those messages to be sodvjsl notices. It also prevents group choice in whether or not to make the #Admin tag Special (in the coded hashtag sense of all messsges in the thread being sent as special notices). Using #Admin for this would require massive changes or adjustments and confusion  in what are probably thousands of groups already using it. I’d consider it taken. You need something unique.

On Jun 7, 2018, at 3:00 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 01:42 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
#SpecialNoticeMessage
Maybe #SpecialMessage or #AdminMessage or ?  I think what we're looking for is something that will let folks know this is an uncommon communication and won't be a regular thing.

Frances

Hi

I thought it might help if I told you how I want to use it in one of my groups, my family site.

There are several of the younger family members who are set to Special Notice only. (They aren’t even interested in the setting of First Message Only.)

However we are having a family reunion and I sent out one notice that I could be sure that they would get. Without their parents having to forward it!

I am sure they haven’t seen the chitchat about possible dates, etc. (I doubt they ever login!) And I don’t want them to start getting replies to that “special notice” email.

It really is infrequent. Likely we’ll send out one other message for a Christmas event. And if there are any very sad family events….

So I want to send just one email to make sure they know about reunion and NO replies. But I don’t want them to think that Groups.io has gone crazy and is starting to send them messages! Then they might just unsubscribe.

I was surprised that ticking the Special Notice box didn’t mark the message in some way. Not sure how. But in some way that the receiver can see that it was not business as usual!

Frances

I sometimes add something to the title or the message body - ‘this is being sent as a special notice’ or whatever - to let special-notice members know why they’re suddenly getting email from the group. I agree that it would be handy to have an automatic marker of some kind.

On Jun 7, 2018, at 4:48 PM, Frances <@Frances> wrote:

[...]

Linda

Hi Folks,
When I send a special notice, I add #specialnotice to the subject. Though it's true that any replies to the message maintain the hash tag in the subject, the replies are treated just like ordinary messages by the system.

In the activity log, only the initial message is indicated as having been actually sent as such - "special message #...". Replies do not have that notation, even if the subject hash tag is maintained and shown in the log.

Linda

Frances,

I think it would be useful if the hashtag was added automatically when
you tick the Special Notice box.
Thinking about the comments that followed, how about adding a tag, like the group tag, rather than a hashtag. Something like:

Subject: [grouptag][special] Emergency meeting tonight at 7pm

I think this would achieve your purpose while avoiding all the semantic confusion that came up with the hashtag idea.

The only downside I see is that it can't be followed (or muted), as a hashtag could.

Shal

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 12:27 AM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:
Frances,

> I think it would be useful if the hashtag was added automatically when
> you tick the Special Notice box.

Thinking about the comments that followed, how about adding a tag, like the group tag, rather than a hashtag. Something like:

I think this would achieve your purpose while avoiding all the semantic confusion that came up with the hashtag idea.

The only downside I see is that it can't be followed (or muted), as a hashtag could.

Another option would be to put something in the footer (which I know, I just worked to shorten.....).

I could change:

Groups.io Links: This is a special message.

Or something like that.

I think the Subject line would be a better place for a notice on this.  Folks that aren't expecting anything from the group might not be willing to open it to see the footer.

Duane

I don’t think the intended audience would notice that change in the footer. 🤐