moderated Spam messages from "Aleksandr via group." #misc


Robert Oshel
 

My co-moderator of the WPCA group and I have been receiving numerous spam messages in Russian from "Aleksandr via group." with email addresses from "info@...", "info@...", "info@...", and similar addresses.  I don't know if anything can be done about this, especially if Aleksandr's addresses are spoofed, but I want to report it.

Please excuse me if this isn't the correct group to report this.

  Robert Oshel


 

Hello,

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 12:21 PM Robert Oshel <robert.oshel@...> wrote:
My co-moderator of the WPCA group and I have been receiving numerous spam messages in Russian from "Aleksandr via group." with email addresses from "info=b2b-utc.ru@groups.io", "info=s2.b2b-utc.ru@groups.io", "info=s9.b2b-utc.ru@groups.io", and similar addresses.  I don't know if anything can be done about this, especially if Aleksandr's addresses are spoofed, but I want to report it.

As a reminder, you can set your subscription so that you only receive emails sent to the +owner address from members of your group.

That said, we're now dropping all messages sent from non-members with .ru domains to +owner addresses.

Thanks,
Mark 


Andy
 

re: "That said, we're now dropping all messages sent from non-members with .ru domains to +owner addresses."

Although I understand the desire to cut down on unwanted junk, that seems discriminatory.  Russia is a populous country and I'm sure there are people there who are not 'bad actors'.  (I may be somewhat biased, as I co-moderate a group with a rather international subscriber base so I have had to think more cosmopolitan.)

Andy


Robert Oshel
 

Mark,

Thank you for blocking all messages sent from non-members with .ru domains to +owner addresses. 

In response to Andy's comment, maybe allowing them could be made an option for each group, but even in the absence of doing that, blocking the +owner mail from .ru seems greatly beneficial on balance.  My co-moderator and I really appreciate it!

   Bob


On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 7:45 AM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hello,

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 12:21 PM Robert Oshel <robert.oshel@...> wrote:
My co-moderator of the WPCA group and I have been receiving numerous spam messages in Russian from "Aleksandr via group." with email addresses from "info=b2b-utc.ru@groups.io", "info=s2.b2b-utc.ru@groups.io", "info=s9.b2b-utc.ru@groups.io", and similar addresses.  I don't know if anything can be done about this, especially if Aleksandr's addresses are spoofed, but I want to report it.

As a reminder, you can set your subscription so that you only receive emails sent to the +owner address from members of your group.

That said, we're now dropping all messages sent from non-members with .ru domains to +owner addresses.

Thanks,
Mark 


Dave Sergeant
 

It depends what you mean by 'messages'. All the groups I mange only
members can reply to posts. But when somebody wishes to join they are
requested to email the owner to give some details so we can decide
whether to approve their membership. My amateur radio groups are
international and I can certainly expect members with .ru addresses. If
those replies during the joining process are blocked they will never be
able to join!

Dave

On 27 Jul 2021 at 5:26, Andy wrote:

re: "That said, we're now dropping all messages sent from non-members
with .ru domains to +owner addresses."

Although I understand the desire to cut down on unwanted junk, that
seems discriminatory.  Russia is a populous country and I'm sure there
are people there who are not 'bad actors'.  (I may be somewhat biased,
as I co-moderate a group with a rather international subscriber base so
I have had to think more cosmopolitan.)

Andy

http://davesergeant.com


Andy
 

Dave,

Mark's message says that all messages to your "+owner" address from Russian (.ru) addresses will now be blocked.  He wasn't talking about messages sent to the regular group address.

It looks like you will need to devise another method for group sign-ups.  Or convince Mark to change his mind.  Or kiss many Russian hams goodbye.

Andy


 


>>> Mark's message says that all messages to your "+owner" address from Russian (.ru) addresses will now be blocked.

Not quite; Mark's message said from non-members, not from everyone from that domain.


>>> If those replies during the joining process are blocked they will never be able to join!

I could be wrong on this, but it seems the moment one clicks on "Join" the system treats them as "members" right-away albeit not yet approved (provided of course "Restricted Membership" is ON).  This is why even if they haven't been approved yet, they can still set their group subscription message delivery options, I mean they are landed in that group subscription page after all, to me that means they are "members" but not yet fully capable (i.e. approved) of "accessing" all group functionality.  So it seems to me their messages wouldn't be subject to this new restriction.

I guess Mark would have to clarify what happens in this special case.

Cheers,
Christos


 


>>> I could be wrong on this, but it seems the moment one clicks on "Join" the system treats them as "members" right-away  ...  it seems to me their messages wouldn't be subject to this new restriction.


Another clue that points to this taking place is even if the admin sets their +owner email option to "members only" they still get the reply to the pending notice sent from the applicant.

Cheers,
Christos


Robert Oshel
 

I've received two more of Aleksandr's spam messages in Russian.  Maybe the following will help.
Gmail shows:
from:Aleksandr via groups.io <info=s7.refresto.ru@groups.io>                [note the number after the info=s varies in different messages]
reply-to:info@...                                 
to:wpca+owner@wpca.groups.io
date:Jul 27, 2021, 1:34 PM
subject:[WPCA] Предложение
mailed-by:groups.io
signed-by:groups.io
security: Standard encryption (TLS) Learn more

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 12:03 PM Robert Oshel <robert.oshel@...> wrote:
Mark,

Thank you for blocking all messages sent from non-members with .ru domains to +owner addresses. 

In response to Andy's comment, maybe allowing them could be made an option for each group, but even in the absence of doing that, blocking the +owner mail from .ru seems greatly beneficial on balance.  My co-moderator and I really appreciate it!

   Bob

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 7:45 AM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hello,

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 12:21 PM Robert Oshel <robert.oshel@...> wrote:
My co-moderator of the WPCA group and I have been receiving numerous spam messages in Russian from "Aleksandr via group." with email addresses from "info=b2b-utc.ru@groups.io", "info=s2.b2b-utc.ru@groups.io", "info=s9.b2b-utc.ru@groups.io", and similar addresses.  I don't know if anything can be done about this, especially if Aleksandr's addresses are spoofed, but I want to report it.

As a reminder, you can set your subscription so that you only receive emails sent to the +owner address from members of your group.

That said, we're now dropping all messages sent from non-members with .ru domains to +owner addresses.

Thanks,
Mark 


 

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 02:45 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

we're now dropping all messages sent from non-members with .ru domains
to +owner addresses.
On my Russian-language group with restricted membership most messages to +owner from prospective members is with .ru domains. I need those messages. It's the first step of subsription instructions on my personal webpage: to email +owner, next step is to email +subscribe. Most prospective members don't understand English and cannot navigate the groups.io website to request subscription via web.

Please make this filter optional in Settings. Default drop is okay, but I need a toggle to turn it off.


 

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 11:56 AM Lena <Lena@...> wrote:

On my Russian-language group with restricted membership most messages to +owner from prospective members is with .ru domains. I need those messages. It's the first step of subsription instructions on my personal webpage: to email +owner, next step is to email +subscribe. Most prospective members don't understand English and cannot navigate the groups.io website to request subscription via web.

I'm testing to see if greylisting would be a better way to handle this. I'll post again when I have some data.

Thanks,
Mark