Topics

Some Message Formatting settings mutually exclusive #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

Some of the settings in the Message Formatting block are mutually exclusive. For example, you can check the box for "Force HTML Emails" and also check the box for "Plain Text Only," and save your settings without any error message. In such a case it is which setting takes precedence is unclear.

I suggest something like the following (using three radio buttons and a checkbox)...

Select One:
( * ) Force HTML Emails
(   ) Plain Text Only
(   ) Outgoing Email format unchanged from incoming

[ ./ ] Normalize HTML Emails (this checkbox entry greyed out or absent if Plain Text Only is selected)

Others may have a better solution, but I hope this gets the point across.

Thanks for your consideration,
Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 01:39 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:

[ ./ ] Normalize HTML Emails (this checkbox entry greyed out or absent if Plain Text Only is selected)
We've had previous discussions about options being greyed out or not visible when they don't apply and I thought the consensus was to have them greyed out so at least you know they exist.

Andy

Bruce,

( * ) Force HTML Emails
( ) Plain Text Only
Having these two both checked is actually a useful configuration, and I've advised group mods to set them both in the past.

The context is a group that wants the members' content to be stripped of all formatting (not just normalized), but also wants the formatted links in the message footer.

I believe the details are that the text/plain mime part of the incoming message is used (or a conversion from the text/HTML if no text/plain part), and then the outgoing message is formatted with both text/plain and text/HTML, containing unformatted message body but in the text/HTML a formatted footer instead of a plain text one.

Shal

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 11:00 PM, Shal Farley wrote:

( * ) Force HTML Emails
( ) Plain Text Only
Having these two both checked is actually a useful configuration, and I've advised group mods to set them both in the past.

The context is a group that wants the members' content to be stripped of all formatting (not just normalized), but also wants the formatted links in the message footer.

I believe the details are that the text/plain mime part of the incoming message is used (or a conversion from the text/HTML if no text/plain part), and then the outgoing message is formatted with both text/plain and text/HTML, containing unformatted message body but in the text/HTML a formatted footer instead of a plain text one.
The Owners' Manual states that the plan text option affects the footers as well so if it works as you describe (I have not tested it) then I would say that is an anomaly (or a bug if you prefer).

Regards
Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 06:00 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
Having these two both checked is actually a useful configuration, and I've advised group mods to set them both in the past.

The context is a group that wants the members' content to be stripped of all formatting (not just normalized), but also wants the formatted links in the message footer.
That's not what the docs say:

Plain Text Only

Select this checkbox to convert HTML-formatted messages that are emailed to the group to plain text format. This setting affects the format of message footers as well.

I believe the details are that the text/plain mime part of the incoming message is used (or a conversion from the text/HTML if no text/plain part), and then the outgoing message is formatted with both text/plain and text/HTML, containing unformatted message body but in the text/HTML a formatted footer instead of a plain text one.
I'm not seeing this in my test group. With both checked, I get a plain text message with a plain text footer...no html to be found.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce Bowman

More follow-up...

If I choose to put the footer in a separate mime part (along with checking both checkboxes), I still get the plain-text footer per the "Plain Text Only" setting. But if I send an html email to the group, the message body itself comes through intact as html (along with plain text, in separate mime parts).

Even more bizarre, the online message editor only provides plain-text...there is no option to send an html message via the web interface.

This is all counter-intuitive to me, and I'm inclined to relabel my #suggestion as a #bug.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce,

I'm not seeing this in my test group. With both checked, I get a plain
text message with a plain text footer...no html to be found.
My own test confirms your results.

I could swear I had tested this combination in the past, but maybe I confused myself. Or maybe it has changed and I didn't notice or don't remember.

Given that result I agree that making it a set of radio buttons would be clearer. I'll side with Andy in favor of graying out the Normalize checkbox if Plain Text is selected, rather than hiding it.

Shal