Topics

Solving the overload issue (Selecting specific messages into two batches - Individual email vs. Full featured digest delivery) #suggestion

Homayon Reinhardt Chaudhry

[Mod note: One way to solve this is to put everyone on digest and then for really important messages, send them out as special notices. I approved this message as a start to a discussion as to whether other means for more easily segmenting messages are needed and what those might look like.]

Dear all

Our medical group (460 members) sees a vivid exchange of mails in German, French and Italian, so thanks to the groups.io team for that really great service!

Unfortunately again and again members leave because they feel flooded by a part of those mails containing rather little information - while other msg's are very valuable - especially in the times of this global Covid-19- pandemic. But opening their mail box they get annoyed. 

Now you could say those members should choose themselves, if they want a full featured digest or individual email delivery, but try to explain that to some 460 mailing list dummies (European doctors with an average age of 55+).

So are group is loosing many members, they feel flooded with useless mails. That shouldn't be.

Possible solution: It would be great to be able not only to select members into different groups, but also incoming messages - eg. two classes

1. The messages which contain "important medical information" which should then be delivered instantly to all members and...

2. a second batch putting together all the "Hi there", "Thank you" and other casual personal content stuff, which then doesn't have to be deleted. Some members feel deleting their first post to the group as censorship and as a protest they would leave again.

3. As a consequence all that random stuff, selected by the moderation team, could be sent at the end of the day to the group in a full featured digest.

It would be great, if you could look into a technical mailing list solution to this rather psychological, all too human problem. Probably any bigger mailing list will sooner or later run into that issue.

Thx again for considering the problem and keep up the excellent work

Homayon

Thx for approving. The problem of special notices and all members on digest:
1. Also those who explicitely wanted to be only on digest will receive extra messages ( special notices) and hence feel „ flooded“
2. The term „special notice“ implies certain messages are *special* (while the rest is just ordinary). Again list members not getting the special privilege will feel discriminated and start to ask themselves: why my msg hasn‘t got the *special notice* tag?

Sorry for insisting, but thats unfortunately the way peoples mind works. 
Its a problem, when the message traffic is high and a kind of inconspicuous ‚triage’ becomes a necessity, in order not to loose list members.
Regards
Homayon

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 12:09 PM, Homayon Reinhardt Chaudhry wrote:
Now you could say those members should choose themselves, if they want a full featured digest or individual email delivery, but try to explain that to some 460 mailing list dummies (European doctors with an average age of 55+).

You could go into the members’s list, select all (may need to be just a page at a time) and change their delivery to one of the digest modes.  Daily summary is good as it gives you an idea of how active a topic is but might not be timely enough for your situation.  Not exactly what you are asking but might help. 

Stay well in this difficult time. 

Patti

Thank you Patti, I’ll do as you advise – groups.io is great help, especially in these times. Stay safe and healthy as well.

Homayon

Von: main@beta.groups.io [mailto:main@beta.groups.io] Im Auftrag von Patti Woodbury
Gesendet: Freitag, 20. März 2020 18:13
An: main@beta.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [beta] Solving the overload issue (Selecting specific messages into two batches - Individual email vs. Full featured digest delivery) #suggestion

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 12:09 PM, Homayon Reinhardt Chaudhry wrote:

You could go into the members’s list, select all (may need to be just a page at a time) and change their delivery to one of the digest modes.  Daily summary is good as it gives you an idea of how active a topic is but might not be timely enough for your situation.  Not exactly what you are asking but might help. 

Stay well in this difficult time. 

Patti

ro-esp

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 08:09 PM, Homayon Reinhardt Chaudhry wrote:

Dear all

Our medical group
Unfortunately again and again members leave because they feel flooded by a
part of those mails containing rather little information
I'm not sure why you think there should be a technical solution, nor even whether one is possible. The way I do it is by insisting on netiquette ( unfortunately http://www.learn.to/quote doesn't work anymore), and by clearly stating in the group-description that "me too"-messages, "thank you"-messages and seasonal greetings are not allowed.

groetjes, Ronaldo

Hi Ronaldo
Insisting on netiquette didn't work. They stumbled already over this unknown English term 'Netiquette'. "Nétiquette - c'est quoi là, de la censure? Je m'en fous..."
Segmenting messages into different batches and assign those to different ways of delivery would be a "solution possible".
But we can wait in these days, it's not urgent. Let's concentrate on really important issues. When the whole pandemic is hopefully over, lets look into it again. Until then we use the method recommended by Patti and you people stay all well.
Ciao
Homayon

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: main@beta.groups.io [mailto:main@beta.groups.io] Im Auftrag von ro-esp
Gesendet: Samstag, 21. März 2020 00:29
An: main@beta.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [beta] Solving the overload issue (Selecting specific messages into two batches - Individual email vs. Full featured digest delivery) #suggestion

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 08:09 PM, Homayon Reinhardt Chaudhry wrote:

Dear all

Our medical group
Unfortunately again and again members leave because they feel flooded
by a part of those mails containing rather little information
I'm not sure why you think there should be a technical solution, nor even whether one is possible. The way I do it is by insisting on netiquette ( unfortunately http://www.learn.to/quote doesn't work anymore), and by clearly stating in the group-description that "me too"-messages, "thank you"-messages and seasonal greetings are not allowed.

groetjes, Ronaldo

Homayon,

My responses below should not be taken as a disagreement with your suggestion, rather they are advice on what you can do with the system today. There are multiple approaches, but discussion of existing features is really off topic for beta, so I invite you to ask in GMF if you want more detail.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Unfortunately again and again members leave because they feel flooded
by a part of those mails containing rather little information - while
other msg's are very valuable
This has been an issue in one of my groups, GMF, as well. My general recommendation is that members feeling flooded should check out the Advanced Preferences section of their Subscription page on the group.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Help-Mock-up#Advanced-Preferences

So are group is loosing many members, they feel flooded with useless
mails. That shouldn't be.
I've added advice about the use of Advanced Preferences to GMF's Goodbye member notice, inviting them to rejoin if they wish, or simply monitor the group's messages on the web without joining (GMF has public messages).

1. The messages which contain "important medical information" which
should then be delivered instantly to all members and...
I agree with the moderator that using Special Notices seems like a good fit for this use case.

Another would be the use of a subgroup, with the primary group reserved for important moderator posts only (Announcement-Only Group). But that is a Premium feature so may not work for you.

Now you could say those members should choose themselves, if they want
a full featured digest or individual email delivery, but try to
explain that to some 460 mailing list dummies ...
You can use the Default Sub Settings tab in your group's Settings page to make the default subscription Email Delivery be digest or daily summary. That won't change any existing members, but new members would start out the setting you choose. You could also choose for them a Message Selection option other than "All Messages".

Shal