moderated Signatures for Web Posting suddenly not working on multiple groups

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Anita,

Go ahead, but my experimentation indicates that it does not.  While the paste maintains the font visually, and it even sticks perpetually as presented in your signature box, when it gets put on a web post it goes through a "nearest match" translation to one of the fonts that's officially supported on Groups.io, which is not surprising.  This is very standard operating procedure since most web based interfaces don't and can't support the plethora of fonts that exist out there.

I did some first person testing with this on a testing group I'm a member of, but it's worth a try once elsewhere to see if I might have screwed something up in the test, but I don't think so.

Brian, upsizing because I presume you're visually impaired based on your earlier comment regarding the default of Helvetica 14-point being difficult to read.  I used a serifed font, too, because they're generally easier to read based upon actual reading research.

Anita L

Brian thanks. I am going to use my signature with my email place. It is easier since I don't type from the home page or send any thing. I do every thing from my email.

I also have tags with my names on that I like to use more.

Anita

-------Original Message-------

Date: 1/8/2017 3:37:08 PM
Subject: Re: [beta] Signatures for Web Posting suddenly not working on multiple groups

Anita,

Go ahead, but my experimentation indicates that it does not.  While the paste maintains the font visually, and it even sticks perpetually as presented in your signature box, when it gets put on a web post it goes through a "nearest match" translation to one of the fonts that's officially supported on Groups.io, which is not surprising.  This is very standard operating procedure since most web based interfaces don't and can't support the plethora of fonts that exist out there.

I did some first person testing with this on a testing group I'm a member of, but it's worth a try once elsewhere to see if I might have screwed something up in the test, but I don't think so.

Brian, upsizing because I presume you're visually impaired based on your earlier comment regarding the default of Helvetica 14-point being difficult to read.  I used a serifed font, too, because they're generally easier to read based upon actual reading research.

I can understand and sympathize if someone can't read "tiny" font.  But a truly ginormous font comes off to me as yelling. 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu

Ro

perhaps you are oversensitive to ginormousicism?

Ro

with Silk dropping ginormous poops, and Sally, Handy, Feliz &  Police Kitty patrolling in a font free Great Beyond.

From: beta@groups.io <beta@groups.io> on behalf of J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 8, 2017 1:05 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Signatures for Web Posting suddenly not working on multiple groups

I can understand and sympathize if someone can't read "tiny" font.  But a truly ginormous font comes off to me as yelling. 
--
J

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 01:05 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
But a truly ginormous font comes off to me as yelling. 

I can tell you, without any danger of exaggeration, that "Ginormous is in the eye of the beholder."

ALL CAPS have long been the internet convention for yelling.  I even allow room for that for specific individuals who've identified that they're not being used that way, but are much easier for them to read when composing.

I have some pretty intense likes and dislikes, too.  What I try to do now is to balance anything that deals with my likes or dislikes against the legitimate needs of someone else even if that means putting up with something I intensely dislike.

Brian 

P.S.:  I hasten to add that I am not saying that you don't do this, too, J_Catlady.   At the same time I also know that most sighted people, including myself, are really not clued in on a constant "I've got this in my gut" level with what the visually-impaired have to deal with in trying to access what is primarily a visual medium.

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 01:55 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:
P.S.:  I hasten to add that I am not saying that you don't do this, too, J_Catlady.   At the same time I also know that most sighted people, including myself, are really not clued in on a constant "I've got this in my gut" level with what the visually-impaired have to deal with in trying to access what is primarily a visual medium.

Brian, I am trying to find the thread of which this message is a part, but whenever I click on "show entire thread," It does not show up for me. Maybe this is the same issue I emailed you about a couple of days ago. I am not seeing complete threads onlist. I need to log out and clear my cache. I am now missing entire pieces of multiple threads. Anyway, maybe this gives me an excuse because I don't even know what you're accusing me of LOL 
--
J

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 01:16 pm, Ro wrote:
perhaps you are oversensitive to ginormousicism?

Evidently so! But it came out in regular font when I copy-pasted! I don't understand this whole thing. ;) 
--
J

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 02:27 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
Anyway, maybe this gives me an excuse because I don't even know what you're accusing me of LOL 

I made a response to your ginormous=yelling post, the close of which could have been incorrectly read ad a back-handed attempt to say you're a heartless b*tch.  It was not intended to be such, and I wanted to correct that promptly.

I will send you a copy/paste of the original via private message, so you have context.   I still suspect you have some sort of browser cache corruption going on since this is now a recurring issue for you.  On a note related to that, I find CCleaner free (available at piriform.com) to be a much easier way to do browser cache cleanup than any of the various browsers' own built-in techniques.  You do need to be careful when you first run it to look at the settings so that you don't "clean" certain things you'd rather still have, but these are mostly not browser related.  After that it's a cinch to clean the browser cache, and a lot of other junk, from every browser you have and your computer itself in one click.

Brian

Maria

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 02:27 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
I am not seeing complete threads onlist.

Out of curiosity, is your viewing preference set to infinite scroll?

Maria

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 02:53 pm, HR Tech wrote:
is your viewing preference set to infinite scroll?

Yes, it is and I'm almost certain that's what's not working. Can anyone else try this? Go to a message in a long thread, click on "show entire thread" (or however it's worded), and see if you get everything? I'm now missing seeing most of almost all the threads in my own group, and have to resort to going through messages one-by-one to respond to people. I may report as a bug. 
--
J

Thanks, Brian, I appreciate that. I don't know if it's my cache but that is such a PITA to clear...I think the issue is something else but I will try to do it anyway.

--
J

Maria

Right. I think it's a bug. If you switch to viewing 100 messages - you will see the whole thread.

It's an infinite scroll issue that I don't recall seeing before.

I noticed same thing today.

Maria

Thanks. Hoping Mark sees it here, but I will send a bug report to support just in case.I've seen it for at least a week now, but only notice it when I'm looking through a longish thread.
J

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 3:45 PM, HR Tech via Groups.Io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

Right. I think it's a bug. If you switch to viewing 100 messages - you will see the whole thread.

Maria

--
J

Hi All,

The signature bugs should be fixed now. And the infinite scroll issue in the Topic view has also been fixed.

Here to fix bugs and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Mark

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 3:47 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Thanks. Hoping Mark sees it here, but I will send a bug report to support just in case.I've seen it for at least a week now, but only notice it when I'm looking through a longish thread.
J

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 3:45 PM, HR Tech via Groups.Io <m.conway11=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Maria

--
J