moderated Several FILES improvements #suggestion

KWKloeber

Re FILES, have suggestions/requestions that:

  1. The group's main page shows the FILES permissions (e.g., Members can view and upload files, etc., etc.)  A member thinks he should be able to upload a file but cannot (the group must be locked except to MODs only.).
  2. Have the pull-down list on the NEW button reflect the FlLES permissions (e.g., don't show a choice to Upload file if members don't have that permission.)
  3. The ability for a MOD to lock folders (I use a folder specifically for Wki files and would like to lock it.)
  4. The ability to choose who can edit a file (e.g., MODs, original member, any member, etc.)
  5. Another admin setting - permissions for non-members (ie, public) to View (not edit) FILES (and PHOTOS too.)  It's a PITA to share the info w/ a member of a sister forum that has common interests.  (i.e., it would be helpful to be able to share a permalink so a non-member can view a photo or a file.)  Example - I want to show another widget aficionado (on the Widgets-R-Us Forum) how I repaired my broken antique widget.  Can't -- no easy way to view a photo or file.  Must download and email them or repost them on that forum or io group.  Seems archaic.
  6. Most important, thx and have a great week Mark

Bob Bellizzi

That's exactly what I use Dropbox links in the Files section for; I can allow or disallow editing by others,
In addition, any file type viewable in dropbox is ipso facto, viewable in my gio file system.
Why duplicate the code when there are compatible systems you can team with gio efficiently?
--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers

KWKloeber

Bob

why?
because:
1. there’s legacy Yahchoo! and other files that would need to be hosted elsewhere.
2. every member uploading a file or photo would need to have (and understand and use) a cloud host (Dropbox, etc.) for files/photos they upload.
3. Its a lot easier and a valuable function. It’s not our wheelhouse to coach Mark on what’s proper or not proper or difficult to code.  He’s stated that before.
3. Why have email forwarding of posted messages - we could just forward them to a group contact list. No need to have code that does that.

ken

Chris Jones

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 07:04 PM, KWKloeber wrote:
The group's main page shows the FILES permissions (e.g., Members can view and upload files, etc., etc.)
I think some clarification is called for. You said "main page"; did you mean Home Page? I ask because I cannot find any group where that particular bit of information is provided on the Home Page; as written the only place I know of (memory failures excepted!) where that wording appears is on the Settings page, which is not available to non - moderators.

A member thinks he should be able to upload a file but cannot (the group must be locked except to MODs only.).

Your conclusion may be incorrect; it may be that the group in question has reached the limit of its storage allowance in which case further uploads are not allowed. If the member concerned looks at the Files and Photos sections front pages he will find figures for how much space has been used by each category. (The information is also available elsewhere but only to moderators with the correct permissions.)

Chris

KWKloeber

Chris

thx for the RFQ.  Home Main Page LOL.  To wit:

You’re right Chris, I could have been misinterpreting it (but I just checked and wasn’t - whew. (There’s a little over 1MB used between files/photos/attachments.)  I would hope if storage is exceeded there would be a warning dialog or the NEW pull-down would show a message like “Hey member go get your group owner to ante up and move to the next plan.”
Or the upload option should be grayed-out or some warning indication provided.

So, if that’s not the case, add that to the #Suggestion.

There could be a downside I’m not thinking of, but it would seem that having a summary of the storage available/current allocation would also be helpful to display on the Home Page, rather than needing to look in multiple locations for it?  There could also be a warning there for exceeded, or percent, etc
Note, the group has used 99% of its 1GB storage allocation.”

Chris Jones

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 12:21 AM, KWKloeber wrote:
I could have been misinterpreting it (but I just checked and wasn’t - whew.
Sorry; I don't know what you mean by that.

Chris

KWKloeber

Chris:

I said:
"I could have been misinterpreting it (but I just checked and wasn’t - whew."
After your suggestion that it might be over limit (not locked by MOD)  I checked and it wasn't -- as I said just over 1MB storage was used.

-ken

Chris Jones

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 04:25 AM, KWKloeber wrote:
After your suggestion that it might be over limit (not locked by MOD)  I checked and it wasn't -- as I said just over 1MB storage was used.
Ah... thanks for that.

You didn't comment on my earlier I think some clarification is called for. You said "main page"; did you mean Home Page? I ask because I cannot find any group where that particular bit of information is provided on the Home Page...

It crossed my mind that you might have been interpreting All members can post to the Group as including "members can upload File & Photos", which it doesn't

Have you been able to check whether the group in question really does allow members to upload files and photos?

Chris

KWKloeber

Chris

You said:

You didn't comment on my earlier [re main page]

Yes I did, you might have missed it.

You said:
It crossed my mind that you might have been interpreting All members can post to the Group as including "members can upload File & Photos", which it doesn't

Nope, I intentionally kept the discussion centered on uploading permissions, not posting permissions.

You said:
Have you been able to check whether the group in question really does allow members to upload files and photos?

Trying to.  It’s a sailing group of specific boat owners.
The owner sold her boat so the group is sort of on autopilot.  I did make contact but haven’t gotten an answer yet ( I think her group email is rarely checked.) But we will eventually work our way to the bottom of the hole.
Regardless of that outcome, the #Suggestion are still valid as the notifications, warnings, etc that I highlighted up are not there and would be nice for both members and owners/mods to have.

-K