Topics

setting to moderate every thread a member starts #suggestion

I also want to moderate threads for any cat in extremely critical condition, and with one of the subcategories of disease, etc.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 11:35 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 11:10 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
This kind of comment is exactly why I did not want to get into the specific application
I'm sorry. I tend to get exasperated when people don't understand me after I've failed to explain myself. ;)

The idea is that either the member or the mod applies the hashtag at some point, thus *eliminating* the need to moderate on a per-message basis and/or add it later. In our group, we deal with one main disease that has subdiagnoses. We know a priori when a member joins which their cat has (or the cat may be diagnosed with it later). We would apply the hashtag to the member immediately upon joining, or when their cat's diagnosis becomes known.

I've started a separate thread about this, since it's a different feature on its own.

Walter Underwood

Hmm, I think it has to do with trying to solve bad human behavior with technological blocks. Myself, I’d work with the person. Calling them on the phone has worked for me.

I think specific examples, with redactions of course, would be extremely helpful in understanding this problem. So far, I’ve seen solutions without an understandable problem.

I’m not just shooting in the dark here. I have a disabled child with no diagnosis and I managed discussion groups with 5000 opinionated engineers at Hewlett-Packard.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@...
http://observer.wunderwood.org/  (my blog)

On Sep 3, 2018, at 10:28 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I understood you the first time. And again, it's not a matter of not playing nice. It has to do with the particular situation of the group member and their cat.

Again: our cats have diagnoses already. None of this has to do with diagnosing them or managing behavior.

And I’m sure my request is both easy to implement and useful, should Mark decide to do it.

I really was trying to avoid all this detailed discussion or justification, because without belonging to the group itself, it’s difficult to understand the issue  or how my request, if implemented, would mitigate it.

And again: groups.io has successfully automated many group management duties  already, thereby relieving moderators of lots of manual labor. There’s no reason for it not to continue doing that.

I don’t think I will continue to try to bat down further objections to the feature. Mark will, as always, make his own decision.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 02:03 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:
Myself, I’d work with the person.
I will try one more time: This has nothing to do with managing a specific person or persons, except in a few cases. This has more to do with managing threads on specifically sensitive topics, which certain people in the group, because of their specific cats' diseases, will post about. It's about moderating the advice and/or warnings posted to people whose cats are in critical (or otherwise sensitive) situations. Being able to add a hashtag to the member with cats in these situations will solve the problem just as well, and I think will also be useful in other groups, not just groups with sick cats. I've already started another thread about that so I will stop posting in this one.

Walter Underwood

Obviously, it is about managing specific people at specific times. But you won’t explain, so I don’t see how we can help.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 03:19 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:
But you won’t explain, so I don’t see how we can help.
I think I HAVE explained, and I'm not asking for your help. :) I'm asking Mark for a feature.
Have a great rest of your Labor Day. :)

Walter Underwood

With a clear example of the problem, Mark might have a solution that you haven’t thought of.
Mark has seen many more problems than any of us. He’s been doing this for decades.

I’ve maintained conferencing software and I’m active with Solr open source search. We commonly
see requests with an “X/Y problem”, where people have problem X and are asking about
solution Y without explaining the problem. Often, there is already a solution or even a feature
for problem X, but they are focused on the solution they have chosen.

On Sep 3, 2018, at 3:30 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 03:19 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:
But you won’t explain, so I don’t see how we can help.
I think I HAVE explained, and I'm not asking for your help. :) I'm asking Mark for a feature.
Have a great rest of your Labor Day. :)

I've already proposed an alternative solution using hashtags. See the other thread. I think Mark will understand the use case and if he doesn't, he's free to ask me. I've explained it to you in greater detail offlist.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 3:37 PM Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:
[...]

Sorry, that was meant for someone offlist.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 3:41 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
p.s. BTW I also have decades of software design and implementation under my belt. So you can stop with the man 'splaining.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 3:39 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
[...]

KWKloeber

I understood you the first time. And again, it's not a matter of not playing nice. It has to do with the particular situation of the group member and their cat.

If you would provide situation and the issue why/how you want to moderate (since not a bad player in the group) it would shorten, not confuse the thread and responses. It can be generic, e.g., fruit diseases and farmers instead of felines and owners. ;-)

While the solutions you ask for might work, it’s also very possible there’s another approach to accomplish the root goal in a different manner - if we knew what it was.
I can’t count the times I thought I had the “best” solution, until someone else showed me that I wasn’t thinking outside the box, my head was still inside it!
There’s ........’er......  multiple methods to skin a cat.

Ken

Sent from my phone

Tony Moody

Hallo J,

If #hashtags are written out in full then the hashtag collection could take up a lot of space in the Subject: But they are clearly read and understood.

Were you thinking of a coded a hashtag?

I'm going back to being a maintenance engineer in food factories.
 a code like #PCY01 could mean a Pump, of type Centrifugal, in the Yard, number1
and  #VFS01 would be the oldest Forklift in the Store and is a Vehicle for maintenance and accounting purpose.
We used codes for physical Location and for Priorities, etc

For what purposes?
An overall asset register of interest to engineer, maintenance workshop manager, accountant, buyer, top management, and production staff.
To identify a specific piece of equipment, what it is, in broad-ish terms and where it is. Production can easily identify the asset to Engineering and Maintenance, so that it can be jobcarded and allocated to the correct team.
Accounting will easily allocate any expenses to the correct beanbag.
etc etc

Maybe a mix of both concepts (#clear and #coded) would be useful

OK,
Tony

On 3 Sep 2018 at 15:41, J_Catlady wrote about :
Subject : Re: [beta] setting to moderate ever

p.s. BTW I also have decades of software design and implementation under my belt. So you can stop with the man 'splaining.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 3:39 PM J_Catlady < j.olivia.catlady@... > wrote:
I've already proposed an alternative solution using hashtags. See the other thread. I think Mark will understand the use case and if he doesn't, he's free to ask me. I've explained it to you in greater detail offlist.
<big snip -tm>

This is irrelevant to the feature request. Do your hashtags however you want. 😀

On Sep 4, 2018, at 1:24 AM, Tony Moody <aim@...> wrote:

[...]

Ouch !!!

That was damned rude, out of line and uncalled for.

not ok,
Tony

On 4 Sep 2018 at 1:37, J_Catlady wrote about :

[...]

Apologies. I’m a bit fed up with the path this thread has taken and have little patience left with it. You were the unfortunate victim.

aim@...> wrote:

[...]

I'll rephrase. The format of hashtags obviously has nothing to do with the feature request. People would be free to use whatever kinds of hashtags they want.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 03:19 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:
Obviously, it is about managing specific people at specific times
Am just catching this now. No, it's not about managing specific people. It's about managing specific sensitive threads and the RESPONSES to those threads, which can come from anyone in the group. Certain people, because of their cats' conditions, will start such threads and I want to prevent inappropriate or dangerous advice being given to them by OTHER group members, whose identities are unknown until they respond.

Currently I have to jump in and catch such threads and moderate them before they catch fire. I know a priori which people have cats in such conditions, and being able to set them to have their threads moderated would be tremendously helpful.

The alternatives I have now are either to put those people actually on moderation, which I prefer not to do, because that does not allow them to participate freely in other threads; or, as I said, to try to jump in as quickly as I can after the thread starts to take off.

I've explained this in as much detail as I can at this point. Obviously it's up to Mark. The hashtag idea would also work, which I've started another thread about.

Walter Underwood

Offline, I suggested some keywords which would trigger moderation on a new topic. To pick a random
possibly fatal condition, if “renal failure” was mentioned when starting a new topic, it could be automatically
moderated.

This seems like it could be useful in a support group where the same questions are asked frequently
and are answered in an FAQ.

J thought that would not work for her group.

By “specific people at specific times” I meant what you describe as “I know a priori which people have
cats in such conditions”. That you know ahead of time is new information in this thread and seems
useful for designing a solution.

On Sep 4, 2018, at 9:26 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave Wade

J,

Whilst I think there is mileage in being able to moderate specific threads or hashtags, I think that once folks catch on you will find you end up moderating people.

When folks figure out their replies are moderated they will simply create new threads or change the subject in a different thread to get their urgent replies through.

Well they will see them as urgent, they will believe they are right, they will say so when they find you are censoring them.

Having worked in IT for years I will say that folks will put a lot of work into by-passing any rules, even if they effort in by-passing the rules is much more than simply obeying.

Dave

[...]

I thought the keyword idea was a little pie-in-the-sky and impractical. People might be asking about "large cell lymphoma" in general (to use an example more in line with my group) and not have a cat with it. We have threads all the time with people asking the difference between large and small cell. I want to moderate a lot of the threads with people who have cats with large cell and are circling the drain. I don't want to moderate every thread that mentions the disease. This would totally not work for us, even if it were practical and easy to implement (which I think is questionable).

The rest of this is semantics. I don't want to manage the "specific person" who starts the thread. I want to manage the responses to the thread, and the responders are unknown until they respond.

I think this might have usefulness in other groups, as well. It's like having a partially moderated group: conversations about certain issues are automatically moderated through knowledge of which individuals, by virtue of their specific situations, will be posting about them. The topics might be especially sensitive for some reason, or particularly inflammatory, or they might be dangerous if inappropriate replies are posted (as in our group). I'm sure there are lots of applications.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 09:41 AM, Dave Wade wrote:
When folks figure out their replies are moderated they will simply create new threads or change the subject in a different thread to get their urgent replies through.
I disagree. That will not happen in our group. How do I know this? Because I ALREADY moderate such threads and it doesn't happen. The only difference is that I now have to do it by hand.

The "having worked in IT for years" argument also holds no sway with me - although, as I posted before re the Freakonomics Radio story, human nature does make people find a way around rules. This is not about IT.