moderated Searching on replies #suggestion

Linda Kilcrease

I know that the hashtag is in the Topic heading, and the heading is what binds the topic with all its replies.  In order to search on related Replies, I am suggesting a new search field on the Reply form which lists the available search words to select.

Our work around now is the following, but it does not guarantee consistency.  We are typing a searchable word at the start of a Reply body that could work well as there is only 1 or 2 people editing this particular io database.  These people post a Question (topic) and Answer (replies) pasting in information from various meeting minutes documents.  The search word could identify the meeting by name and/or by location.  And members have read-only access. We have a sticky Topic that lists the searchable words that organize Replies, and there would only be a few.

But this would not really work well if there were multiple random authors.  And I think it would be a really good feature to have - to add a search field to the Reply form.

Linda Kilcrease

[Mod note: Added a subject]

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 03:26 PM, Linda Kilcrease wrote:
I think it would be a really good feature to have - to add a search field to the Reply form.
I've read the initial topic for this on GMF and I'm puzzled by what you mean when you say 'reply form'.  If you mean when someone replies to a message, the have some additional fields to fill in that would then be searchable, how would this be achieved in the various different email clients that people use?

Regards
Andy

On 2022-06-27 11:44, Andy Wedge via groups.io wrote:
On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 03:26 PM, Linda Kilcrease wrote:
I think it would be a really good feature to have - to add a search field to the Reply form.
I've read the initial topic for this on GMF and I'm puzzled by what you mean when you say 'reply form'.  If you mean when someone replies to a message, the have some additional fields to fill in that would then be searchable, how would this be achieved in the various different email clients that people use?
_._,_._,_

The way I interpreted this is it would be an online-only feature, an extra field (with a blank default) in the NewTopic screen that would act like message "keyword tagging" for the individual message, so -if filled- it is also included in the message search.

Technically it could be also be implemented for email replies by using some special element tag in the message body which would be searched for, kind of like what happens now with the +1 replies, for example something like <keywords=123,northeast-region,sales,etc> or some similar unique/special format but it may get messy.

If you think about it, it would be similar to enabling individual messages within the same topic have optional extra hashtags, that would also accomplish what Linda is trying to achieve (I think).

Cheers,
Christos

Linda Kilcrease

Andy, I'm looking for the developers of the Groups.io to advise a solution to the concept I've suggested.  They know how the hashtag selection list works.  We also know the Reply heading matches to Topic heading.  I am looking for a solution.  If not a field, a heading addition (Reply hashtag appended)?

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 09:17 PM, Christos Psarras wrote:
it would be an online-only feature
Then it would not provide consistency which was one of the concerns raised. Any solution to achieve the desired result must support email responses in order to do that.

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 10:08 PM, Linda Kilcrease wrote:
I am looking for a solution.  If not a field, a heading addition (Reply hashtag appended)?
As was mentioned on GMF, a hashtag is a topic property. Making a system change so that a reply (from any source) could add a hashtag would seem to be a lot of effort when you say that very few people would make use of it.  If the majority of your members only have read access then I don't see why you don't make the few that can/do respond moderators for your group (with relevant permissions) and that way they can update the topic properties and add a hashtag anyway.  Your members can then use the existing search features like everyone else.

Regards
Andy

Linda Kilcrease

My example was a simple use.  I ended with, "And I think it would be a really good feature to have - to add a search field to the Reply."   The point is to make the Replies within a Topic have something (acting like a hashtag or blank field) that would be searchable to group together replies with the same value.

Linda Kilcrease

Why can't I edit my reply?  Is that intentional?

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 06:10 PM, Linda Kilcrease wrote:
Why can't I edit my reply?  Is that intentional?
Editing is disabled in this group (as well as many others) because of the problems it causes. Not sure whether that was your question.

It seems to me, although it's a bit hard to understand, that what you're really asking for in the original request is to be able to attach the equivalent of a hashtag to individual reply messages as opposed to the entire topic, which is the way it works now. I doubt that's going to come under consideration.

Glenn Glazer

On 06/27/2022 21:25, Janet_Catlady wrote:
On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 06:10 PM, Linda Kilcrease wrote:
Why can't I edit my reply?  Is that intentional?
Editing is disabled in this group (as well as many others) because of the problems it causes. Not sure whether that was your question.

I've never encouraged rewriting history, I mean, editing messages in any of my groups. After all, there's nothing anyone can do on the website that will change the way the original email looks in my mailboxes.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 02:09 AM, Linda Kilcrease wrote:
The point is to make the Replies within a Topic have something (acting like a hashtag or blank field) that would be searchable to group together replies with the same value.
It seems like the the ability to do that is already there with the few responders you have adding a keyword in their replies. The issue of consistency seems to be the lack of a process and/or coordination between those members on which or how those are added. If you define that process as part of your group guidelines then it should be easy to implement and maintain. You could have a list of keywords either in a sticky topic or on a wiki page and update that as needed and you may consider adding a link to the keyword to execute a search for it.

Regards
Andy

Linda Kilcrease

Glenn - other io databases by default allow editing a message and lets you choose to save and resend, so you would get an email with the change.

Linda Kilcrease

Andy, what you write is what we I say we are doing with having only 2 editors.   My point is with many, random editors this would be a potential mess prone to human error, which is why I suggest "make the Replies within a Topic have something (acting like a hashtag or blank field) that would be searchable to group together replies with the same value."

But you do make a point - adding a link to the keyword - but it is not clear to me what you mean.  Can you describe more, steps to do this?

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 04:52 AM, Linda Kilcrease wrote:
other io databases by default allow editing a message and lets you choose to save and resend, so you would get an email with the change.
I don't know what you mean by "other io databases." Are you talking about groups.io groups, or other groups, or some sort of databases? In any case, groups.io allows disabling editing by any individual group. My group has disabled it, as has the beta group, and, in my experience, most groups have now taken advantage of the disable feature, since allowing members to edit their messages (which always get resent in an email, hence the problem) tends to cause more problems than it solves in many cases.

Donald Hellen

Linda . . .

On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 18:10:39 -0700, "Linda Kilcrease" <netmouser@...>
wrote:

Why can't I edit my reply? Is that intentional?
It's disabled in this group. In some groups, I have seen people edit their posts
sometimes 5 times (a few even more than that). It fills the other members'
inboxes with several of what are essentially the same post with only spelling or
grammar corrections, which are annoying.

Often it's the same people who keep doing this, so preventing editing messages
helps those people to read their message before sending. Other members don't
really care about a misspelled word or most grammar issues anyway.

I've disabled it in my most active groups for that reason. It's up the
founder/owner of a group whether to disable editing of posts or not.

Of course, this won't stop people who use an email program to read and compose
posts from sending a new message that's pretty much a copy of the original one,
but it stops those using the website to post messages and replies. Of course, if
everyone is moderated, like in this group, even those can be stopped.

Donald

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 05:50 AM, Donald Hellen wrote:
Of course, if
everyone is moderated, like in this group,
Donald,
Beta is not moderated except for the first message of each new topic.

Donald Hellen

I think it's very aggravating to people who get the digest version of posts.

Donald

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 08:11 AM, Donald Hellen wrote:
I think it's very aggravating to people who get the digest version of posts.
Those on digest only get the latest version of the message when their digest is sent, not all edits.

Duane

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 06:11 AM, Donald Hellen wrote:
the digest version of posts
That's not relevant. The dupes don't appear in the digest.

My post crossed w Duane's.